stickyfishmember
39 posts

Posted:
I just watched the video of the beaming poi and they look really really good. The reason I haven't watched the video before is because so many people have put "beaming poi" down as their worst poi experience. Is there something I'm missing about them? What reasons are there for not liking them?

Love & Peace from a puddle of puzlement

Rob

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
ROFL... Beaming poi you say ?
beaming poi is what made me soooo happy to be a woman... (that is to say : no brain and no balls )

And besides, I heard that the guy who invented them is a psychopath (I can say it now, cause he's asleep... but I'd better run away before he wakes up

On a more serious note. For what little I've spun with them, they're nice and fun. I prefer Sauce lights, but that's cause I'm a woos

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
They're insanely painful, so they have to be evil.

Although since they glow really well, they're probably just quasi-evil, the diet coke of evil - just one calorie, not evil enough

So they're still really, really worth a play.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
anything that uses a double "A" battery is going to hurt. don't use if you hit yourself:
in the head
face
groin
arm
leg
back
neck
shoulder
hand!!
foot

actually, don't use if you hit yourself.

Ask the poier formerly known as phunky!

greenfyregirlSILVER Member
journeyman
55 posts

Posted:
Go on... be brave and get some!

They are a bit on the hard side...'Ouch!'
But on a positive note theyre a really good alternative to fire cuz the lights last and last!

Can anyone say if the electro glo pois are very good? are they as scarey?

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
I LOVE my electroglo!! they're a lot lighter than you think. The plastic give a little when you hit yourself and they make a cool noise against your skull!! they spin a little more like 3 or 4 glosticks, but not as heavy. they're like 9" or something, so it's just wind resistance that makes them feel heavier than they are.
All in all... I'll be getting more!!
good luck!

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I think the beaming poi are great. they're so painful that you learn to not hit yourself pretty quickly. great training for fire I think. certainly not evil, just vengeful.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Ok, i'll say something positive about beaming poi in this thread...

They look nice under a black light (with the beaming poi turned off).

hmmm, go beaming poi.

[ 03 May 2002, 07:25: Message edited by: phunky ]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I'd just like to add that, that black light is now broken because of beaming poi...

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
ROFL....beaming poi...hahaha only crazies play with those!! errrr...guess that means im crazy...well when i get brave and decide touse them!! lol..rally they look great under a blacklight, the led's are awesome!! they weigh about a half pound with the batteries, and they are about the size of a tennis ball and about as hardas a rock!! so id say it equals alot offun and really good looking for spinning...provided that you have a full...errr...what did malcolm call it...o yes a full set of cricket pads and for the gents a box (cup) and dont forget a helmet with a facemask!! lol unless you dont have any teeth!!

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I used to think they were pure evil until I realized that they're relatively decent if you need to perform in a fire unfriendly environment. They're definately more poi than glowstick. And if you've got moves that people will watch, beaming poi are a decent substitute.

My buddy in NYC gave quite a cool performance at an erotic show. At least that's what everyone else said as I have a girlfriend and no longer notice those sorts of things.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I love my beaming poi. Sure they hurt if they hit you in the head, but they are so beautiful, day or night

Trickymember
33 posts

Posted:
Beaming Poi....F*kin GREAT!

They sure as hell make u learn the moves quick, as if you don't, you aint never going to have ANY kids!

Beware, they seem to have an unnatural guidance system to direct them towards any soft parts of your body (particularly for blokes), or to go for your knees, head, hips, ribs, kidneys etc...

Just treat then with respect and they are wicked....!

TrickySmile at a stranger!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Now, an innocent bystander would be totally confused. Here we spin FIRE and we're afraid of a little battery-powered toy?

HELL YES WE ARE!!!!

We know from experience that beaming poi hurt MUCH more than a wick when it hits you. We also know from experience that fire doesn't burn you when it just grazes you.

<> : :

They're HEAVY those beamers. Beautiful but HEAVY. Would be nice if someone would make them out of rubber balls rather than plastic.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
The first time I used mine in public I killed a stray cat, 4 pilled up passers by, a pint of lager, an elderly couple and a partridge in a pear tree.

evil.

they'll lure you into a false sence of security, then break your tibia in 3 places.
If you're lucky.

good adrenalin rush though...

Jo.

ps. They aren't that bad really, you've got to use them nice and slow though, don't go nuts.

[ 08 May 2002, 04:27: Message edited by: Jo ]

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
the beamers look and sound wicked - i especially like the sound of the batteries lasting for 30hrs or wotever it is.
ive just got some electroglo poi and they're the shit! does any1 know how long the batteries usually last?? im waiting for mine to go soon - hope they arn't too expensive?!
wrking my way up to spinnin with fire!

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
for some strange reason mine seem to have some sort of magnetism to my nose. first hour I used them I hit myself 3 times in the nose and nowhere else. I've never hit myself in the nose. ever.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
search 0n ebay for batteries (cr2016). you can get 50 for $25, as opposed to $3 each...

my bad NYC, you're right....
I had 4 monday's in a row

above batteries are for electroglo.

Please use the extra double leaded "AA"s as appropriate to hurt yourself with the beamers

[ 11 May 2002, 02:22: Message edited by: toneman ]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Are you talking about electroglows? Because my beaming run on AA batteries.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Malcolm, Beaming poi rock

I performed with a set of beamers last night, and played with them for 2.5 hours non stop (I was performing on a footpath/roadway in a fairly busy area). People loved them!!! I also used fire for about half an hour, but seriously, the crowd was far more impressed by the beamers!