Forums > Social Chat > ot: is anyone here a weapons collector?

Login/Join to Participate

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
Since poi and staff, can, and sometimes are considered weapons, i was wondering if any of you collected weapons. I dont mean guns, more like swords, knifes, and other sharp objects (or not, maces are still weapons).Id really like to collect swords, and other sharp objects. Unfortunatly, Im still kinda young, and my parents dont aprove, and I dont have the money to buy them.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually, I am fairly adept at stage combat techiniques and fencing (enough to hold my own agaist our expert at a faire last Thursday night). I have a small yet lovely collection of weapons on my bedroom wall, from daggers to whips and a mace/flail. A friend is making another sword for me, and I am missing one somewhere along the way. However, I will say that most of them have some meaning. The mace was used by my uncle before he died, then it was bequeathed to me. The dagger's are used as show props for Ren Faires, as will be the new sword and the whips. They actually all have practical uses aside from hanging quite tantilizingly on my wall. Oh...and the weapon wall in my bedroom is adjascent to the one that holds all of my chain mail wear. Yummy!Which is next to the cage my python is in....if that gives you any clue into my personality! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
*wonders if Pele lives in a castle*One day im gonna move to Scotland and retire in a castle on a cliff and ride my black andalusion stallion galantly down the beach......*wakes up*------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net**Updates to page coming shortly**

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
If I did Frenzie..I would have the weapon room, chain mail room, and reptile room....not merely walls! smile *sigh* I wish!If and when I will invite you over and you can show me how to swing that new glowey staff o yers in my swinging room (meant swinging about toys..not sex! grin).Back on topic, actually several of my friends are weapons collectors, enthusiasts and creators. I think it comes from being associated with too many Rennies!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
the only weapon like object that i collect are fans. my most weapon like fan is one that i made that is colapsable and is constructed out of brass and copper. one side is highly reflective while the other side is a mate black. it creates a neat visual confusion when combined with light. i like fans because they are subtle because look so pretty, but if you know how to use it's one hell of a neat weapon. there's an edward gory quote that goes something like this: "there once was pretty young mam, who was aproached by a verile man. she said "such leterous displays of passion are quite out of fashion" and fractured his wrist with her fan" smile hee hee...i'd love to have that printed as a buiness card to hand out to nasty old guys that hit on me when dancing. i only know how to use fans for dance form,its difficult to find people that use them as weapons. pretty much tai chi, some forms of kung fu, and shintaido are the only marshal arts forms that i know of that use them in that way. i've seen fans for sale in weapon shops that have steel rods and silk webbing. those make an interesting sound when quickly opened or closed.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I have my eyes on some gorgeous katanas and nearly bought an ancient tsuba when i was living in Japan, but it is slightly (rather more than just slightly ...) above my budget for the moment...so in the meantime I have my jo, bokken and tanto for aikido lessons... they are wooden , but I love them very much.shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i have several sets of nunchukas. I have 4 katanas (long swords) and three wakizashi's (short swords)i have at least 7 tantos (knives)I have throwing kinves, bo staffs, three-way chucks, several fantasy knives, 2 barbarian swords, a battle ax (65 lbs) and a mace. Brass knucles, two cane swords.i think thats about it.------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
all my swords are full functional. one of the Katanas has been folded over so much, i actually hacked through a store bought katana that belonged to a friend of mine.if you want some good quality swords or knives that are functional and not too expensive, go to Atlantacutlery.com their prices are pretty good on most of their stuff, and their products are not cheaply made. It can help you get started. But be warned, it is very contagious. If you show your parents that they are for display only (unlike Pele's whips and S&M tools :wink )thwy shouldnt have a problem with it. Start small and work your way up. Weapons displayed correctly can really make a room look good. Almost peaceful.good luck

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
i did medieval re-creation for a while so i got tons of shite like dat.two daggers, a swords a shield , 12 gage steel helmet, 11th century engligh gown, Elizabethan gown, ive faught in medival wars..but i wasnt allowed to use maces as im one of those spinners and could really hurt someone with eh skill blah blah.. i dont live in a castle but one day i will dammit ------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
thanx for the site super, very cool stuff there. And of course i want the weapons for display smile I have no need for real weapons, but my parents dont seem to trust me winkIm mostly interested in the fantasy weapons, which are most expensive, but since I prolly wont start collecting until i move out, Ill just start saving money smileBTW, has anyone ever seen a Manriki Chain. It looks like a short meteor and ninjas used it counter swords (i think).

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Manriki are actually not shorter than meteors, in fact a proper Manriki can be over 10 feet long. Appropriately used they were weilded to disarm and opponent by swinging one end to wrap around an opponents weapon or body part while the other end was then used to strike. Very effective indeed.Sorcha...I too was/am a reinactor, a SCA-dian to be exact (for those who don't know, the Society for Creative Anachronism) and have costumes spanning the dark ages to late Ren. They are a fabulous source for weaponry facts, general info, lessons and techiniques. I have noticed that most on here are somehow acquainted with the marial arts, however my training came from the British Isles style of weaponry and fighting. Am I the only one here with that?One of the best things I ever saw was a cloak and "dagger" (more like short sword) fight. I am working on something along these lines using fire and I think it will be a real crowd pleaser but shhhhhh....it's a secret! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
I have a huge collection of weapons ranging from swords to clubs to flails to daggers to even flexible weapons. Not to mention I am proficient in all of them. Yes it is a very adicitive hobby. In fact I once or twice, (actually it was about six times,) that I spent my whole paycheak on them. Oops.