Forums > Technical Discussion > What types of performances work best?

Login/Join to Participate

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I've been on the site for almost a year now and I haven't seen this question, nor did I find anything like it with the search.To the point--I'm finally starting up a fire troupe, and I was wondering what types of performances work best, and for what situations. In your experiences, what has been the most effective? I think that in performances we set up, fights would be pretty entertaining for the crowd (with lots of practice of course). But if we are hired by someone, fighting might not be appropriate. What would you suggest? Just showing off the moves to music? Or, trying to tell a story? Or, maybe, a good mix of both? Thanks for any replies.------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hikotage....Wow...that is a really broad based question!Ummmm...first of all how theatrical do you want to get? Costumes, make-up, lighting, props take alot of time and money but can be an amazing show.The types of presentations are limitless and really depends not only on the venue you are hired in, but also what you are getting paid (you wouldn't want to do an all out theaterical show for $50) and what the venue is looking for. If they are looking for a back drop for a public event, then you bring your music, set up and do your fire. There's a show people can look at and then keep walking on by without feeling they *need* to stay and watch. But if you are handed a stage and told to put on a show, then costumes, lights, music, choreography, etc must be carefully concidered for the audience you are supposed to entertain. (Remember, there are alot of people out there who despise techno, and many of them will be in your audience. Make sure the music for family events hasn't bad language or connotations.) Being mindful of your audience is a great way to keep getting hired. To entertain people you do not need to pull of you baddest moves. More often than not, they won't know anyway. Charisma, energy and really connect with the audience, that is how to entertain. Whatever your skill, it is a small part of it.You can tell stories through costumes and characterizations, with or without words, using tools as an accessory.Stage fights are thrilling in the right place. They tend to shower sparks about so it might not be good for an indoor, or a family oriented event. You can do banter and talk to the crowd.You can be silent.Live music or Cd music.Costumes vs Normal clothes.Lighting or no.You can have a show where the music is all themed, with matching costumes or go very ecclectic and each performer present themselves their way.You can have showcase where the performers strut their stuff individually (tagging each other to the stage) or something more structured and choreographed.I like outlines and some kind of structure no matter what show I do. It makes my awareness better for the crowd and it helps my safeties too, knowing that I am not zoned off and going to fall off a stage.Night clubs require little talking, that I can tell you.Public festival style events require at least some.Always make excellent eye contact with the crowd, let them know you appreciate their time. They are the reason you are there, the fact that you enjoy what you do comes after that, since you could be doing it in your backyard. Never once let that slip from your mind. Be intriguing. Don't play it up as too dangerous for two reasons...people are squeamish seeing this, it can scare them (I've had people in the audience cover their eyes) and someday you will have that one person who can do it too, and will be rude enough to try to prove you wrong. Never do something you don't enjoy, it'll show.Practice together as a group, as much as you can. Even the tag in and out. Make those transitions as smoothe as you can.Pace yourself. You don't need to whip it all out in the first 30 secs if you are booked for an hour, you know?Sorry, you hit a passion and I babble.Use your common sense to figure out what to do. Treat each event as unique oppotunity to present your art differently and use your imagination. From fire puppets to poi, you are only limited by your own imagination.If you need anything else, you know where to find me wink ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Thanks...that helps a lot. And don't worry about "Blabbing", everything is a great help. One question, though. In general...what has been you're favorite performance. It can be any type, with any type of audience (or none at all, if that's how you perfer to do things). So...what would it be?------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I would think that it all comes down to your target audiance. With most of the people I know just getting drunk in an abondoned warehouse with some good industrial music, spinning flaming crap around is where it's at.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
My favourite performances are the up-close-and-personal ones.Where you aren't cordoned off from the crowd and you can go and get volunteers and get within a few feet of people when doing different things. I rarely do fire on stages as I've got other skills which are more suited to being at a distance to the crowd.Mostly, I rely on my bottling techniques to not only keep the crowd interested but also to conserve fuel and energy so I don't tire so quickly or burn up hundreds of dollars of fuel in a night.Overall, the best performance I have had was in my home town (not many people recognised me) and they all laughed when they were supposed to laugh, applauded when they were meant to applaud, went quiet in awe at the right times and were basically just super-impressed.For me, it's the individual crowd that makes a performance, as much as i would like to say it might be me... grin grin grin grin ------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Here, here Charles.The ones where I have audience members come up with me. Where I talk to them and really connect are my favorites. It's why I love working Ren Faires, because I can do that.The reason is not only do you guage their reactions so much better because it is so much more intimate but you can feel their reactions, see it in their eyes. You can really shape their emotions. You take it from "Ooh, that is pretty." to "Oh my god, that fire is really hot!" There is a level of honesty and understanding with an up close audience that is just inherent and not forced (it seems to satisfy the questions: Is that real fire? What do you put on your skin to protect yourself? You blew that out before you put it in your mouth, didn't you? These just don't get asked as often as it does when people are a good distance away).That honesty lends to the experience for the audience, and as a performer I feed on their energy too, so it gives me more drive to do more for them. That and they are right there feeding my fragile ego instead of filing out of the show from ten rows back. That is an amazing feeling.The worst ones, and it took Whipping Boy to help me with this, is when I am supposed to just spin. No interaction, just backdrop type thing. The audience gets too awed to say/do anything. Since I am not interacting I don't know what their reactions are. There is music, fire and me on that platform. Truly, I thought the audience hated me or had no regard at all, but it was WB who told me they were awed into silence is all. Those are the worst shows because you are left wondering how they really felt, and as a performer (and I have to admit this), I find validation through other people's responses to what I do. It isn't very validating when you stop to silence.Hikotage, did you not say in another thread that you are in Junior High? If so, to warn you, you may have problems obtaining insurance in order to put on professional shows. I just wanted to forewarn you. If I have the wrong person, then I apologize.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
No...I'm a Junior, in High School, 16 years old. I might still have a little trouble, but not as much (I hope). Thanks for the warning, though.------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)