Forums > Social Chat > were did YOU find this place...

Login/Join to Participate

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
I found out about home of poi when my friend got this leaflet about it with some pois she bought...were did you find it...? Cutie tongue tongue tongue

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
On the internet. No one told me i just went looking. That was nearly 2 years ago now. smile[This message has been edited by Thistle (edited 28 September 2001).]

Are we nearly there yet?

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429499466)

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
I first came to this site from an internet cafe in Spain last year. I was spending a few months over there recuperating after quitting my last job smile Figuring I'd be forced to while away endless hours on sunny beaches I thought I'd take these poi toys with me (which I'd bought on impulse after seeing them put to good use at Glastonbury).It was there on the beach that I mastered the basic moves, running back to the cafe now and then to watch that 'thread the needle' video one more time. Ahh good times! Sun, sand, sea, san miguel and no work...Course I kinda let it slide once I returned to the icy plains of England in the grip of winter, but I've been tryin to step it up again lately!

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
I was surfing the web, when I first started since then it's the best i've found so far.F_S------------------Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
A long time ago I searched for a glowstick spinning site and HOP came up but I didn't do it back then, I just wanted to watch. Then in march when I wanted to learn, I just remembered the site and learned all kinds of moves I never thought I would be able to. LOL, a butterfly seemed impossible to me then.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
about 6 months ago a guy came up to me while I was twirling glow sticks on campus. He said "are you doing POI?"I said "say what? is that like Kung Fu?"He said "NO. Check on the internet using a search engine"The rest is history.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
same thing with me.. i was looking for sights that would show me moves with glowsticks, and it poped up. So i proceeded to register and post my first dorky post about being "stoked" that i found his site and how i already knew most of the moves featured in the Lessons section. I think i ran some people off when i forst started..I know there was this one guy named Ali Babba. He did not like me. He left after about a month. <> was it something i said?"S"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
Surfing. I found HOP and fell in love.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Link from another site, though I will be dipped if I can remember which one....though I think it was a circus arts/ juggling supply site. Dunno, then again, I am just thrilled we are all here, no matter how we got here! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FevaGirlmember
21 posts

Posted:
From a friend!Fevagirl wink

Peace, Beats, Love and Light!

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
By surfing the internet for a site with moves/vids (but not before accidently stumbling across websites devoted to poi pudding confused

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Did a search on POI when i got back from Byron with my first set of practice poi, i still believe that the best twirlers in the world live in Byron :P(not that i have actually seen twirlers from anywhere else really...so maybe im just biased :P)------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net**Updates to page coming shortly**

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
off-topic:Superman, did you know that a whale's penis is called a dork?I learned this today, when i happened across a site of useless facts in my attempt to win Malcolm's latest quiz!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Theomember
19 posts

Posted:
Surfing for some moves to try out the day I got my firestaff, hah, I should have guessed that the site would be based in my hometown... smile ------------------"That is perfect. This is perfect. Perfect comes from perfect. Take perfect away from perfect, the remainder is perfect. May peace and peace and peace be everywhere." :)

That is perfect. This is perfect. Perfect comes from perfect. Take perfect away from perfect, the remainder is perfect. May peace and peace and peace be everywhere. :)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I just typed in "Juggling.co.nz" to see what would come up, was initially looking for a juggle sitehe he he------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
just a little poi+fire search!!

fe fi foo fun

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Uh, I found it on my own?Okay, Pele kept talking about it and I thought I could share some of my experiences and opinions. So here I am. [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">------------------[/image]Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Mr.Google found it for me!!:-)~M

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Snap Neeko & Thistle! I went looking a couple of years ago and at first found nothing but Hawaiian poi goop or adverts from performers frown...then I stumbled across this place! Heaven...My learning curve shot through the roof!FP xx

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
i was running a sound board for a playhouse here and i learned to spin glowsticks by myself as there were some performers that were doing it i thought it was neat later on a about 6th montsh later i ran into this girl that did it too and then she told me about the site... ------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
isnt whale dork a delicasy in some countries??man you learn something new everyday."S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
I met this really cool guy named Rich at a youth group event that my region hosted. He was damn good and showed everyone up, but it was fun. Then in February I ran into him at a convention out in Los Angeles. It was great seeing him again and spinning together. There he told me about HOP. As everyone else has already said, the rest is history.HEY RICH, it's Adam from GER, where are you?????PS: Sorry about the whole "showing us up" thing. I'm a teen living in the US, what did you expect? wink

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
Hehehe!!!!!!!! I was watching the burning man 2001 video. I've been watching for a few years, over the net, but I always just thought I'd want to be there to watch the burn, but then I saw all those fire dancers dancing, and I was like, "wow!" I thought it was some thing I had to have like a mentor and master and everything, but then VOILA! I bumped into HOP!*bump*Hehehe, and we all live happily ever after.-=M.D=-[This message has been edited by MystikDancer (edited 29 September 2001).]