Chotysmember
91 posts

Posted:
Ok, i searched the old articles and there has been a fair amount of talk about using photons and photon II's as poi but no one actually stated much about them. If anyone has bought photons and used them before how good are they, do you need to have weights on the chains as well or do you attach them to your fire poi? If you don't know what i'm on about visit www.photonlight.com If anyone can help with this that would be great.:Chotys:

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
my friend has photon II's and theyre cool enough to watch, very idfferent effect from glowsticks, but incredibly hard to twirl on account of the weight (or lack thereof)and seeing as how i weight glowsticks when i spin em, the photons were really really lightso,yeah i would weight em, but still, the beams are so small, theyre kinda hard to get the fulle ffect unless theyre in fog, so i dunno, theyre ok, but ill take glowsticks over em anyday

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Belrockmember
33 posts

Posted:
I have 3 photons. exactly like the ones you see there on that site.They are great toys and make for a great show. They are EXTREMELY bright. Only bad thing is, with poi, if you hit them together...kiss them goodbye. And that's out 25 bucks. But anyway, they look bad ass either way.

Fire Demon of the Dwarven world...I am Belrock

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
put you're photon's inside emptied out glowsticks. They're brighter than regular glowsticks. If you're interested i can tell you how to make one. Check www.etownravepage.com the person spinning on the front page is me with my photon poi.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====[This message has been edited by phunky (edited 18 February 2002).][This message has been edited by phunky (edited 18 February 2002).]

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
i put metal washers at the end of my strings to account for the weight of the photon lights...it helped...but it hurt frown

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
For weight clip your photon's onto UV Poi, then you get the UV and Photon effect!The best photon setup I've spun belonged to some guy in New York I saw in a club. They consisted of a metal chain with about 4/5 photons on each chain. Still a bit light, but a great effect to watch!

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
I am a photon dancer... i bough my photons on photonlight.com ummmwell you dont need to put weight or nothing... at the beggining you will feel a bit weird cause they weight less than glowsticks... but after using them a while you not gonna notice it... tonguethey look pretty cool... You saw my pics of myseft and my friend using PhotonIIs?if you havent check them out and you will see how they look =)IMHO they look pretty cool also you can use them on yer hand and dance with it and you can turn it off and on while you dancing which makes coolest the stuff you can do many stuff with it that you cant with glowsticks... i love my photons... just that if you buy photon II TAKE CARE OF THEM!well the bult is pretty unbrokable really!!! but the switch... man take care of the Switch ok??? that thing can broke... mine did... now im looking how to fix it... now im using Tape when i wanna use it LOL on one of my photons oh well...if anyone can help me how to make a new switch or where i can get it fixed tell me pls... cause i dont know... :/

Dance like if noone were watching you

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
not sure about photon poi as i'm pretty inexperienced - but in the effort to be helpful maybe this should be in technical discussion? .......point?

skandarrghmember
12 posts

Posted:
man photon thingys look well good bt i mean, kinda easy to break?!? hell ok maybe i should shut up cos i seem to be the only person who could manage to break their beaming poi on their kneecap bt ANYWAY dunno... are they that good?

i wanna be a rockstar :o)

serendipitymember
6 posts

Posted:
I use the "Rav'n Party Light" available just about anywhere they sell the photon lights (www.photonlight.com, etc.) for about $25 each. It's a photon light that changes color (red, green, blue), available in strobe (with an "off" state between each color change) or ribbon (changing color without blinking off). I got the strobe ones but, even though they do strobe really fast, I would recommend the ribbon ones to anyone who spins really fast so that the stream of light looks more continuous.They are very light weight. I have always put nylon streamers on the ends of my chains along with glow sticks and I do that with the photon lights too. It adds weight and also seems to help keep them flowing in a controllable motion.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Something awesome you can do with photon lights involves swedish exchange students.Something even cooler to do is to fit your photon light in clear acrylic, like tubes - the internal reflection makes that tubing light up. Semi-transparent paper on the inside makes it even more apparent. The difference is more than you'd expect! It just allows you to get the most light out of your photons!"I can smell my nose"-wise man

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
Hint: go to some place like hong kong's "ladies bazaar" at mongkok look around and find someone who sells photons. Bargain till you can get them for about 10 HKD. Buy 100 of them.Next step: get two chains, put two-three on each end. Start spinnin

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Phunky, I was actually going to write you an email asking exactly how you did that. I remember you were saying something once about certain places to cut, and I am sure that I could figure it out on my own, but you have obviously put more time into working out the bugs. So shoot, if you would like to share with everyone, or hit the little linky thing to email me, because I have a genuine interestFor me, I use the RAV'N's. Get some heavy duty bubble wrap that has the small (1/4 inch?) bubbles. A strip about 5 inches long and wide enough to wrap about 1 1/2 to 2 times around the light. Cut out a square at the bottom corner that is half to 3/4 of the width of the light itself. The first bit of rolling that you do will then fill in the space in the center when you roll the rest around the light. Tape it up, and let fly! Also, tape the battery door closed, and with the same length of tape, fasten it to the bubble wrap. That will help keep it from sliding out. It protects the photon, it spreads the light, and keeps you from getting pissed off when they hit. They are brighter than a 30 minute old glowstick, and they can be turned on and off. Batteries are available online for down to about $.50 apiece. Hope that helps. ------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
The batteries are .50 cents online!??!i've been buying mine in stores for 2.50 each. gawd damn.First off you need to grab yourself an exacto knife. Cut a rectangular sized piece of plastic out the side (vertically) of the glowstick. The dimensions should be, width 1 cm and the height should be about 3 cm. Empty out all the gooey crap inside it. On the opposite side cut a piece out 1 cm in width and about 2 cm to 2.5 cm in height. Insert your photon on the side which has the bigger height. Angle in the light in first and it should pop in nicely.If you wanted to go a little farther, instead of having to take out your photon everytime you have to turn it on/off, cut out a small piece of plastic, double the size of a switch on a photon. Then all you need is a pointy object to turn it on/off while it's still inside the glowstick. If you have ravn lights you don't really need to. All you need to do is sqeeze the glowstick. Also, if you're American and don't understand the metric system, err, find a site that converts that into imperial smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
WELL...i have been using photons for various things for about a year now, i just opened an acct with them and purchased 24 rav'n ribbons and 24 photon II's. if you would like any of them i have red blue green and white in the phjoton 2's and have the rav'n lights. i think they are great for swinging, if you have two or more on the end. they are very durable, and i have only managed to break one out of 12 that i have. anyhow email me if you would like to find out about prices..BTW im selling them for much cheaper than you can buy them for at the store or online!!! i am not trying to advertise just help out the fellow spinners.much lovep.l.u.r.r.xtremravr

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Zane has made a set of baton poi out of two pieces of fairly stiff clear hose with photon lights inserted at both ends. They swing similarly to normal fire poi weightwise but are fairly rigid so throws and catches are easier. They glow quite well and look a little like nunchuka lightsabres!Other twirlers had simply taped a little bubblewrap around their photons and hooked em to tennis ball poi. Jason has a set similar to the RAV'N party lights which flash red-green-blue which look well funky.phunky: I had that idea of empty glowies for photon light carriers. I'd thought that having the other end open would allow a point of that intense light to shine out so you still get that torch effect. Also what cord do you use? I was thinking through all tangles using shoelaces tied to glowies that a wire trace from a fishing shop would help prevent that.I quite enjoy the lightness of photon poi, you can get some amazing speed on them. Like a full fountain in 1-2 secondsSpin Spin Away my friends wink

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
bump smile

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Chotysmember
91 posts

Posted:
Ok, my troupe recently did a gig at the local Wood, Wine & Roses festival and we started off with glo sticks then went on to fire, now the only problem was because i only had glo poi and not photons the audience couldn't see it properly coz glo sticks are completely useless if there is even a tiny bit of light about, so what i was wondering is do photons still stay nice and bright even when you are somewhere near lights, ie. near street lights. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks:Chotys:

tricky56member
23 posts

Posted:
I use photons all the time. They are practically the only thing that I spin with. Hint. In case them in a clear ball or attach them to a chain with a tennis ball or other object at the end and it will make the object or ball glow. Check out the pictures of me spinning. In the picture section. My name is Chris Kent. The poi set I am using is made up of two white and two turquoise photons. The turqouoise are the only way to go as far as brightness. The white look nice, but are about half as bright. Any other color doesn't even begin to compare to the turqouoise. The lights are visible under street lights, and even some during the day. Hope this helps. P.S. buy your photons from www.botachtatical.com they have the cheapest prices I have been able to find

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
AMEN! That is where I buy my shit from. Dirt cheap.X- I am going to email you about this. I didn't know that you could buy them wholesale. Have you tried hooking them all up at once??? shocked grinThanks, Phunky. I'll try it when I get some spare time this weekend. I usually stay too busy to play during the week.------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
hey glowshow, email me at xtremravr@aol.com, i have alot of these lights photon 2's and the rav'n lights, again i know that malcolm dosent sell the photons that is why i am offering them, and again it is not to make $ off of this sight it is to help distribute good fair prices to fellow spinners... smile...as far as the brightest i find the turqois and the blue to be of the brightest, although since i got all these rav'n lights i have been spinning with them on with my tennis balls ike tricky said, the light acually reflects off of the tennis balls and makes the light look like it has a really big crystal on it!!! really cool in the dark!!! well gotta run p.l.u.r.r.xtremravr

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

HOP Newsletter