FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
How similar to swinging poi is swinging nunchucks? I've never seen or been near any before. (asides from watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) Are the moves similar or are we talking about a completely different kettle o' fish.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I thought this was going to be a question along the lines of "If 2 people go head to head, one with poi, and 1 with nunchucks who would win?". Which is a good question. Poi has the reach, but nunchucks have more manouverability. Hmmmm...Anyway, back to your question, did you try searching? Because I'm 99.99% sure that I've seen this on here before, with a link to videos even.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
The two are almost identical with most of the moves. The recoils are the same, but you (obviously) can't wrap the short nunchuk chain around your arm or anything. You can basicly do 95% of poi moves with nunchucks, and you can do 95% of nunchuck moves with poi. I have two sets of double nunchucka, and the latest pair accept glowsticks (I am thinking of sending in a video of nunchucks for the competitions...). I practice almost as much with nunchucks as with poi. They do feel different, but you can get used to it quite easily.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
excellent!How much would you expect to pay for a pair of nunchucks?I cant wait. It should put the finishing touch to my Michaelangelo impression.Dom thats a good topic as well. I've been thinking about sorta coordinating a fight either between poi and nunchucks or poi and staff. I thought it would be cool to stage a fight between poi and staff. you could sort of do wraps around the other persons staff and disarm them and stuff. It should look good wit fire

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I love poi dearly but c'mon people.An advanced Nunchuku user would take apart a poi nnja dude in no time at all. grinTwo solid chunks of whatever would do some serious damage after the first tangle! I can't even use chucks well at all but if I had to fight I would definatley choose em.Pain of staff, flexibility and recoil of poi. ouch! TEMPEST

FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
Tempest I didn't mean a deathmatch or anything. Just a mock fight that would look cool without any fatalities

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Not long ago I was seriously considering buying some practise nunchuku and learning some katas to build up my upper body and generally get myself fitter.The problem was I couldn't find anywhere that would sell them to me at a reasonably price.Does anyone know anywhere that I could get them from, preferably online since I don't really have much time to go nunchuku shopping------------------We've got a blind date with destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Fire boy these are close to nunchuckshttps://cgi.aol.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1710609961,, i know with these i use all the same moves and hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmill take on a pair of nunchucks with these.. heres my site with them in use the pic is in the middle of the page and was taken about 1 /12 min after i lit up https://www.zyworld.com/darkrizen/fire.htm------------------I
have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
PMSL @ Bovrilmonkey's signature.I think a deathmatch would be good. There's one or two poiers I'd like to see go against an armed opponent. BUt I'm staying quiet on who....

Meh

neonninjamember
5 posts

Posted:
i would have to say that pro-chucks would beat both of them.regualar nun chucks just suck really bad. if you look in the pictures you will see pro chuck pictures in blacklight and with sparkles on them. regular nun chucku do not have any manuverability at all and you more likely to hit yorself then other peeps. look up the pro chucks and tell me what ya think.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
dont forget weapons poi were made of stones and were used 4 at a time.......its not really appropriate to compare nunchucks and fire poi styles, remember chucks were developed specifically to bean people, fire poi moves are for fun and while they may be translatable to moves we can hit people with, the moves (on for instance this site) lack the necessary footwork to allow for adequate recovery from richochette or to be able to simply get out of the way of an attack. they are obviously both dangerous, it's in the application. but i reckon being able to even get out of the way of a friend attacking slowly with a staff and keeping two one handed butterflies going, let alone counterattacking is no mean feat......

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Since several people have asked and no one else wants to say I suppose I will.For reasonably priced nunchucks check BudK's online catolog, Smokey Mountain Knife Work's online catolog, and (best bet, I think) World wide martial arts supply www.wwmas.comA decent set should run between eight and twenty dollars (US)------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I have NEVER bought a pair of nunchucks...I am blessed (some say cursed tongue ) by an infatuation with making things. I spend half my spending cash at the hardware store...I think that says it all. grin Using just one nunchuck can lead to a lot of single staff type moves, I just realized this a few days ago. All those single staff hand changes work with a nunchuck. Of all the 100's of times my chucks have hit flesh, all but once it was my own...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Hmmm....... Almost as if those techniques were designed for nunchucks rolleyes wink

Jesus helps me trick people.

outlawstevobtkmember
3 posts

Posted:
hey people, steve here, how many nunchucku users are out there? i am one, but i use it in the martial arts way, i don't really spin it around like poi, nunchucku the way i use it is more flipping the nunchucku around your hand and around ur back and over ur head and stuff, it's really totally different from poi think personally, i'm gonna try to get a vid put up so you people know what i mean, oh yea and i guess i should introduce myself, i'm steve, been doin poi since last nov. and i think poi is kewl, and so are the people that do it, ttyl, l8er,steve

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
Written by: DJ Dantana

You can basicly do 95% of poi moves with nunchucks, and you can do 95% of nunchuck moves with poi.

i couldn't disagree more every move you can do with poi you can do with double nunchucks but there are a vast amount of nunchuck moves that simply arn't posable with poi as in every move that results in you swaping which handle your holding (70% of the nunchuck moves) nunchucks more versitle because you can change the driection of spin in an instant also you can throw and catch nunchucks something imposible/close to imposable with poi along you can wrap nunchucks around you maby not as many times as with poi but you can do it but to say you can to 95% of nunchuck moves with poi suggests to me you've started with poi then picked up nunchucks and done poi moves with them theres loads more nunchuck moves out there smile

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
eek
poi are much more dangerous than nunchaku, easier to conceal and thus surprise, more versatile for grappling, climbing, striking, parrying, disarming... they are simply harder to master. flexible weapons are considered the most deadly, nunchaku being less flexible, less deadly. that's why speedchucks are scarier, more flexible.
put a weight at the handle end and you can do all the chuck hand wraps and then some

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
agreed, besides..chain whips anyone? you can't really look at poi as a weapon, but you can look at it's implementation as a weapon. even kusari gama

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: robnunchucks

also you can throw and catch nunchucks something imposible/close to imposable with poi

this comment suggests to me you've started with nunchucks then picked up poi and used nunchuck type moves with them.

check out my man matt

they are different props - similar in lots of ways but quite different in others.

there are lots of moves that translate but for me the interesting part is finding the unique moves that a particular prop allows.

try airwrapping a pair of nunchucks or try doing a fast nunchuck style throw sequence with poi.

anyone tried nunchuck isolations...?

juggle

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yeah, you can definately throw and catch poi.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
both props are completly different why anyones even trying to compare them is a mystery to me there are some tricks that cross opver but whats the point?

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
they are totally different in my perspective. I've used both. biggest difference, nuchuks have 2 handels and a 4 inch long chain. you can not do poi open handed. and you can do wraps with nunchuks... except it goes all the way around the arm or leg and carries the same momentum. I've had mock battles, poi vs chucks..... a good poi swinger has a good chance against the nunchucks because of the wrap and pull to disarm technique. but nunchucks are much faster.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
How can u say what something is unless you really know what your talking about.

Poi are a weapon. Maybee even more lethal than chucks (and yes i love my chucks dearly!) There are more poi forms and types than i can describe and in most cases the poi is not really the weapon but is connected to the weapon, it can be use in a number of ways from blocking to disarming, to swinging the weapon and also distracting your opponent so the weapon can do its job. So, u cant exactly stab your opponent with the thing but its still part of it, as its connected like your leg to your body.

I have personally witness the awsome flow and movement and its one tricky sucker. There have been numerous searches on the web and im afraid that there is currently no fottage that i have seen or found and any links i did find were broken.

But for the record here is a picture of the weapon that the poi usually connect to via a medium length string...the weapon is know as a Mere or a Patu.

Non-Https Image Link

If thats not working u can look Here
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1090149885)