Pheelgoodmember
30 posts

Posted:
Gnueergh. Aarrgaarah. Mnyah hmmma.Now we can't just go outside and spin wenever we like. Now it's going to be difficult. If we legitimately want to set fire to ourselves we have to go far, far away, hide, or tackle the inevitable mountain of beaurocracy.Last night a bunch of us got busted by the guy who writes the rule book round here. It's a university campus, and he is the antipathy of all free spirits here.( i used the word "antipathy"!! grin). In my first year here he banned skateboarding and skating, on the grounds that it's a health risk.Personally i'm going to try the red-tape route. Contact the student union. See if we can't set up a fire (or juggling) society. I checked out all the insurance threads, and that seems pretty cheap to sort out - but we still got to find a place to play that isn't miles away (i.e. London). Has anyone tried this and got anywhere? do you need a 'professional' present at all times or anything? This campus is strange because it's part of the Queen's propperty, so no poilce are allowed on without permission. So this Guy has all the power he needs to say no to anything. How can i show him that what we do isn't illegal or completely insane?We would appreciate ANYTHING you have to say about this that might help us iron out this situation :-)Cheers to all, PhilPS: i used the word "antipathy"!! grin

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
They're not all that keen on us playing with fire whenever we feel like it here at Warwick, either. It might be possible to get it cleared with university security - that's what we have to do. Kind of removes some of the sponteneity from it if you have to plan everything a few days in advance, and its very annoying if it rains or is too windy when everythings been organised.Probably your best bet is to have a word with the security guy, show him that you've got saftey precautions (damp towel, bowl of water in case of burns, etc.) and suggest that some campus security types hang around to make sure people aren't being stupid with fire, and onlookers are keeping their distance. Failing that, tie him up and lock him in a basement somewhere...... wink

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
It is illegal AND completely insane.I got busted a few weeks ago ON MY OWN PROPERTY! There's nothing I can do now short of going to the Ohio EPA and asking for a permit for a cerimonial fire. I think if they find me spinning again in this city they will hit me up with a 3rd degree misterminer and prolly take my stuff. One of the bastards even had the nerve to tell me my fuel wasn't in an approved container... (Paintcan) Guess he wants me to spill the fuel over my wicks and put a chimmey on my poi! That's one way I found of bending the laws on open flames. Sorry I wasn't much help but thanks for the rant smile------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Pheelgoodmember
30 posts

Posted:
I spoke to a Union representative and he said that we can use the patio around the back of the pub! so that means we're sanctioned (kinda)! Also, there's a possibility of starting a fire society, so we can get insured by the university and the practice of cerimonial fire may continue for years to come grin.Need lots of signiatures, though. And jephyre's right it will take a lot of the spontinaeity out of it. Lots of drunk ppl outside the union. Better than hiding though?And something tells me that Mr. health and safety is still going to have his say in he matter. Investigation continues...PhilActually i have a basement... tongue

Shakezmember
5 posts

Posted:
I have heard it said that rules are meant to be broken, but there's no point in askin' for it!! On those principles - Its 12:35am in half hour or so me and the monkeys are for a burn on the top of the multistory carpark - Sod em!!I obviously ;o) cannot condone breaking the law!!Go and swing your chains brother, swing and be proud!! ------------------

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You can come swing here Knagi!First of all, there are so many cool non-fire options that it really isn't worth a legal battle. Use the system against them. Check out which fire codes they claim you are in violation of, and try to change them if you are. I have found that the police don't actually know the fire codes, and are simply stopping people as a precautionary "We don't understand it so we fear it" type mentality. I respect their wanting to keep my neighborhood safe.It is our job to educate them. Play by the rules and put your safety stuff in order on paper, insurance stuff and all. Head to the local fire department and talk with the chief about it, preferrably before you even start lighting up. Take with you photo's of what you do and maybe even photo's of the property you wish to spin on to show that there is no danger there either. Really know your stuff and present it in a mature, calm fashion. They are far more prone to work with you then. It's what I did with my fire department and I am now allowed to spin outside whenever I want, where ever I want (public grounds, my property, if a friend wants me to.....). Knowledge, time, patience and a good set of LED poi in the interim *should* do it! Good for you PheelGood for taking such initiative! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Thanks pele. I just might take you up on that sometime grin Wish you would have posted that bit of info a year ago...

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sorry! No one asked a year ago! tongue

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

stickyfishmember
39 posts

Posted:
Pheelgood, you said you need lots of signatures. I am a member of the students union (at Guildhall) would I be able to add my signature even though I don't go to the same university. If not prehapse it should be suggested to the union because in one university it is unlikely that there will be enough spinners to make a society.Anyway, if I can help I'd be more than happy to. If I can't help then I'm sorry.Love & Peace from LondonRob

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
This thread reminds me of a funny story...In my first year at Sheffield Uni I lived in a hall of residence. Me and a few mates came back from a club at 5am and decided to go outside and play with fire. As soon as I blew my first flame we got clamed be the 'guard' who took all my gear. I got fined the maximum £50 and was told to go to a fire safety lecture as punishment. I couldn't be bothered going so they fined me another £50. I sent letter after letter moaning until they said I can go to another lecture instead. Me and a friend went to the lecture hall, smoked a few joints round the side of the building, signed the attendance sheet and immidiately left. And smoked more joints.Ah... halls of residence - they were fun times.Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Fire safety lectures??! aw man that's *harsh*! you should have stumbled into the lecture -red eyed and all- and goofy giggled through the whole lecture. There woudn't be such a problem with fire safety if LED twirlin' equipment were half as bright as flamage!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

lluhmasmember
63 posts

Posted:
Ive had lots of fun with the police here in Australia, not to mention the University security guards.Ok. As you prob know, here in Aus we have lots and lots and lots of Bushfires, and hence we have lots of bushfire brigades(volunteers).I joined one, got my advanced firefighter(te he he) qaulification, and learnt a hell of a lot.Then I went and forked out the $120 for a pyrotechnicians liscence, which allows me to buy/use fireworks in public places.I bourght a metal bucket for water, a dry chemical extuinguisher, and always have two big damp towels at my shows. I have a metal pweter vase (with cool celtic designs) for a fuel dipping bucket.Who paid for all this? I perform at weddings, memorial services, shows, openings, birthdays, etc etc. The gear buys itself.It looks so much better and makes you feel pretty damn good when a security gaurd/cop comes up to you and says "You cant do this" and you can look them in the eye and say "well, actually, this piece of paper says your wrong"...Before I perform anywhere or even play in a park somewhere, I try to check it out with the locl fire dep. first and get a piece of paper signed by the cheif to say I can do it....I run workshops for beginners at my uni every thursday night and in around 9 weeks we've had 9 hassles with security, cops, fireies, general uni 'bigwigs' etc. but the knowledge we have of safety helps us a lot.It also looks damn good if you can show them your precautions - a rope circle for twirlers only to be in, a lighting up area, a fueling area, storing the fuel away from everything, a fire extuinguisher near lighting up area, a homemade no smoking sign, lots of wet towels and a bucket of water.It kind of shocks them when they see a bunch of 'dreadlocked scary hippie commie feral scum' with so much safety equipment. A lot actually.Twirl on.lluhmas------------------Fire is Love

BAHOOGA! It's the penguin-people!Gertrude, get me my lollypop and we'll lick 'em to death..and?

galmember
6 posts

Posted:
Tom, Drakien and I are all execs of the Warwick uni Juggling Society and have just managed to get the uni to give us permission to do fire. Though it took Tom about a week of running between various people to get signitures.. anyway we can now book the piazza (inbetween our union and another social building) whenever we want (so long as we give them prior warning!). We had it all the permissions for Friday but then it rained all day, so we were stopped by someone other than security for once! grinYeah it does take the spontanity out of it, but its better than not being allowed to do it at all..Vas xx

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
me and bassjunkie (its a fish thing apparently) twirl pretty much where we want... a few weird looks, but no real prob's so far!......I think Leicester police have better things to do; Dunkin' Donuts, Mackie Dee's, etc., etc... smile

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Ive literally JUST finished at Roehampton, SW London and got around the fire issue by getting a set of Beaming Poi.I know the security guards very well there and knew for a fact they would not let me burn, so i just had fun with my Beamers by the lake. The Guards used to enjoy watching and many people on their way to the bars did too! Its just a shame not many others were so intrigued they wanted to join in also.Gruff(the Lone poi'er of Roehampton)

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I wish I'd started spinning at uni. Wouldn't have had problems like this. Where I went (Brunel in Uxbridge) the security was asleep most of the time. And there's nothing to set fire to in Uxbridge. It's concrete, all of it! On a grey rainy day you couldn't tell where the sky ended and the concrete buildings began! So no fear of setting anything alight in Uxbridge, which is a shame really, it would have been a service wink

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Keep spinning, Gruff. Word will get round I'm sure, and especially if you are in the same place on a regular basis.Another way to get more spinners (or even brand new begginners) is to have a big sign out with your email (less problems with emails) asking if people want to learn or jam with you, to send you their contact details.I've had my business card blown up to A4 and always have it somewhere conspicuous when I'm practicing, had a few jobs from it and lots of interested people...Just a thought.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
anyone who wants to come and spin on my beach and not be hassled can look me up at anytime...

anyone got a light?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
ahhhhh...*smug grin*The joys of living in the countryside. Acres of open land, miles of beaches....not an annoying security guard in sight. Bliss grin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Cheers for your kind words of support Charles, but now i have another wee problem.Ive just moved to Gloucester where the poi/staff scene is ZILCHO!Ive gone form the lone Poi'er of Roehampton the lone Poi'er of Gloucester! WOOHOO!!(not that its done anything to stop me from twirling though!)Gruff

Pheelgoodmember
30 posts

Posted:
Dom - anytime you feel like popping over to Brunel at Runnymede, then feel free! We've now got a spot outside the unionwhere we can go anytime - and we always get a crowd! (and Runnymede's soooo much prettier than Uxbridge), although it's a bit muddy at this time o' year. Nothing quite like runnning into the middle of a field, blowing a big flame ball and falling on your arse in surprise ( i didnt think it would be that big!)Thanks to Ilhumas for the info, i moght take you up on a couple of those ideas, particularly the rope circle.Cheers, Pheel

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Gruffster...You seem to be pretty certain that there are no spinners in each area you go to, like i said before, just coz you haven't seen them spinning, doesn't mean they aren't there.And if you do it regularly in the same place you'll get a few converts at the very least...Go forth and prosper!!!! grin------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?