Forums > Technical Discussion > how long must i wait to dunk...

Login/Join to Participate

bubblezmember
24 posts

Posted:
using coleman camping fuel.if i spin the wicks out, how long must i wait before re-dipping them in the fuel bucket? time limit? or what signs do i look for?i tried a lil search.. but couldnt find anything..

ITS NOT WHAT U KNOW, ITS WHAT U CAN PROVE......

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
You can refuel as soon as they're out and you've checked that there's no embers and it's not smoking. Bout 10-15 seconds.------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
thats one reason i prefer parafin, you can put your wicks out in it, stoping smouldering making the wicks last longer.

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Me too.Make sure they're out.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Ajay--I've heard people talk about putting their wicks out in lamp oil (parrafin), but has anyone actually done that with poi? The fact that you can't thrust it in, but just need to let it drop in, is a little worrisome. I can imagine doing it with a staff or the like, though from a fire-safety standpoint, it still seems like a bad idea.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've done it. Lamp oil is very tame, it's actually hard to light and won't light unless it's on a wick (needs to be airate.) I've never seen anything burn that wasn't supposed to with lamp oil. And that's including people much more reckless than me.Whitegas? Now that's a different story.That's the basis of my "Lamp oil:Good ; Whitegas:Bad" analogy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
yeah i definatly go with that.after a while the pot of oil can get hot and might light but even then it normaly blows out or you can blow it out, it really is very tame stuff.

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Bubblez, If you're going to keep using white gas definatly make dead shure your wicks aren't still somouldering before dunking them again. Get a big towel that is good and thick and wet and wrap your wicks up in it for a couple of minutes after your burn. Not only will this save you from learning the evils of white gas first hand (I think almost all the fire bugs on this board have white gas horror stories), but it will also keep your wicks from smouldering and prolong their life, and possibly your's as well. ------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Adam - NYC is exactly right,****** DISCLAIMER - I do not recommend people do this at all ******When i have a gig and a roped off or well cleared areafor my fuel, I frequently dunk my staff, smoking or still lit, directly into the tin, either to put it out or to keep it burning. Of course I need to do a burnoff or something similar before doing proper moves (the burnoff is always well received)...This because I use lampoil, kerosene or Pegasol 3440 Special. No other fuels I've come across are suitable for this, and it will only not light if the fuel is cold. Each successive dunking make the fuel warmer and this lowers it's flashpoint, so you need to top the tin up with cold fuel frequently.This is an example of how safe COLD kero etc can be, but also illustrates that when warm or hot, unlit kero can still have a lower flashpoint than people think...White gas or any fuel you do not know the MSDS for, should never be treated this way, including kero you suspect may have had additives in it. Treat all fuels as potentially explosive, and only trust the sealed ones you have bought yourself...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 07 March 2002).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?