Forums > Technical Discussion > why don't my poi burn for long any more?

Login/Join to Participate

NoonaBRONZE Member
Cake lover
258 posts

Posted:
I could do with some advice. I'm pretty new to playing with fire but have made myself some pretty good fire chains (tube core kevlar wicks) I've probably had about 10 burns out of them so far, but now they're becoming a real problem to light and i'm only getting burns of about two minutes out of them. Could I do with replacing the wicks already? it's expensive stuff kevlar isn't it!

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Try taking it slow at first till they warm up. Speed has alot to do with how long them little buggers burn for.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Fire_Femmemember
6 posts

Posted:
It might have something to do with the way you are extinguishing your wicks. If you are dunking them in water or otherwise mistreating them, they may have a longer recovery time than you would like. One solution is to resoak them in your fuel immediately following a fire session.Good luck,Fire_Femme smile

NoonaBRONZE Member
Cake lover
258 posts

Posted:
Cheers for your help. Yeah I do dunk them back in the paraffin at the end, but that taking it slow idea is a good one.

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
I always find a good, long initial soak before anything happens helps loads.If im using brand new wicks I soak them for ages then spin off really well and always give them a good drink before i put them to bed.Some people I know smother with sand to extinguish - WHY?WHY?WHY?Gruff wink