Jackalmember
3 posts

Posted:
I've been told kero is a carcinegen(gives you cancer),is this true?
I know pure kero isn't but the Blue stuff in the bottles usaualy isn't 100% pure it has carinegenic additives?
Help me please.

Don't listen to anything this man says. They are insane, illogical thoughts constituted by us, the voices in his head.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Yes, it is very very bad for you.
Don't swallow it.

Jesus helps me trick people.

carnelian angelmember
31 posts

Posted:
hey-
there's an interesting thread on the social board right now titled "lighting up"-

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Yes it is a carcinegen... It worries me too But I don't think it's as bad as smoking a pack a day or standing on a busy street breathing in the fumes (not that that makes it any better ) I'd really love to find a non toxic fire twirling fuel. I've searched around abit though and it seems that just about anything that burns gives off some sort of smelly, unhealthy crap (even wood fires) so I don't know what to do I love fire!
Sorry I'm no help, but I'm on the mission too!

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Look, here's my take, and I'm speaking as someone with a fair amount of study under my belt into this field:

About ten years ago, someone came out with a study that using an electric razor increased cancer incidence because of the EMF from the razor. Not two months later, someone came out with a study showing that the foaming agents used in shaving cream might be carcinogenic. Right after that, someone came out with a study suggesting that the irritation to the skin caused by wearing a beard might cause cancer.

Here's another one: Testosterone is classified as a carcinogen by the state of California. Before you ladies start snickering and pointing, so is estradiol (estrogen). And cell phones. There's evidence coming out of a lab at Stanford that caffeine may even be a carcinogen. And yeah, kero is also a carcinogen.

Life causes cancer, folks. Every second, every cell in your body has several thousand DNA damage events occur, most of which are fixed by your enzymes.

There are some really dumb things that you can do. You can walk around breathing kero fumes all day every day (only open your kero outside, and try to get as little on you as you can). You can put the stuff in your mouth. You can smoke cigarettes. You can go waltzing around in the sun all day every day without sunscreen.

But in the end, a healthy, non-smoking poi spinner isn't going to be at as large a risk for cancer as someone who does any of the above things.

And the other thing is get routine health check-ups. If you catch a cancer early, it can be cured. If you catch it late...well...you know what happens.

Be well.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Facts and logic? Interesting... it just might make sense...

(Sarcastabitch for "Well said Mike")

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Short quick point...if everything in the world gives you cancer, then you're going to have a hard time avoiding it all.

What might be better is to do healthy things (like eating fruit & vege's, exercises, having your 8 litres of water a day etc etc) rather than avoiding carcinogens...

Makes it a lot less to remember all at once as well...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?