Forums > Social Chat > Need help: Losing Control With Chains

Login/Join to Participate

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
Hey people.Well I have these new dog chains, about 18 inches, and they weigh SOO much more than what I was using, string and glowsticks. I find it very difficult to CONTROL this weight, and the chains seems to like to flail in all different directions, usually ending up wacking me on the hand and arms. Sometimes I kinda tug them when I spin, and they co crazy.Any ideas for controlling these guys?-=M-D=-[This message has been edited by MystikDancer (edited 27 September 2001).]

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
Sure you've got the right wrist movement going? With lighter weights, you can usually get away with doving things anywhichway, but chains are a bit more unforgiving.Also, a swivel or two might make things a little easier if not there already.On a more vague note, perhaps going with the movement rather then trying to control it per-se might make them behave a little better, not to mention looking better too. =)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You might want to try to make your movements bigger, then bring them in tighter. Sometimes the force pushes the chains out.Tugging and forcing the chains usually results in something less than fluid because you are acting against the natural motion. THe transition from light to heavy always comes with an adjustment period. It does for me everytime I add heavier wicks. Practice slow and easy. Glowsticks move so fast because they are light but if you slow it down a bit and make it bigger until you get used to the feel I bet you will be spinning up to your usual standard in no time.Hope this helps.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
Don't forget, if any part of your chain is heavier or the same weight as your wick tit will cause flailing. Try weighting down your wick or lighter chain.

Keltmember
34 posts

Posted:
Also, you might try to keep the speed down a bit more. I've never spun chains, but I can imagine how a good mantra might be: "Slow and Steady"

Let me stand next to yourFire, fire on the mountain...

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
I've seen a couple of folks spin with dog chains, and while I've found I can eventually get used to the weight of any poi set, I really do have a hard time controlling them if the bulk of the weight is in the chain and not in the wick or whatever's on the end. If your chain is heavier than the wick, the centrifugal force is fighting the weight along the length of it, rather than having the weight at the end help it along in its arc. It might sound insane for you to add MORE weight to the ends of your chains, so if you are really having trouble or risk injury by adding more weight try a lighter grade chain, combined with slightly heavier wicks.Personally, I find glowsticks and strings to be WAY too light to spin. smile

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
I actually love the feel of string and glowsticks, no matter how impossible that may be for me if I decide to use fire tongue !!It was a light feeling, though a little hard to get the loops going straight sometimes.Its a hard transition to these chains, and yes the chains are heavy, and I may consider adding more weight to work things out to the reight feeling...-=M-D=-