Forums > Technical Discussion > What's the Brightest poi toy on the Market?

Login/Join to Participate

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Hi!

I simply need to know what in your experience is the brightest thing you can put on the end of your strings (excluding fire!).

I perform short (5min) stage shows so i dont need the brightness to last very long, i just want INTENSITY!

Thanks Y'all!

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
try high intensity orange glow sticks, they glow really bright for about 30 minutes then they go down to normal brightness. that or you can get the beaning poi...o i mean "beaming" poi lol they're really bright

good luck

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Don't have much experience with anyting other than glowsticks and fire, but I think that the brightest set you could get would be something LED based. Don't know if you're into electronics, but the best thing to would be to build your own...you could put as many high-intensity LEDs as you like that way. Two or three of those things are phenomenally bright. All you would need after that is something to put over the LEDs to diffuse the light, like cloudy plastic. I want to make a set like this and haven't thought of an ideal diffuser for the otherwise too-directional light, but I'm going to hardware store soon to get parts and if I see anything I'll let you know.

nasumember
35 posts

Posted:
www.globall.com

They make the briest coolest looking stuff I've ever seen.

If you want a crowd to turn their head and drop their jaws in disbelief in what they are looking at..

get the programable pro twirling clubs, and put them on strings.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Not counting Hindu, I can only speak from what i've twirled with.
Emergency/hi intensity orange *IS* hella bright, but i reckon the Juggleart electroglo poi with new batteries are almost annoyingly bright. I mean it. it makes no difference if you power em with single CR2032 or double CR2016 3V Lithium button batteries. This brightness is due to two things:

i. the hi-intensity LED is waaaaay beyond the 8+ MilliCandella brightness. and no i can't spel.
ii. bark meow!
iii. the 'diffusing' effect that paddy mentoined is quite important. the best (brightest) plastic does not allow all the light through at once! it internally reflects along the short length of the poi, causing a brilliant illumination - if ya don't but the real durable set that I think Malcolm stocks (are they the same?? they look it..) then making them is a pain in the ovaries. if you DO decide to make them instead, the best 'diffusing' material to get was the translucent plastic of a shopping bag from an aussie chain of hip clothing called 'Dangerfield' but im sure if you go shopping, you'll find a similar plastic. It was thick and appeared much birghter then any other plastic i've seen or twirled. UV reactive acrylic for the shaft dun hurt either! Finally, scoring notches along the shaft may be a good idea, but i've never done that yet.

Good luck on yer non-fire quest! I won't bore you with another recitation of the glo v. fire debate... unless you teach me how to make sparkly poi!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Paddy,

Have you ever thought of bubble wrap? Its cheap and diffuses the light in some quite interesting ways without taking away too much brightness. You can wrap it several times around too, with a SLIGHTLY different result each time.

The other one you could try is a pingpong ball, light, readily available and fairly even on the diffuse front i should imagine. Not too sure what you would do with the batteries though.

Gruff

884 posts

Posted:
Gruff, those are both wicked ideas! I believe I have some bubble wrap downstairs, but I'm yet to even get the LEDs, so I won't be able to test it for a while. And pingpong balls would be perfect...I've always wanted to make a set nice small and bright set, like photons, but without them being as directional as photons are. It's annoying that you can only see photon light when they're facing you...pingpong balls would be the perfet remedy.
thanks again man! I'll find this thread when I've tried those out and post an update regarding how it all works...

337 posts

Posted:
actually paddy have you tried the photon rav'n lights?...i use them on my practice poi with the tennis balls on, i have them wrapped about twice with bubble wrap which is for protection only, and the light actually reflects off of the tennis balls and looks *really* cool, you should try it, if you have the rav'n lights,

*cough*which-i-sell*cough*

*looks all innocent*

email me...xtremravr@aol.com....

884 posts

Posted:
Never even heard of the rav'n lights...how are they different from regular photons?

(and how much are they?)

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Thanks Y'all!
Nice ideas, keep 'em coming!
(i think glo clubs on string may be a bit on the heavy side for me! Ouch!)
I Warm my Ultra High intensity glo sticks up (in my armpits) before i go on stage, seems to work a treat, definately makes em brighter!
Axis.

337 posts

Posted:
photon rav'n lights strobe red, blue, green, in either a seemless ribbon or in a strobe manner, they have a sort of a covering over the led itself to disperse the light in every direction and the top allows you toput crystals, err plastic crystals, on the end to make the light bigger!! wai...err..go here...

https://www.photonlight.com/ravn/index.html

that is them!! they are absolutely awesome!! especially if you go to raves!!

have fun kids!!

FeniXTranzmember
17 posts

Posted:
since you do 5 minute show i would definatley recommend ULTRA high intensity glowsticks they only glow for 5 minutes . once you crack them youll be amazed at how bright they are it lights up a whole room and in my opinion is the closest looking thing to fire poi

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I'm afriad to buy any more photon type lights cause after a month I broke mine I probably shouldn't have used them when I practiced new moves but still, they don't last forever and arn't terribly cheap.

337 posts

Posted:
HEY JELLO!~~i had the same problem, but what i did is wrap about a 1"x4" strip of bubble wrap around the photonand tape it securely to the photon, havent had mine break yet, and beleve me ihave put them thru hell...lol...the rav'n lights are way cool and really nice a parties..

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
oh yes, I have used the ravn' lights at a party or two, people actually walked up and asked me to use them. Don't know what that means besides that my area lacks skilled poi people. Anyways, they do rock

I wish I could buy more, but I have no cash, well I have enough to go to a really cool party this weekend, but no more to buy lights. Lights or party...hmmm...definitly party

But if I ever do get cash and more lights, I'll try the bubble wrap.

Benstickinmember
8 posts

Posted:
i like the sauce lights because the they take normal batteries and if you take it apart and take the plastic off the top they are like three photons in one and have dozen difrent settings.i have the big ones and the mini sauces and i would have to say the little ones are brighter and take a lighter battery .and you can take the 15 inch glowstick and empty and clean it and put it on the end for bigger bright.if your in to that kind o stuff

nasumember
35 posts

Posted:
My favorite part about the Rave-n-Lights, is when I recently changed the batteries in mine I discovered a little message on the inside.

Made me really happy.

"Dance like no one is Watching."

nasu

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
you can now get pois from Aerotech (www.globalls.com)

The best feature that I like is that you can strobe between 2 colours of choice (sorta like the rav'n photons only brighter) or, my favorite, have 2 different colours on strobe.. mmmmmm, bright flashy lights cooooool..

+

if you get two of the programmable juggling balls and secure them, you can set them to change colour on catch.. so when you do a butt, foot, chest, head, knee, crotch stop (ouch!!), it changes colours.

[ 02 May 2002, 03:18: Message edited by: FieryFlow ]