Brigemember
10 posts

Posted:
I've been practicing with (non-fire) poi for about 3 months now and i LOVE IT...Hopefully by spring time i'll progress to FIRE! My question is whats the best way to hold the poi? It feels like its gonna slip off my fingers..There're two finger straps and it's sewn in the middle and they're wide...Actually i bought them from this website, it's the bright fuzzy tennis ball like ones with bright tails hanging...The instructional video i bought, which is awesome by the way, the only thing is she didn't have the same finger loops like mine. I've tried a couple of different ways but none were too comfy..Could someone please tell me the technically correct way to hold the poi? Thanks!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I use my first two fingers, and if it feels like the loops are slipping you can use you thumb to grip them while they are on you fingers (use whatever feels comfortable to you, a little experimentation will help) after a while you will get used to it. I can even do an open handed style, but it takes practice to get to where you don't send one flying occationaly winkyou can also use you next two fingers, or any combination, whatever you feel comfortable with (especialy if you have blisters developing and busting and stuff grin ) I know when I first started I had to change grips constantly to avoid rubbing off my skin, but I have thick, tuff skin now smile

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
If you get moleskin and pu tit where the string rubs against your skin, the irritation should go away.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
There is no "right way" to hold poi. It is all up to whatever you feel comfortable with. Some people use handles, some use finger loops, some use straps that attach at the wrist.I like to use a handle for non-fire stuff, but with fire I like using loops. With loops, I prefer to use my ring and middle fingers. smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
If you want to get fancy, I make a hand-harness that goes around two fingers and the wrist. Not everyone likes the feel of being strapped in, but I do.As Bendy said, there is no "right way."

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Brigemember
10 posts

Posted:
Thank you everyone for your help...Now that i know there's no "wrong" way, i'll be able to naturally find what feels right..Sometimes i get too wrapped up in the technical aspects of learning something totally new that i forget that I could improvise a little too.you guys and gals rock!

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Don't forget to try out rings. I love them. All the twirlers in my troupe use them. My teacher David King used them. If you've never seen rings, they are steel or brass, over a 1/4 inch thick, and over two in. in diameter. You hold it in the first two fingers. The advantage rings have over finger loops is that you can easily pass one poi into the other hand for one-handed moves. Get them at the hardware store.Leather leashes are good and fit over the first two or middle- and ring-fingers. There are at least two styles and are self-tightening and comfortable. Try to get together with your local twirlers and try out what they are using. If you have basic skills in leathercraft, you can easily make your own. Otherwise, all the fine fire toy venders can hook you up.Another one is the wrist leash, which goes around the wrist and runs across the palm, where you grip it like a stick or run your index finger through a ring at the end of the leash attaching to your cable or chain. I was at one event where the fire marshall required that all poi spinners use wrist leashes, so I always keep a pair in my bag. You can nick them off a couple of cheap dog leashes.Maximus

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Personally I use a double loop with my index and ring fingers through the loops and the middle finger not in any loop. Personally I think it give a little bit more control.Each to their own smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I certainly agree that there is no right way. But there are some wrong ways. smileI would stay away from any strap that's not leather as I get blisters from nylon and such. Also, make sure that the strap doesn't buckle or fold in your fingers or you'll surely get blisters. I'd mess around with different styles at first, then pick what feels best and gives you the best control.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I like holding mine in a kind of uncommon way (I am finding). I slip the loop over my first and my ring fingers, leaving my middle finger outside the loop. When I close my fingers I can spin with my palm open and it doesn't slip off but when I open them up it is easy to get them off for one handed stuff.It depends too on what types of moves you want to do. One handed and releases require a basic loop or handle where it is easy on and off. If those moves do not interest you then finger loops and wrist loops might be of more interest to you. It is all what you are comfortable with in what you are doing.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
personaly i use a loop aroud my index and middle finger, but when im ussing fire i also like to use a strap around my rist, which is attached loosly to the poi so that it does not effect it, it is as if im only ussing the finger loop, unless it slips when it will stop it flying off and burning my house down.

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

twirlgirlmember
13 posts

Posted:
Hi there!I'd been wondering about the way I hold my poi.. I followed the directions in the Art of Poi video, and it always seemed a little awkward to me... it seems like the bottom of the loop (where it joins the string) is off-center, and I also sometimes get the strings tangled up in my fingers. I am especially concerned about holding my poi securely, since I plan to eventually progress to fire, and I NEVER want to drop fire poi! Of course, I also want to hold them in a manner that does not make execution of moves more difficult or awkward (which is how I sometimes feel now).So, I did a search, and the overwhelming answer I've seen in several threads is to experiment and find what works for me... but the comments I've read have brought up another question. I've noticed that some people state that they can do their moves "open-handed" when they hold their poi in a certain manner or another. Does that mean that you usually spin with your hand closed into a fist, or that you just have your fingers pressed together? I'm just wondering, since my fingers tend to get in my way.Thanks! smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Welcome Twirlgirl!Good question, well asked. I personally have my poi strap over my 2nd and 3rd fingers and then looped out the back of the hand. This way I do keep my hands relaxed and in an open "C" shape as if I was holding a ball. Because they are looped around, the faster I spin, the tighter they hold on to my fingers. An even better way of assuring that they won't fall is a noose grip, which I don't like because you can't easily drop your poi if you get into trouble.I find that looping a leather strap over the 2nd and 3rd (or 1st and 2nd) finger and then between then gives a nice balance of snugness when you want it (and allow you to spin openhanded the entire time), yet don't require you to be harnessed to flaming balls of death if you mess up.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TEK829member
29 posts

Posted:
My brief thoughts:I prefer a leather-flaming-finger-noose-of-death (strapping pushed through a slit cut in the middle of said leather strap in just that way), as I very much am an open-handed twirler. If my finger nooses are unavailable, though, I'll settle for a normal wrapped-about-the-fingers loop, as NYC suggests. My experience is that most folks with the self-tightening idea usually have the loop-to-poi connection pointing out toward the finger tips. If *I* do this, they immediately slip off the ends of my finger and go airborn (kudos to you who make this work smile ). My solution is to take my fingers out of the loops, leaving the loop structure intact, and put them in the other way, so the poi-end of the straps is blocked by the finger-loop end. It adds a little more tension for me, but its' still pretty easy to escape from.I know I explained the whole thing poorly. I hope it makes sense. smile

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs at you. It's your choi

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
twirlgirl - I prefer to have a more secure grip with fire too, but I think it is also important that you can drop the poi when you need to. If they get tangled you might want to get out quick as you can.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
My fire pois have quite a big strap so I put the strap around my wrist and then loop then flat across my hand and thru my fingers.. the strap then comes down across my knuckles.. I find it quite secur as my pois are quite heavy - it is also a quick release in case things go and bit oo-er...My other pois just have a two finger strap which my first and middle fingers go in - they are alot lighter than my fire pois, so that is all I need...

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
The correct wat to hold poi is at the end without the glostick, fire, flag, tennis ball etc. On a more technical note has anybody here thought of using gloves for the handles, make onehanded move impossible but I'm thinking of making them anyway.------------------A wise man once said to me, "Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe!" and in a way, I guess he was right.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
PW--I have seen one set of gloves turned into grips. The guy started with a pair of plain leather work gloves. He stitched a leather strap (to use as an attachment point for the chain) to the front, just below the fingers, using heavy cord, and a thick leather reinforcement on the backside. Seemed very secure. Don't think he wound up using them much, though--not sure why.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
the best was for me is this: i make a loop at the end of the strings, tie that loop into a knot, then put one of my fingers through that loop. that's it. that way, i never, ever, EVER lose the poi from my hands. also, i wrap black electrical tape around where the glowstick meets the string for smoother transitions in body, neck, arm, and leg wraps. that also strengthens the glowstick from separating from the string. i spin my poi fast and strong at times and i don't want to hit anybody. try this out. hope it works for ya.check it out, it's my latest move. you can't really tell, but i am spinning on my back while doing leg wraps:https://www.livingart.com/raving/1f2frfbf/1f2frfbf03.htmi've just ordered the COL2 video. finally i get to see if i am any good or not. enjoy!

twirlgirlmember
13 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all your ideas, everyone!Now that I've finally finished the 5 million TONS of schoolwork I had due, I think I'll try out a bunch on different ways this weekend, and see what feels right.I just wish I had more time to practice... this whole silly grad school thing is getting in the way! smile lol.. At least I'll have plenty of time to practice after I graduate in May! grinThanks again for all your suggestions! You guys rock! wink