NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've used kero, whitegas, pure lamp oil (smokeless and not) and my favorite due to price and availablity: Citronella Torch Fuel.My question is this:Does anyone use and really like any other fuel?I've searched the pros and cons but would like a testimonial from an actual fire spinner or two... I guess "dislikes" would work too... if you tried anything else and hated it it'd be helpful to put that on the "don't" list.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
winkNapalm wink

Jesus helps me trick people.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah but then you smell like victory for the rest of the evening. Everyone's like "hey who smells like victory?" and you gotta be all... "Oh yeah, that's me, I was twirling with napalm, sorry."Smells kinda nice in the morning though. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i love to use white gas.i know that this is a safety issue, but i love doing wraps and seeing the reaction on peoples faces when i catch on fire for a few seconds from the extra fuel. and it just feels sooooo good...

anyone got a light?

Wanjamember
7 posts

Posted:
don´t know the english expression, but we used "Spiritus" ,the stuff you usuually use to heaten a fondue. We expected it to burn with an almost invisible blue flame, but it is not that bad. it smells not very good.at last it may be cheaper than lamp oil, but it is not better. it is not useful in bright daylight.

swiftythefireguymember
61 posts

Posted:
i like white gas too but its bloody expensivei usually only use it at shows or barsin the back yard though strait keroit's cheap ( my roomate works at revy home center and can buy it for me at cost 5.00 for 2.5 gal.

dont ever ask me whta time it is ?where are we? or are we there yet? because the time is now!we here !and we wil never be there !

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
LMAO @ NYC

Jesus helps me trick people.

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
I have a question. Does anyone know of a fuel that burns with little to no smoke? Problem is, I'm planning this show on a stage, and we got this great idea to lay a bunch of wicking out on the stage, perhaps in some funky patterns to creat little walls of fire to dance around. (basically we're lighting the stage on fire). The ploblem: that much fire on stage fills the autitorium up with so much smoke it sets off the fire alarm. (which doesn't go over well w/ the fire dept) Is there a fuel that we could use that doesn't creat any smoke, or very little so we can have rediculus amounts of fire on stage?

^_-

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"Smokeless" lamp oil is relatively smokeless. But it does depend on the size of the space and amount of fire you've got. Also on the setup of wicks. I know that my fire chains give of TONS more smoke than my wicks (surface area and what not...)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
hmmmm.. smokeless ?... as in that smokeless citronella lamp oil we used back then and that made us all sick, NYC ? wink

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Model airplane fuel... Eww sticky stuff but it burns with a strong aqua color.. Myself I'm a pure kero man unless I'm up for some trailing or breathing. You should be able to get kero alot cheaper then 5 bucks for 2,1/2 gallons.. Have you looked around your local gas stations?As for a ring of fire on stage.. please dude just use candles.. Same effect alot less smoke.. ------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"[This message has been edited by Knagi (edited 09 February 2002).]

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Smokeless... naaaa, that stuff said "extra smokey"... I've still never seen anything like it. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
In my humble experience, there is nothing that is not smokey...hell, stuff is on fire, there is bound to be smoke. Less smokey, maybe.And Knagi...you've come a long way baby! winkYou are soooooo right about using candles on a stage. There is more than smoke to think about here. Fuel will pool on the stage from the wicks you lay down and since most stages are wooden.... I don't know of a single insurance company or fire marshall that will go for that!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
YAY, a circle of candles around you on stage... Always looks wicked !!!

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

renegademember
1 post

Posted:
i have to agree on the candle scene its a good way to keep from get you and your pals dead i personally spin with a mix of coleman acmp oil and lamp oil(parafin) and i blow with straight lamp oilrenegade

firecatmember
7 posts

Posted:
we've tried using ultra-pure smokeless/ odorless oil for indoor shows - doesn't give off much smoke while the fire is going - but still smokes a lot when they go out! you'll need to leave your wicks covered with a damp towel until they completely quit smoldering. or have fuel to re-wet them in immediately.other problem we've had is that there's always some oil that doesn't spin off the wicks - and it ends up on the stage! after a few spinners a wooden stage will be very slippery and this can be a major problem if you have a long show planned. the group I practice with uses only white gas at our outdoor practice space because it doesn't leave much slippery residue on the wood stage. though I don't mind lamp oil if it's a dirt practice area.I like the idea of using candles to add flame to an indoor performance.

nattymember
14 posts

Posted:
i used to mix lamp oil with a little spirit. has a long burn and produces very little smoke as teh fire is put out.i've made kinda firewall on a wodden stage. i lay out gutters and put the wick inside. if you seal the gutter well it works!------------------ ###surrounded by natty###

###surrounded by natty###

Randommember
43 posts

Posted:
methylated spirit (purple smelly stuff) burns with little smoke the flame from it is not anything like as hot as from paraffin, you can mix chemicals with it to get different coloured flames too.------------------"smoking makes you look cool" His Majestys personal Elvis

smoking makes you look cool His Majestys personal Elvis

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
camp fuel for eating and trails
kero for the swords
parfin for breathing

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
I've used kero and coleman, both straight, for spinning and prefer about an approximate 3/1 mix. For eating, I've tried 70% isopropyl alcohol, zippo lighter fluid and coleman and prefer lighter fluid or coleman. For tracing/trailing I've tried zippo fuel and alcohol and if it's dark prefer alcohol due to the length of time you can keep it burning. For breathing I haven't moved to 'regular' fuels as such, I use warm vegetable oil.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
So staff twirlers have no problems using kerosene. Someone I know, (not fire player) said it was a really hot burn, this might be the case but is it ok??

Cheers, Shante

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
From what I understand, Kero is a rather slow burn. It's hard to transfer flame and hard difficult to ignite. White gas would be hot burn.

It's fine to use, just a little stinky and smokey.

that fire chick 2member
2 posts

Posted:
Hey Hey.

Here's something interesting. White gas burns really bright, but evaporates quickly. Lamp oil burns very softly and burns longer. If you mix exactly half and half(it's crucial that there's the same amount of each), you get a fuel that burns brightly for a longer period of time. Cheap Lamp oil works, and for the white gas, just camping fuel. Soak for about 3-5 minuets depending on how long you wish to burn.

-That Fire Chick