Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I am sure that I have seen kevlar thread avaliable, you know, the type that looks like a roll of cotton you would sew a button on with in the past but...WHERE THE HELL IS IT?I long for this small item of delight, could you help this little pyros dreams?aw go on, please. grinTEMPEST

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The smallest Kevlar I have seen is fine braided ropes available from a juggling shop.Depending on what you need the thread for, cotton emroidery floss might work as well. We use it on our fire gear all the time.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Cheers Peleembroidery cotton?Is that really strong enough to stitch fire toys together? Please elaborate a little - how strong is it? How long does it last and how exactly is it made (what core).I know I HAVE seen it around kevlar thread of really fine thickness in the past...TEMPEST

SilverEyesmember
45 posts

Posted:
The smallest kevlar I've seen is the 1/8" stuff at Renegade. I wonder how well a regular thread soaked in fire retardant would work -- anybody tried this?

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
Hi Tempest,Kevlar thread is definitely out there - it does exist, it might just take a bit of tracking down. The best place to look would be insulation wholesalers ...people who use kevlar for fireproofing things like boats and shipping containers. They cut sheets of kevlar (the same weave as wicking) and then stitch it to a pattern with kevlar thread.We buy our kevlar wicking from a local insulation dealer, and they stitch it with kevlar thread - its the same thickness as cotton thread (much finer than rope or wool). It has the same durability as kevlar, and won't burn away in time like cotton thread will. It would come on big spools, and I'm not sure how a home sewing machine would deal with sewing kevlar, but it would be fine for handsewing.So ...get out your local phonebook, find the insulation wholesalers and manufacturers section, and look for a company that talks about "heat resistant materials". Give them a quick call and ask if they have kevlar. If they do, they will probably either have kevlar thread, or know where to get it.hope this helps ...let us know how you go.maeon

Where in the world is the island I'm on?

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
TEMPEST,,, they do make the thread you are looking for it is real expensive and the smallest size spool i have found is 200 yards,, i tired using some other threads and fireproofing them but they didnt hold up and i know the last thing i want is a flaming wick flying into a group of people watching.. ------------------I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
WOW grinThanks for the replies you georgeous firey people. I knew it was avaliable.Maximus mailed me and suggested that I pull wicking threads out to use. This is a great idea and I am not sure why I didn't think of it before.RIZ, could yo please share where you purchased it - 30 bucks for thread dosen't sound that bad as it would last me ages.Thanks again,Liam Tempest

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Thanks Maeon too,You surley are the princess of Kevlar. grinTEMPEST