Forums > Social Chat > Which is more difficult??

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Would you say.. Staff or Poi??

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Poi for sure..it's tough to tangle a staff.plus with poi, you have to think at least a few seconds ahead, the circular motion must continue in the same direction..with a staff you can just stop it on a dime..that's just my personal take, I'm getting pretty good with the staff, but everytime I pick up poi I bash myself in the head.[This message has been edited by RavingLunatic (edited 27 September 2001).]

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
Staff for sure..makes no sense to me at all, ive been spinning my broomhandle for about a month and i can still only spin it in front of me. the poi i wuz pulling tricks the first time i picked em up. although my right eye has been red on one side for a year from a high speed glowstick injury im sure i would have lost it with the staff

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Different for different people. I picked up poi relatively easy; I've been practicing with staff and it's been coming much slower. I know the reverse is true for some people.I find that I don't have the intuitive feel with the staff that I do with poi. I hope I'll get there in time.When I accidentally hit myself with my staff, it hurts a lot more.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
IMHO, Poi is easy to learn, but hard to master. I picked up poi easily, and Im still improving. As for staff, makes no sense to me either, Im not even good at spinning in front of me.But thats just my personal experience, i guess it could be the opposite for other peeps.[This message has been edited by bhawk (edited 27 September 2001).]

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I haven't spent much time on staff yet, but it would seem to me to be the easier of the two. The reason for this is that when practicing with a staff you can slow the move down to any speed you want (except throws) while pois need to maintain momentum to complete any move.Of course this is just for learning new things, I immagine that when you begin to speed up a staff for performace it would become more dificult (not there yet, wouldn't know). Still, with good basics, I would think it is easier.Just my views.------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

arrghmember

Posted:
Staff is much more easy. Never gets tangled. Its all in the wrists, I started with poi and then staff was pretty easy much much faster. Even though Im too stiff to do all I want with staff, since with staff I got all the rotations and now I want to do the nice looking stuff..yepyep

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Staff for me but I think it depends. I think if you learn staff first it will be a challenge and then you will be accustomed to several of the body motions and might find poi a tad harder than if you were to start it first, because they tend to isolate different parts of the body. Also since staff primarily uses one hand at a time the multitasking is simply not there and so it makes several things easier to learn since you don't have to do a duel focus, and can place all your concentration on one hand at a time. However, staff is more painful when dropped on you or smacked into you.From experience I learned poi first and found it not so bad, so when I went to learn staff, while it still takes practice, it was conciderably easier. I was able to pass the staff between my hands with relative ease and the behind the back things became much easier.I think if you have wrist problems then staff will be harder to learn. Shoulder problems will work against the poi.But this is all imho.Personally, I suggest to learn poi first...after that most of the spinning disciplines are easier than they are without the body focus and discipline poi takes.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I think poi is more difficult than single staff, only because you need to co-ordinate 2 different flying objects at the same time as well as move around, where with staff ive found that the staff can magically move around you while you dance and look great.But then double staff is harder than both :P

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
::streaks through thread holding flaming double crosses::

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thanks for all of your responses.. interesting!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
::starts to say something about its easier to look mediocre on a staff but decides not to::Josh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
aww, c'mon Josh - out with it! inquiring minds want to know.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
erm - IMHO!!! smileI think that anyone can wave a staff around, and you'll lose the crowd in a second. Poi have intrinsically more visual interest than a single staff..therefore its harder to look interesting on a single staff than it is on a pair of poi.Now that I've said this, its time for some young men to wank on about how hot they are on single staff winkJosh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I liked your response alot Josh, and I agree. I was thinking more from the learning aspect but definately as a visual, coming up with something that is intriguing not only to the spinner but also to the audience (especially the untrained one who misses the fine technical nuances) is very difficult, far more than with poi. Hell, with poi a split time side swing will get them yelling where as a single staff figure 8 shoulder roll will get them yawning. However, I will say that I also think that has *alot* to do with showmanship as well, body movement, facial expressions, etc....especially for someone like me who primarily performs fire in broad daylight!Good call! smileAnd yes Flash...we know, understand and sympathize with your plight but for the newbies who are just deciding...to paraphrase Josh, anyone can swing a staff around and get that satisfaction warm and fuzzy feeling.We *know* it takes someone with flare to as good as you! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 28 September 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I didnt say anything about doubles tho smiledouble staves is quite tricky...(IMHO) and can look really good.for some really good staff twirling, checkout the girl with the bandana in Dangerboy's crew on the Circles of Light vid - I think she rocks (for a single staffy wink) - also if you are in San Fran, checkout May from Infinite Chaos (and Spin Jam), by far and away the best fire baton twirler I've seen, and probly one of the best fire twirlers too.Josh