Kimmember
46 posts

Posted:
I am just like learning how to this this and i only get to see the person who teaches me about 1 time a month, and i was just wondering if there is any way not to have ribbons and tails, because the only ones i find have them.

Walking slowly through the rain, with out worries ther's no pain, when you see a shooting star, all your problems seem so far, if you give true love and trust, just give me all you got.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:

you can always remove them, no ?

shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I started out with shoe laces and glowsticks. They are very light weight compared to poi, but you can weigh them down... also tennis balls work nicely to learn on.

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i used to get plain tennis balls and put small holes in them, the tie a knot in some string and jamm the knot through the hole. its a pretty easy way of avoiding tails without having to maim you poi!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Or, get the ribbons and tails and tie them up with a rubber band. Then you have them to play with but not when learning.

Balled up socks and shoe strings is what I learned on.

Buzz Poi allow you to tuck in the tails, and with the addition of a short ribbon to tie them up, you can untuck them when you please.

I also made a set of my own heavily weighted practice poi from swatches of cloth, kidney beans and cording.

Just be creative!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
When I used to work in the drome (R.I.P ) in london a great thing everyone used to do was to get a

brightly coloured pair of long socks or leggings or something along those lines and ram a tennis ball

down each one. sounds odd but its great for practicing especially if your having

a problem with tails.

Failing this do what everyone does when they first ever hear of poi.

quote:
TENNIS BALLS ON STRING
moooo

[garbo]

[ 09 April 2002, 21:43: Message edited by: garbo ]

be excellent to each other: safe:

Kimmember
46 posts

Posted:
Thank you for all of the help yall

Walking slowly through the rain, with out worries ther's no pain, when you see a shooting star, all your problems seem so far, if you give true love and trust, just give me all you got.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
From a Thrift store i managed to buy a pair of brightly coloured monkey plush toys that have really long thin tails. blue and orange, they were designed as hanging toys but i couldn't walk past them without imagining how they'd be like to twirl with. will post a silly photo of them here when i can...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always