Forums > Technical Discussion > q's on homemade poi(the real one)

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ok, definetly a super newbie here, but I made my first set of practice poi today...., ok, i think my computer hates me but we are going to try this again. Anyhow, I had wire parshially threaded through a tennis ball and now i have it super duct taped so it would stay on cause i kept breaking teh left-handed one. I think that'll be ok, let me know if you think it will hold, but my real question is about chains, i haev 48" ones right now and i wrap them to shorten it, cause i could get those with handles, adn my handles are really soft. (which is nice). Anyhow, I'm wondering if that's ok or if i should try and make shorter ones or what, how much harder is it really if they are wrapped?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
The tennis ball problem is simple.... Cut a 1in hole somewhere in the ball. then on the other side punch a small hole. Thread some shoelace or small rope though the small hole. Then tie some key rings on both sides. Trim the string and pull on the keyring then clip onto the outside ring. I started with normal armpit length chains. Until I could do just about everything. Then slowly started adding the same length to them until I ended up with super long chains with links for 5 wicks. It takes alot of getting used and awhole lot of big ole blisters, but gives you somthin extra to throw in when normal moves get boring. Anyone out there have any designs for chains going though the middle of the wicks? Having the wicks clipped onto super long chains makes for some wicked tangles. ------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Not chains but cables. When I made the notorious "string o' pearls", it was five wicks on one uncut piece of cable. Each wick bundle was locked in place with cable sleeves.Take a look at my wick-making recipe athttps://www.crossroads.net/a/writing/firemaking.htmlThe technique I used for the string o' pearls is pretty much the same.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
I love my set of Comet Poi (Thanks Malcolm) but I'm working on a tennis ball poi design so I can make a whole bunch of poi for a bunch of kids that are going to be at a camping trip next month. So here's my design so far:Materials for a single poi:1 tennis ball1 big swivel (From the fishing equipment section of any sports store)1 small metal washerAbout 5 or 6 feet of nylon cord (I bought it in a 100 foot hank from WalMart)1 foot of 1/2" wide soft nylon webbing (available in the climbing department of a good sporting goods store)A crochet hook is a good tool to use when making this design.OK, here we go:Punch 2 small holes in a tennis ball opposite each other.Get a piece of the cord that's long enough to wrap around the tennis ball about 4 or 5 times. (you don't actually wrap it around the tennis ball, but that's how long it needs to be.Put the cord through one end of the swivel. Using the crochet hook pull both ends of the cord through the 2 holes in tennis ball such that the swivel is in the middle of the cord, the cord goes through the tennis ball, and both ends of the cord come out the other end of the tennis ball.Thread the small metal wash over both ends of the cord. This is to keep the pressure on the cord from tearing the tennis ball. I'm not sure if this is really needed, but it seems like over time tearing the tennis ball might become a problem.Bring one end of the cord up and through the loop that the swivel is connected to. Pull all the cord tight and tie the two ends together (If you want to be really cool then use a double fisherman's knot)Handles: Sew the 1/2 inch wide webbing into a loop.String: Using an appropriate length of cord tie the handle to the other end of the swivel (the one that's not already tied to the cord)So that's my design. It's probably overkill as far as being "bomb proof". Also, it's going to be interesting trying to build 10 pairs of these for the camping trip. Wow, I gotta go get working on build 20 poi! wink[This message has been edited by Dru Lee Parsec (edited 16 March 2002).]

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

TEK829member
29 posts

Posted:
Okay, here's my idea..I cut two parallel 1.5" slits in the same side of a tennis ball. I then threaded a heavy-duty key-ring around the resulting strip of tennis ball. This way, if I want them heavier, I can throw lead shot or pennies in for wait (my current tennis balls are 30 cents each).On the end of my chains I have cliplocks so I can put anything on the end of them that I want. Just my....er... 60 cents, I guess... smile-829

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs at you. It's your choi

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
30 cents per tennis ball!I wish I could get a deal like that. I remember going to a swap meet once and seeing a whole bucket of dead tennis balls for some ridiculusly low price but I havn't seen a deal like that since.How do you get yours so cheap?

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

Galawenmember
45 posts

Posted:
Go Here:https://www.homeofpoi.com/makebag.htmIt tell you how to make practice poior Here:https://www.homeofpoi.com/makefire.htmI tells you how to make fire poiGood Luck smile

Give Me FuelGive Me FireGive Me That Which I Desire-MetallicA

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I guess i cheated on my practice poi(tennins balls )i went to home depot and bought two eye bolts and some washers cut a hole in one side small enough to get the bolt through then on the other just big enough to get a socket into fast and easy i am working on a multi wick fire poi now i think it will look awsome i made a triangle out of 3 wicks top wick has an eye on the top and the bottom and the bottom 2 wicks have a small bar seperating them with eye hooks on the top so they can be attachted to the top wick i hope to fire them up tomorrow night they are kind of heavy nut i think they will work just fine ------------------I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
DLP~tek was saying that he has 30 pennies inside of each tennis ball for weight...*shudders away from weight*...tek..how much does that way?? its gotta be really heavy trying to swing those things..no?p.l.u.r.r.xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Gabrielmember
13 posts

Posted:
I was thinking of using the pennies in tennis ball idea to build strenght with poi, but for some reason I used eye-bolts and washers for weight. Didn't like it, not soft and cushy. I've been making my poi smaller and smaller, usualy they are not longer than my forearm because I like moves that swing twords my body and inbetween my arms. Faster, less control, but less chain to tangle.-Gabriel------------------I like puppies.

How much junk could a ninja chuck if a ninja could chuck junk with nunchucks?

*Spinstar*member
6 posts

Posted:
The first sets are the very best... I have thought of some things that are pure genious/purefall-on-the-floor-in-peels-of-laughter-till-your-gut-hurts..a particular set of telephones comes to mind...but a few things were successfull...Hackey Saks with Hemp wound around them(the chains and finger loops are hemp. It can be as intricate or as simple as you like plus hemp is tough!)These can be rather pretty too.Mardi Gras Beads. You just twist to break the neckless into a string and snap them together to make finger loops. Twisting some thread around the joints helps if they tend to come undone. The poi can be another strand of beads knoted up.These don't hurt at all. I use them to get tricks and choriography down so that I avoid a chain lashing!

carnelian angelmember
31 posts

Posted:
my first set of practice poi were unweighted, and i managed to get the basics down with those...a few months later i made a set of wieghted ones, the 30 penny kind...this helped immensely, enabling me to learn wraps, btn, buzzsaw moves, btb moves and to keep my wicks at 180s to eachother during split time moves such as the weave/windmill...until I put weights in I used to hit myself alot...after whacking myself with the weighted ones a few times, my form got better....it also made practice into a fun sweaty adrenaline fueled madness, and prepared me for fire play (fuel soaked 4" wicks are heavy)....hope this may help....

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
Now, when I was making my own juggling practice balls I would weight tennis balls with rice or un-popped popcorn. This makes them easier to catch and they don't bounce. It's also a nice way to have 9 or 10 practice balls that are all exactly the same size and weight. (important for juggling 4 or 5. Or for passing 7 balls).I wouldn't fill practice tennis ball poi all the way with rice, Maybe 1/3rd. Full would be way too heavy.

SCI FImember
21 posts

Posted:
aye kyrian - punch a small hole in your tennis balls - tye a knot at the end of your shoe strings - force the knot through the hole - get a needle and thread and stitch the hole up - you dont have to stitch all the way through the rubber - you can just stitch through the fibers of the the tennis ball - have fun------------------It's a burning FaYa

It's a burning FaYa

alphalightGOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
find very a very nice technic to made embarrassment poi it's called temari comes from japan for very individual balls check it out on the internet

peace and light