StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I'm basically a backyard spinner, but we (me and a few friends) have been asked to help promote a community event. The show will be held inside during the day, and fire probably won't be an option. Anyway, all this has got me thinking about enhancing daytime performances. These are my ideas so far:Fire props: I haven't used fire during the day because I have always imagined it would look a bit wimpy, but I could be wrong. So, I was wondering if some fuels are better than others for daytime use. Like, would kero be better than white gas (shellite)? Would coloured flames be an option?Non fire props: I expect you would need a really dark room and an UV light for luminous props to work well. So, I suppose that leaves fluorescent (day-glow) props. I'm told that the best day-glow colours are pink and orange. I think other options could be silver, foil or something reflective. LED props: I have an electroglow staff and I'm seriously considering getting some electroglow poi, but I don't think these props are bright enough to entertain a large crowd in the daylight. Ditto for glowsticks.So, does anyone have some good ideas to enhance a daytime performance? PS: I did a search, but couldn't find anything useful, so I apologize if the topic has being discussed recently. Thanks smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Yea, just like you said... the ElectroGlo staff isn't really bright enough for the day.Most likely for a daytime performance, you'd use the Poi with Comets/Streamers. Also, if you have Beaming Poi that might loko pretty cool. You might want to experiment with the Fire Poi and different fuels (I haven't recieved my Fire Poi yet, so I can't help you on this subject) but you could probably have those Survivor looking tortches set out along the stage and lit (not sure how that'd show up though just thought of the idea now).I'm not sure what you mean by Fluorescent props, so I dunno about that. If you mean like fluorescent lights (the annoying lights required by law in the kitchens that flicker shocked ) But if it gets that glowey effect, go for it winkHope that worked somewhatKinudinPSI've never done any performances so I dunno anything about it other than almost all the time they come out well and spiffy looking wink[This message has been edited by Kinudin (edited 25 February 2002).]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Stone,All of the Ren Faires I perform at are daytime events actually. I thought fire would be wimpy at first as well, and in truth it doesn't have the same power it does as at night but still, it is strong and people do enjoy it. Kero is a great fuel to use for daytime for two reasons. It has a really robust orange color that shows well in daylight and it is smokey. The smoke curls off of poi in slight patterns as well, adding to the visual effect. I wasn't even aware of this until someone told me.Another things you can concider is if there is a safe spot that is in the shade, you might want to spin there.In truth I have never tried LED's to perform in the day, but agree I can't imagine they would make a real impression.Orange, Yellow and Pink are good day glo colours, but don't rule out the blue and greens as well. Sometimes the sunlight is bright enough that it almost eats up the orange, in my opinion, where the blue then stands out. That is really something you just need to find what you like for yourself. I have 10 or so sets of day glo comets/buzz poi of varying colours and I enjoy using them all.You mentioned metallic, if you want something extremely flashy, you might try spinning flags, which aren't really much harder than poi, made from a metallic lame(accent over the "e" doesn't work here) fabric. It would really shimmer and show brightly in daylight, especially in the sun.Hope this helps and best of luck to you.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
Stone......just a little side note - you might want to look up the dangers of using Shellite - on Incendium's Fuels pages (link from their website www.incendium.org) if no where else... just read through a few of the stories that have happened using this ultra-flammable fuel beofre you use it too much... with so many other alternatives around I just suggest you take the greatest care using it (if at all)...All the best with your day show though... comet poi & staff equivalents will never have the *same* impact as fire - but they do look beautiful...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. Kinudin, by fluorescent I meant day-glow, like in day-glow paint. Day-glow paint has pigments that are visible (fluoresce)in sunlight and glow under UV. Pele, thanks for the info on the colours. Blue is my favourite colour for night use, but, before this post, I wouldn't have considered it for a day show. I think I need to try out a few more colours. I know I was a bit slack, and should have tested a few fuels in daylight before I posted. But, you have pointed me in the right direction. Kero seems like a good option. I don't have any flags, but that metallic type fabric sounds interesting. I might even learn to sew. Great book Bec, and good to see you are on the ball. Don't worry, I don't use or recommend Shellite. I should have used another fuel for comparison. I forgot to mention Beaming poi in my original post, apologies Malcolm. Beaming poi probably fulfill many of the requirements for a good daytime performance, except I need to practice more, because Beaming poi are err, not very forgiving. I was thinking of something alone the lines of a wild (innovative) set of Fluffy poi (like those in the HOP shop). I got some for my nephew and they are fun. Poi with tails, also look good, but the tails limit the number of tricks you can do. Whirilie's might also be worth a shot. I suppose, in summary: Kero is a good fuel for use in daylight, where fire is permitted. And, you probably need a number of props to put on a good daytime performance, because conditions change during the day. smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Flags look good in the daytime too

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Just a few more thoughts:Flags: Dom, I will just have to give these a go. That metallic material Pele suggested sounds good. Indian clubs: Paint up my white plastic clubs with a day-glow colour, and impress everyone with my limited range of travelling snakes. Snakes are probably not a great option for fire anyhow. Beer can poi: Impress the locals by spinning cans of their favourite beer wink.Coke bottle poi: Hit some plastic coke bottles with spray chrome, and see how that works.Costumes: Not using fire, opens the opportunities for face paint, wigs, glitter and fabrics that would not be suitable when using fire.Well, IMO you can't beat fire, but there is a range of interesting non-fire options. Apologies Bec if my reply seemed a bit flippant. Thank everyone for your help and good wishes smile

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Flags are cool. Lame (lah-may) is really neat stuff. I am also in the process of making a huge set of day-glow flags out of a similar sheer fabric with this really wicked design on it. shocked The first ones I made used of a nylon fabric that is too bulky, and it is very tiresome to spin them. Getting thin material and more weight is the key.Something you might want to try is a 2 ultra-power orange glowsticks on each string. Unless you are in direct sunlight, those things will show up anywhere. You also said you would be inside, right? Have them turn off the lights. White gas/Naptha/Coleman Fuel works fine inside. Not a whole lot of stink or fume or smoke. But be careful, because it vaporizes easily, and it can flash if you leave it in a warm enough room for too long without ventilation. $.02------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Are you going to spin the beer/soda and then offer it to an audience member to open? *g*I don't know how comfortable you are with spinning but you can also try oddities...have an audience member blindfold you and spin like that, spin other oddities (stuffed animals, and make jokes about it, Fuzzy dice, really push your imagination). Try to come up with a funky costume and then spin stuff that fits into that "theme". Example (and a bad yet funny one)..Dress up as a 70's Mac Daddy, big hair and stuff. Spin the silver mirror looking disco balls to Disco music. That stuff always goes over well with audiences and can be fun!Just remember to have a good time and practice in the costume with what you will be spinning with ahead of time! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks glowshow. Now, I am definitely going to have to make some flags.I was wondering about those ultra-power orange glowsticks. I haven't seen them around in my area, but then I haven't looked. Are they expensive? I can get normal glowsticks for $A 1.70 (in packs of 25). And not that it's a real problem for performances, but don't they like only last for 5 min. Great ideas Pele. I'm impressed by the range of non-fire options that are coming out here. The beer is for me, after the performance of course. wink [This message has been edited by Stone (edited 27 February 2002).]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
at camping festivals, all of our fire gear get 103cm ribbons - the shiny ones look better than you'd think - plus using the same equipment for day twirling means no problems adjusting to different weights, lengths etc. Once at Confest we twirled massive but totally dried driftwood until it hurt (1 minute!) My favourite day twirling staff augmentation is a pair of rubber chickens. It looks twisted when you perform any throws! other than that you can eat tacos."mmmm tacos. yum"

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Yep, ribbons are great. I've got a couple of sets of these. I've attached 4 long satin ribbons (over 1.5m) to each poi head. I've got ones in red and oranges and another using blues and purples. I reckon they're beautiful. they're also good because your audience can have a go with them afterwards too.ade

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Puts ribbons on shopping list. Bendy TO are going to the Easter Confest?

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
coloured flames arent really such a good idea during the day, the methanol/methylated spirits i use for dissolving the metallic salts dosent really burn all that brightly, and during the day it dosent look all that hot, but one thing i noticed is the nice heat trails you can see coming off the poi when you look at you shadow winkgood luck

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Hoochy Mamma am i goin to confest?!Does the pope poop in the woods?! smileindeed i amOur convoy leaves on the thursday - 9 days yay!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always