• You must now select Courier Delivery if you wish to receive items before Christmas.

Skeks

Total posts: 11
Posted:I saw some road flares on the freeway the other day. Are these likely to explode or are they twirlable?------------------!You've just been Skeked!

!You've just been Skeked!

Delete Topic

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:Hey there, do a search and you'll find that it's been discussed a bit before...For one:http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000317.htmlFrankly I think they're pretty dang smelly...(Rockin' it Jay-Z style with a "P to the izzo I to the ezzen T for me up here in NYC")

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

N8

Total posts: 336
Posted:Road Flares....(imagines flagging down a plane while spinning.)Prolly not the best idea
Non-Https Image Link
and NYC's right, they smell quite horrid.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Delete

Ade
SILVER Member since Mar 2001

Are we there yet?

Total posts: 1897
Posted:Speaking of flares, did anyone see the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics? There was some beautiful flare/fireworks twirling on the ice - and the theme of the olympics being 'the fire within'.

Delete

byron76

Total posts: 11
Posted:they will dribble molten sulphur on you or your croud, get one and watch it burn, very dangerous!

Delete

shizN0T

Total posts: 184
Posted:I got an idea!!!! Lets try spinning Roman Candles!!!!P.S. point.
Non-Https Image Link

I smell something burning.

Delete

Jangla

Total posts: 155
Posted:I reckon Catherine Wheels would be superb!P.s. shizNOT - point goes to NYC for providing the helpful link, surely!?---------------------------------------"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Delete

rex

rex

Total posts: 263
Posted:Jangla: i was under the impression, everyone that responds with the word "point" before the mods close a thread, gets one. or am i just seeing symbols and letters that aren't there, as usual?point...

Delete

Knagi

Total posts: 397
Posted:It's amazing the types of things, that can be brought up on this board... I'm gonna claim a point here then I'm gonna go fly this new "secret" kite...
Non-Https Image Link
------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Delete

Sabine
GOLD Member since Sep 2001

Total posts: 29
Posted:In regard to flares, they are designed to burn hotter than fire. Just something you ought to think about if you decide to start twirling them. They shouldn't explode - they aren't built to do that. They're designed just to burn. Sabine

Delete

glowshow

Total posts: 406
Posted:Most road flares are made with magnesium, which is an elemnt that, once ignited, will not go out, regardless of whether you put it in water or bury it. It doesn't need oxygen, it is a chemical reaction. And the gas that is put out by it will put you in the hospital QUICK!
Non-Https Image Link
Granted, it is a very cool idea, and I have thought about it once or twice. It's just that I was a welder once upon a time, and was working on a magnesium piece that accidentally ignited, and then burned for 2 days. (It was a huge chunk-transfer case for a race car) I wouldn't recommend it.------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Delete

Knagi

Total posts: 397
Posted:I found out the other day that open burning (fire poi) is a 3rd degree mistermeaner. 500 dollar fine and up to 60 days in jail.. However one of the exceptions to the law is road flares.. Funny how that works.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Delete

Whiffle Squeek

Whiffle Squeek

addict

Total posts: 416
Posted:well, in regards to spinning the roman candles...i dont think theyd be that good, ive spun bundles of sparklers before and they tend to go out fairly quicky and im guessing that roman candles wouldnt be very much different...and in regards to the road flares, they do smell horrid, and they drip stuff all over the place, which means when spun, theyd fling that noxious smelling crap over everyhting in a 50 foot radius from you, and i also beleive it is quite hot which is another down side, so yeah, i wouldnt try it...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

Charly

Total posts: 68
Posted:I'm amazed that no one has mentioned how HOT pyrotechnics burn in comparison to regular old fire. We're talking thousands of degrees versus hundreds of degrees!I've seen some second and third degree hand/shoulder/scalp burns from putting pyrotechnics on the end of chains... although we do occasionally do it, we just cover up well enough so that we don't get too many burns. A bit of burning magnesium would go through an eyeball like a hot knife through butter (sorry - that's really gross, I know) so wear goggles! No joke, kids!Pyro, flares included, isn't something to mess around with. It can and will cause serious injuries.~*Charly*~www.cabiri.org

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:Great call Charles,I might not have thought of that, not that I ever use anything that hot, but if I did, I might think that the safety precautions I'd been using for "combustion" fires would suffice... not so.Gotta go, Cassandra's being REALLY annoying right now and I promised I'd take her to Chinatown. Damn demanding women...
Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete