Page:
pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i know the fire sword thing has been discussed, but i was wondering if anyone had any different ideas when using titanium, if that would be worse to use, or maybe better. i have the capabilities to weld it, basically what i have are titanium tubes to work with and all the tools to weld and add stuff to it. so any differences that people know if between using titanium and say aluminum would be greatly appreciated.

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
okay,
how about a titanium staff? anyone interested?

anyone got a light?

Damiamember
15 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't titanium be far heavier than aluminium for a staff? Although I must say I'm curious as well about what people think. I think it would just sound so cool to say, "I have a titanium staff"

Mother always told me I'd wet my bed if I played with fire. Guess I'll just have to buy some rubber sheets.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
personally i like my staff a little heavier than aluminum so my new titanium staff is perfect. the only thing i might have a problem with is getting the screws to thread. but i was thinking of maybe using lock tite, actually someone else told me to use it, but i dont think it would hold up to the flame, anyone know...

anyone got a light?

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
i know that cabiri uses titanium fans, maybe contact them to find out how well that metal is working for them.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
thanks,
do you know how i could do that...

anyone got a light?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Titanium is very hard to machine. Rather than screwing into the titanium, you might want to drill holes and run your screws straight through, into nuts or (what I use) screw-posts on the other side. You'll have better radial balance that way, anyhow.

There's an excellent article on metallurgy for non-metallurgists at:
https://www.solace.mh.se/~turbo/mek/metals/metal.htm

It's really intended for cyclists (and so concerns itself mostly with steel, aluminum, and titanium), but it has *a lot* of useful information.

One neat property of Ti is its elasticity--I know that Charles has problems with his staff deforming plastically. With Ti, there's a much better chance that it'll snap back. I understand it's actually pretty weird in that respect.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:

*Goes all bug eyed and starts drooling???*

So how much does it actually cost to get about 3m of titanium tubing?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
...in New Zealand...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
titanium is usually really pricey, so figure on two to three times more than pure aluminum. I say 'pure' as many places that people claim sell aluminum tubing, actually do not (like home depot, for example) they sell a steel/tin alloy that is much heavier and much cheaper than aluminum. It also retains heat for far longer than aluminum does too.

Jesus helps me trick people.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
it is free,
well at least for me. but if you are extra nice...

anyone got a light?

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Titanium tubing for free!!

What does a man have to do to get free titanium?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Come on Pozee, don't keep us in suspense...were you joking or being truthful about free titanium tubing?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I don't know what a man has to do to get free titanium, but I got 2 free titanium screws in my hand after breaking it badly due to very poor cricket playing skills....

If you break enough bones, you might end up with enough for a staff...

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
no joke. i am making a titanium staff as we speak. it is going to be tough, i would love to have some titanium self drilling screws, but i dont know where to find something like that. anyways...

anyone got a light?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I think you should be able to use a tap on that Titanium, taps are made of EXTREAMLY hard metal, there isn't much that they cant cut through. (but then again I have never even touched Ti before, but it couldn't hurt to try.)

for that matter, we always just use wire to fasten our cotton towel wicks...

mmmm free Ti....

You see? There ARE advantages to working in a bomb factory...

[ 04 May 2002, 05:57: Message edited by: santanatwo ]

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
I had considered making a titanium staff a while back and it isn't as expensive as you might think. Check out https://www.titaniumsports.com/tubing/

They used to have some prices listed and you could get tubing for $3-$6 per foot depending on the level of quality.

Pozee,
If you have the ability to weld the titanium, you might consider drilling holes and welding in a threaded insert like they use to attatch water bottle cages on bikes.

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
I like LLcoolPats idea, and drilling staight through(I forget who suggested that).
But I can tell you locktite will not work.

you heat it up to loosen it...so, the only time it would be locked tight is when you were not using them

I smell something burning.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Shiznot--

Actually, you might be able to make the loctite idea work. There is high-temperature thread-locker used in engines. I'm not sure, but I think that'll hold up to the heat we get.

Of course, this raises the question: how the hell do you get the screws out when you *want* to take them out? I'm not sure.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey pat,
i thought about welding some threads on there, but then it wourl be a pain iun the a$$ to get the wick on there nice and tight. any more ideas???

anyone got a light?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
use bailing/steel wire and drilled holes. you can even sharpen the ends of the wire with a belt sander or something to make them easy to push through... then if you are wimpy and want to cover the wire just sew on a last layer of wicking with fire thread.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
dun dudu dun,
i have finished my titanium staff and it is beautiful. now it is time to add some artwork to it seeing as it will be used for a very long time. it is just as heavy as my conduit staff, but ten times the strength.

anyone got a light?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:

I cant belive you can get titanium at 6 dollars a meter! id start engraving fractals into it if i was you pozee

Aww, i was really happy with my ally staff too.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
fractals, not a bad idea. i need a good name for my new baby though. any suggestions? myabe ill have to ask in the social area...

anyone got a light?

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
I look forward to seeing it Pozee!!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
good toy

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
In case anyone else is interested, mcmaster.com has CP titanium in 5' lengths. A 1" diameter tube is about $52.

I'm not convinved that Ti is the best material for a staff, and it is definitely hard to work with, but hey, it's out there.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
adam, you know when i first got that titanium pole i thought it was going to be hell to make the staff. but it really was not as hard as i thought. i bought some titanium drill bits for like 5 bucks and made a starter hole, then i had the 2 inch zinc self drilling screws adn it actually all went through pretty easily. i made 2 staffs so yeah i broke one drill bit. but that was to be expected. all in all it took about 20 minutes.

it does all come down to preference though. i like a good heavy staff and titanium is just right. not too heay but definately not too light. and very durable, at least that is what i am told...

anyone got a light?

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
this, i'm gonna love to see. mazeltov!

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Yamesostranger
5 posts

Posted:
Hey!

I would like to buy titanium staff but I have some questions for that. What thickness of wall do you prefer in this kind of material? How about the diameter of the staff? And what grade of titanium, you think is the best?

I have offer now for titanium staff (19,05 mm diameter and 0,9 mm wall, grade 2) for 30$/m - but it is a little thinner than I used to spin (my old staff - 20 mm x 1,5 mm - Ali)

callan_concentrateBRONZE Member
hmmm
14 posts

Posted:
hey, the titanium tubing you mentioned should be okay for the job. The wall thickness is at the minimum you would want. You might want to consider going up to a 22mm (7/8th) or a 25.4 mm (1") diametre tube if you are planing to make a long single staff. The 19.05 diametre is great for short doubles though.
When drilling the screw holes make sure you drill them in a drill press set on a slow speed, clamped with a vice, use plenty of coolant and a carbide tipped drill. Drill the hole size close to the screw size so that the screw is mainly biting into the dowell inside the tube and wont shread itself on the tube when screwing it in.

We use a 6061 t6 grade of aluminum for our 3 piece staffs. This is an aircraft /structural grade tube. We have it extruded for us but you should be able to find it off the shelf if you look hard enough.

Page: