Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah, yeah, I did an exhaustive search and found scattered information on meteors but it seems to me that "meteors" is the ghost toy of firetwirling. Some people claim to have seen them, some people don't even know that they exist...I'm off this week to buy some meteors and an informative book on how to twirl them BUT I'd love to know WHO twirls OFTEN so I know who to turn to when I get bored.Who will be my meteor mentor? smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Well I sometimes, and not with any sort of style/grace/ability, use a meteor. My non-fire poi can be attached at the handles, leaving me with a moderate length meteor; 190cm tip-to-tip.(As poi they are rather long at 95cm each, but that is ok with me)Not exactly ready to be a mentor, but willing to learn alongside as a fellow student smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I call it a meteor hammer. Love it. Perform with it whenever possible. Mine is about seven feet long (215cm.) I attach one or two poi balls to each end.https://www.rain.org/~philfear/mhammer.gifIt's a staff, it is poi, it wraps, flies, slices and dices. Lesson number one: hold it with your hands about shoulder-width apart. Do a figure-8 leading with the right hand. When you have built up enough speed, switch to a one-handed figure-8 or a two-handed rotor.Maximus

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
Out of curiosity, how would you spin a meteor??Does the rope/chain have to be special (ive tryed tieing my glowstick poi together and spining it but it didnt work)

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
::comes in and speaks in an annoyingly high pitched voice::shouldn't that thread be in the "technical section" of the forum ?awaits a few seconds for NYC's reaction and runs away to hide under the bed winkAs for meteors, I hope Pozee's gonna post cause I think he hs been playing around with them for a while.NYC, you go, buddy and make sure you teach me, once you are familiar with these deadly toys, Ok ? winkshine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
There's a book in the shop.....the meteor book

Meh

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
How do you spin a meteor?The move I described above gets the thing going on an axis. That makes the weight of the fire balls pull the rope straight by centrifugal force. It gets pulled straight enough to be handled like a staff. It feels rigid, like a giant rubber band. Then you can do staff spins like like the two-handed rotor and the helicopter.Like many moves, it's easier than it looks.But amazing and fun, nonetheless.Maximus

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...I find that meteor is a slightly limited pair of poi (becuase certain moves cannot be done becuase of the connected middle section), though you can do a little more with than with poi...Naturally because one can treat it like a staff with the right timing. Just practice staff moves with it...that's my main suggestion. Other good uses is to practice doing poi moves then just randomly (at first) letting go of one hand to utilize the meteor's setup. For some real fun, get a pair of meteors and try double-staff/double-poiing them. [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">------------------[/image]---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
thanks Cass - moving over to Tech.I'm up for learning meteor too. Was gonna buy the meteor book and toy from teh shop but when I looked last week it seemed to have vanished.I need a new toy. Not interested in poi, completely useless with clubs, so I think a meteor is the answer for me.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've been toying with the idea for a while now too. I think I mentioned it to Flash a while back as well (?).The link to the book that I posted seems to work when I click it. Might be my pc playing tricks with me again though. I did notice, however, that the actual meteors section in the shop was empty.Some devine plan of Malcolm's evidently. Ours is not to reason why etc...------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Hitokage - it is like limited poi, but there are things you can do with a meteor that you can't with poi or a staff eg body wraps (and if you _can_ do them with a staff or poi then I didn't know. It's just plain different ok!? wink)And that random let go of one hand thing - that really is the extent of my meteor bag of tricks!! grin

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
meteors are the bomb.begin with a horizontal over the head helicopter, propelling each "half" of the rope so that the heads stay opposite.. the point is to keep the rope "straight" using centripetal force. once that is done, start working on moving the rope up and down your body.. wrapping kneck, waist, legs...just play. you'll get the feel.

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
oh yeah...here are a few meteor peekchors:https://staff.washington.edu/pmford/PaulFord.jpg

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I agree, Bendy.One thing I have never tried but imagine might work is--Throws! I guess I'll try to do them like I do staff throws...I'll let you guys know if it works. That would be sweet to watch particularly if someone thought you had poi when infact you had meteors. One second you're poi-ing. The next, the flames are way up in the air! fun!------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Ohh wow I am really inpressed by the photos hmm gonna have to try meteors when I get back statestide

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quick question for meteor people:Is it pointless to start meteors without first learning staff?And Cassi, better watch out hiding under that bed, I hear it's not that sturdy. tongue

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Since I am far from proficient in either staff or meteor, I can't really comment, but I wouldn't say pointless. I am learning them both concurrently, so I guess I shall find out if I am right!I think an ability in both staff and poi would assist - so that means yeah, staff would help you NYC, and I hate to say this, but Cantus, you might want to dig up those old poi - literally! tongue

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Pointless to learn meteor without first learning staff?No. You can work on transfering your poi skills over to the meteor first. You do poi on the meteor by choking up on the ropes from the fire balls. I find slightly over shoulder width is ideal. You can do most of the weave, butterfly and corkscrew moves this way.Then add in staff-type moves as you learn them. I would recommend learning them on the staff first.Maximus

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i love to play with those things. mostly what my play is, is mostly wraps and stuff and a couble of no handed things. maximus sounds pretty learned with it.one thing i like to do that i posted a while back is a one handed butterfly and on the up swing, put the part that you are holding onto your neck and then jump in fron of the butterfly and then jump back behind the butterlfy and grab them again.a little tricky at first but it works...more later...

anyone got a light?

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
I also tried learning meteor. My question is how do you straighten it into a staff? I tried maximus' figure 8 thing but i don't know how to gather more momentum without the sides hitting me.Unless the figure 8 move isn't like jumproping where you cross your hands...[This message has been edited by TranceKuja (edited 09 January 2002).]

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Bendy (sshh this is a secret) I have new (ish) poi. I can do a few moves with them - low wave, mexican wave, a couple of others I can't find in the HOP lessons section so I don't know what they're called - not overly good with them though.I'm not digging up the others. They were f*cking lethal shocked They were way too heavy for little me, just starting out, and made of extremely hard polycarbonate type stuff.I'm not sure of the injury power of beaming poi but i would guess that these were somewhat similar.They're staying in their shallow grave.

Meh

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Yes, you do cross your hands. Hold it in front. Right hand palm up. Left hand palm down. Jerk it to the right and down. Then flip it over, crossing from right to left.Maximus

Bdazemember
8 posts

Posted:
The meteor design was actually adapeted to the juggling world from that of the martial arts. they were originally a weapon. basically they consiter of two hammers or mauls on oppostie ends of string or chain. these were generally used by the monks of shaolin because they did not have high killing potential and could ensnair a weapon. you could try dojng a search for wushu meteor techniques. hope this helps.

beeing shot sixteen times is no way to die, falling 68 stories out of a blim flying over the super bowl while on fire now thats the way i wanna go.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The Meteor Book on the site is a wonderful resource. Instead of purchasing one off the bat, make one out of rope by knotting the ends (the book describes it best). This way you will know if you like meteors before purchasing any and if you don't you can always find another use for the rope. winkMeteor's can be weilded as a staff but also as poi, on end in each hand and if not on fire, you can wrap on end around your arm and use like a rope dart. They are extremely versitile tools, but they take a good bit of practice. And yes, NYC, I find that knowing staff, even as little as I do, makes it easier to weild a meteor (note, I didn't say easy...just -er grin)------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 18 January 2002).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about all this, "works like a staff and a set of poi." I've just recently started playing with meteors. I'll agree that knowing how to spin a staff and poi will help with the learning curve, but so far it hasn't acted like either staff or poi. Maybe mine are too heavey. For me it's all about momentum and sustaining that momentum. Having knots that are shoulder width apart and centered have helped me. Grabing the center of the rope does nothing for me, except lose all the momentum. It's all about those two knots IMHO. My meteor is 7'10" from tip to tip. I made it out of climbing rope and tied monkey fists at the ends with La Crosse balls in the centers for wieghts.------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

Dj Masta Killamember
4 posts

Posted:
Meteors?? Hmm?? What exactly are meteors and how do they work? Are they like poi? I have no idea. Need some info about these bad boys cause they sound interesting.....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
DJMK...Meteor is a long rope/chain with counter weights on either end, which you can then spin in a style closest to staff, as well as adjust to other style of twirling.Maelstrom...hold those two center knots of yours and do a poi style butterfly, now go to a weave. See? It can be weilded like poi.If you have enough momentum the rope should straighten out completely and keep going which means the meteor is handled from the center as a staff. To use as a rope dart, tuck one end up and under your armpit. It is a very mutliversed tool, but I think it takes alot of practice and more space than I have in my living room while the ice is on everything outside!Lacrosse balls aye? You just gave me a good idea for a practice toy I have been struggling with! Thanks!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
I think it's actually better to start out practicing the helicopter and learning how to move it up and down your body... i don't spin staff and it has not affected my performace with meteors...

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Pele: Okay granted you can do poi type moves with the meteors. But they are different. For example I can't just go from a reverse weave to a BTB reverse weave. I most first get the rope behind me. I've just started so I'm far from realy knowing what I'm talking about. It is going to take alot of practise, accompanied with alot of bruises. It's like learning the same moves over again. ------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.[This message has been edited by Maelstrom (edited 19 January 2002).]

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hmmmm, ive only played with Hitokage's meteor a couple times...(god that sounds dirty, oh well)same thing as poi basically, except for the fact that you can do one handed stuff with em, and the throws, which i look forward to seeing Hitokage doing the next time he performs :grins evily:but actually, you could do almost everything you can with meteor with poi, even the one handed stuff with practice, i mean, get a one handed butterfly going with poi, wrap one of the poi, and bam, youre into a rotor, and granted you might not be able to pass it from hand to hand easily (or at all, ive never actually tried this)but itll look like the same thing, and then, just pass one of the poi back to the other hand, and youre back into a weave with poi, so i dunno, i kinda see meteors as pointless i guess, but ive never actually played with them for any real amount of time, so yeah, thats my two cents...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
POINTLESS!!! confusedWhat about wraps and reversals, whip moves, stalls and reversals have two different size circles going?It seems to me that the possibilities grow the more I think about it just like poi and staff, but because it lends it self to parts of poi, staff, whip, rope dart and many other similar disaplines - the learning curve just goes outa the roof. A flexible is just that.I am definatly not any authority on meteors but there are so many variable factors to take into account that I recon you will see them blossom beautifully from my dodgy weapon of death trap into a very expressive medium in there own right. Plus it looks like the guys above are doing pretty well already. I just get large bruises and more broken stuff. grinI used to think it was all in the wrist but meteors have shown just is just the start of it.TEMPEST

Page: