KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'm using like a 3'5" piece of 2*2, is there anything wrong with that or should i look for something narrower and or something rounder? (I have a towel taped on teh center so the center grip itself is pretty round adn it doesn't hurt my hands or anything.)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If you're comfy with it then it's fine. I've made most of my staffs myself (I have 9). I got the recipe for my 2 fire staffs from Incendium. I also have 2 staffs made simply from wooden dowel, approx 1m in length and painted uv colours2 Electroglo staffs1 homemade attempt at a glowstaff2 short staves that I've been carving to make them more interesting

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
What C@ntus said.Use what you feel comfortable with, and what seems right for you.Here's a brief breakdown of what some of the different styles are useful for, it is by no means a defintire guide, but I've found the size and weights of certain staffs to make types of moves easier to learn...Heavy staffs - Better for : contact moves, accurate throws, building muscle strength, trident style moves and wraps... Light staffs - Better for : Long sessions on stage, extreme speed moves, carrying long distances, accidental bashing in of body parts, close group work, palmspins (grip is more important here than weight though)... Thin Staffs - Better for : finger spins and palm spins, burnoffs (the thinner the better), flick-type moves with wrist and/or fingers, finger wraps, open handed moves, baton style moves...Thick Staffs - Better for : contact moves, limb wraps, closed hand moves (figure 8 etc), double handed grips, stalls (especially head stalls with a hat)...I'm sure there are those who will disagree with, so take everything with a grain of salt...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yum.... salt.i wanna tasty staff. mmmm steak. thick 2" steak with mushroom sauce, slow cooked so it's still a lil' pink inside. Ah geeze another 2 hours 'till lunch! just my luck. frown

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
mmmmm... Steaky.I think someone should make a staff full of candy - then when it is spun fast enough, flaming candy would fly all over the place... yummm.

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Burning, sticky horror from the skies? Good plan....

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
well thanks guys i have to say i suck ok that's cause i just started but still. i like the weight, i can throw it well at least. grin anyhow, i like the idea of flaming candy flying out. tongue

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
We could have the "candy staff of death" to go with the sparkly poi...Question is, would you use M&Ms, or Jaffas?R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
Laughs at Charles's Light staffs - Better for ... accidental bashing in of body parts.Ohh so very very true.

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
personally i'd go for jaffa's - but the possiblities are endless!!what about popcorn kernals? that could be interesting! smile

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Gabrielmember
13 posts

Posted:
I might be getting off the subject of candy, but I made a staff a while ago that I've fallen in love with. I'm more of a poi person so I never liked the amount of control and lack of flow that staffs have compared to poi.A whil back in some thread somebody mentioned a staff with hanging wicks.Good idea.So I took some cheep foam padded speed chucks (The nunchucks with the ball bearings). I stripped off all the foam and cut the middle link of the chain. Went to the hardwear store, found some aluminum toobing that was wide enough to perfectly slide over the plastic shaft of the chucks. Put stove screws into the piping & the plastic shaft of the chucks so they stayed in place. I taped up the staff and clipped big cathedral wicking on the lose links of the hanging chains and it's my new best friend.you have to keep up the torque and the speed of the staff to keep the wicks out, but not that much. The center of gravity is to die for, and because of the weight and the torque it is amazing for palm spins, wraps, and it has half a mind of it's own, like poi. I use the same wick for my staff and my poi, and this sucker is durable as all get.I'm thinking of ways to improve it, maybe use toobing that's the same thickness of the plastic shaft of the chucks and drill it in so the thick peice of toobing is like a joiner between the center peice and the chain that hangs off the ends. This will enlarge the center of gravity and might reduce the weight, especialy on a longer staff. It would make it kinda funny, so there would be a dip in the center, but I like that, helps me know where the center is when I get a little carried away.I singed my hair last time I did a wrap over the front of my neck cuz the hanging torches were to close. Oops, well it's spring and time for a hair cut anyway.-Gabriel------------------I like puppies.[This message has been edited by Gabriel (edited 19 March 2002).]

How much junk could a ninja chuck if a ninja could chuck junk with nunchucks?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Gabriel (tut tut tut!) "As a poi person so I never liked the amount of control and lack of flow that staffs have compared to poi."Hmm, methinks in a staff thread it might be more tactful to say "Staffs are different to poi and I haven't yet got to same point of control and flow with staffs" Not that I'm biased or anything ( wink )Personally, I feel that poi are harder to control, and much more dependant on speed and circles that a good ole staff... grin wink ------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Gabrielmember
13 posts

Posted:
No...actually I agree with you Charles...that's what I ment when I said that Staves have more control and lack of flow. You have to follow the poi and trust them. So when I was working with lighter staves I didn't feel the same inavoidable flow as I did with the staff. Now with the chains and weight on the staff I find it almost spins and rolls on it's own, but with so much momentum and flying ends it has a lack of control that makes it feel more...um...dynamic?In any case...I like it. I was thinking of what I could do if I worked on shortening the center so I could clip torces on the ends and use it like a 3 section Kung-fu staff...hum...maybe a little toooo dynamic?------------------I like puppies.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna make myself a 5 section staff. Is that more, or less dynamic than a 3 sectioned one?

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
hmm how would i weight a thinner staff... i bashed in my head and elbows too often so that in a course of about two days i decided throwing blindly over my head would be better with a light staff... but now that i'm working with one (it's also a little shorter than i'd like) i don't like the weight at all. I can do some finger work now because it is thinner but i can't do palmspins with this one (at least not more than about 360) and throwing is harder. I know that practice woudl fix this but i really don't like the feel so i wa kind of wondering about a way to add weight w/o sacrificing the thin size? (7/8") [and could i do it w/o increasing the bashing in of head power of the ends?]-this part is a lot less important

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
If you want to add weight to the staff, you should do it at the ends not the middle to make sure that it spins nicely.. or depending on what the staff is made of, insert a heavy(ish) tube with a smaller diametre through the centre of the staff giving an even weight throughout.. or do bothTo stop the ends from hurting if they hit you wrap them in something soft (like rolls of fabric).Tom

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Exactly right, Tom. What Kyrian might find useful too is that the padding you put on the ends of a practice staff (or kevlar for a non practice staff) will also weight it better, especially out at the ends as Tom has already suggested.End weighted staffs like to turn and take less effort as well as being much better for wraps. I definitely prefer them as well as the fact that they emulate fuel-laden staff nicely as well.------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Are you serious, Cantus? A five section? Prepare yourself for massive bruising and severe concussions. I own a three section and it is pure evil. I would think a five section would be even more ungainly. Good luck smile------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Also, bear in mind that just because you stop one end doesn't necesarily mean that the other end is going to as well.

Jesus helps me trick people.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
so what would i want to use to weight the ends?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It's going to have a clip in the middle (attaching the middle three sections together) so that it spends mostly of it's life as a 3 section.

Meh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Ur a braver tool than I, cantus! Fully a 3 sectional staff should ONLY be sold with a skating helmet!!!and what's with this Phreakin' staff/poi animosity??? didn't ya know that historically, Romeo was a poi-twirler and Juliet a Staff twirler!yeah! for shame!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yeah, but theirs was a doomed love and they paid for it with their deaths.....*not really sure of the point Bender was trying to make*

Meh

Gabrielmember
13 posts

Posted:
Cantus,How long are you makeing the sections? Are they all in proportion or are certain sections larger? The more sections you get the closer your getting to just working with Meteors, I figure. Not that that's a bad thing, I still need to work on my set and make it nice and practicy.As for the other end comming around and conkin' ya in the head, spend enough time with a 3 section, get to know it, invite it to meet your parents, and spend late nights acidentaly breaking lamps in your apartment while you try to recreat your favorate scenes from The 36th Chamber and Shalin Vs. Ninja. Eventualy you will know excactly where the links are so you can wrap it around you like giant nunchucks and spin it out like a whip, into a staff again.Hum...the more I think about it the more I want to burn it. But now I think about the Nunchuck post and how it might not seem smart to have fire so close to the grips.hum------------------I like puppies.