Forums > Technical Discussion > Staff construction concept: rope wicking

Login/Join to Participate

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I don't *think* I've seen this mentioned here before...Anyhow, one of my fire-friends, who does double-staff, has burned himself more than once by catching a staff right on the bolts that hold down the wicking, or tapping himself with those bolts while twirling. This is a bad thing. So we were brainstorming about ways to hide the bolts, or avoid them entirely.Then I remembered that I have some rope wicking. I spent the better part of today researching knots that might permit me to dispense with any attachment hardware at all. I didn't find anything, but I did make up a pair of double-staves using the rope using almost no attachment hardware. What I did is drill one small hole 4"/10 cm from each end, and started wrapping and tying the rope from there towards the tip. Used about 9' of rope at each tip (10' or 12' might have been better, but I was running short). Wrap, tie, wrap, tie, and when I reach the tip, I work my way back, wrapping and tying. I then anchored the starting point and the final pigtails with some stout wire that passed through the hole, wound the wire up and laid it flat. I'll get some pictures posted eventually.Haven't burned with these yet, but my previous experience with poi wicks made of rope wicking has been good. The one weak spot is the wire I use to bind everything off. I'm not sure how it will hold up, but I'm confident that even if it fails, the wicking will not fly off, because there are at least 20 knots on each section.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Hey adam, I posted on another thread about kevlar thread (technical). I got some good responses and RIZ mentioned that he has been making blind wicks - no bolts or metal showing. I need this not for my staffs as they are beautifull stacked wicks that I have never recieved a bolt burn from, but for my poi. Bolts on the other hand are evil for wraps.HURRAY FOR KEVLAR THREAD.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Tempest--Yeah, I've been tracking that thread on thread. I can see sewing down a flap or something, but I'm a little uncomfortable using the kevlar thread in any kind of load-bearing or high-stress situation.I've actually been making poi wicks with minimal exposed hardware for some time, and recently developed a second design (a monkey-fist knot of rope wicking) that actually uses almost no hardware except for an attachment ring and a tiny ring-clamp. I've been testing it and haven't listed it yet, but having put it through about 30 light-ups, I think it's ready.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Tonight I will be having my first burn with my new poi. grinThey are stacked kevlar but instead of just stacking, I have folded the ends round the block and then put welded lifting eye bolt through the whole thing.I have tried this before with a short staff and it burned quite a bit more fiercely. I think this is because there is a small air pocket between the main block and the exterior layer. It dosent burn quite as long as normal but that is a small price to pay for a good looking, large burning poi that is faily lightweight.Now all I need is that thread to make them ultra wrappable. grinint kevlar ace.TEMPEST

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Was a pretty fine burn, even if I do say so myself. Had a really hard time putting them out - now to make some bigger! grinTEMPEST