Forums > Technical Discussion > Just like learning to ride a bike, you never forget...

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Yeah right. thats what I always thought too.Until last week.Was practicing some fire when the local group of hardcore mountain bikers cam eup as they usually do and one of them borrowed my unicycle.Then one of themoffered me a go on his bike. It was then that I realised I'd been unicycling for two years now and had never ridden a bike during that time ever.I fell off almsot straight away, the pedals have no friction going backwards, there's these wierd handlebar things that u use to turn instead of twisting at the waist and the brakes are stuck on them too!I honestly couldn't and kept running into things.Has anyone else had something they never thought they would lose as a skill and then been proved wrong later in life?!?!?------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Agreed on the bike riding. I learnt to ride as a kid, and that took long enough, but it was an investment I was prepared to make, because apparently you never forget.However when in Thailand, attempting to cycle around one of the old city sites, I discovered that it is soooooo not true...R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Actually, i haven't had a practice session in poi for a good 3 months now. I picked them up today because i have an audition for this new club thats opening up in our city. Anyways, long story short, i hit my nuts with my poi for the first time in like 8 months... gawd.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong== []Dro Spinner ====== []Dhunky ===

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Pro Spinner Phunky hit in the nuts??? confused .........what is the world coming to? wink

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

3,638 posts

Posted:
Ohh....and as for forgetting stuff you though you'd learned for good? BTB Weave.I learned it a while ago on a 'new move spree' but haven't used it since. Until last weekend. I spent the whole weekend re-learning how to beat myself violently in a desperate attempt to slip back into a move I'd put so much effort into learning in the first place. It's very strange, as I knew I could do it but somehow couldn't quite co-ordinate my limbs. Hasn't happened before......strange.

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
I was in Lourdes with HCPT and was doing a juggling and magic show that i took round to the various hotels in the evenings to entertain the children, With the finale to my act being a straight jacket escape.I use a jacket that is not gaffed or faked, thus making it a wee bit of an effort to escape. Hundreds of times in practice and performance with no problem at all.Fourth and final show of the night - Could I do it? COULD I HECK!!! I had to get a proiest to let me out. AAARRGH!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
heh, ok in my defence i was trying a VERY HARD SUPER DUPER DIFFICULT ADVANCED BETWEEN THE LEGS MOVE that you lowly amatuer spinners will never ever comprehend smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong== []Dro Spinner ====== []Dhunky ===

3,638 posts

Posted:
yeah yeah...... wink

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Oh, sorry Phunky, (bows and scrapes the ground where you have walked).I guess I'm not doinf them right because all of my lowly BTL moves are easy now, especially the doubles moves... grin grin grinYou must be pulling something very spectacular to make them hard again...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Damn straight i am :P------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong== []Dro Spinner ====== []Dhunky ===

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
*looks at move section*------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
A neo nazi skinhead once said to me:it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always