DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
OK - I got both the COL videos and in one of them (Sorry, I forget who) some dude is "holding" fire in his hand which he then uses to light his staff.Whilst I'm sure this is very dangerous and should never be tried unless surrounded by wet-towel wielding safties, with 3 different fire extinguishers, full insurance and if possible using someone else's hands; if someone was daft enough to try (say...... me for example) how is it done?I rememeber from my pyro childhood that if you cover your hand in Zippo fuel and light it the fuel burns but not your hand for a while. Is this it?------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble The Mug Shot Gallery MSN Poi Community Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Durbs, the guy you are talking about is from the NYC burning sock tribe I think .I too found it really cool and was told that it is done with coleman fuel indeed (coleman fuel being close to zippo fuel).It is very dangerous and you remember the 1001 threads warning about the danger of that. Charles will jump in, NYC will jump in I guess and ... why don't we all jump in and start a little dance winkdamn ... note to self : quite smoking crack winkShine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
its the same as pooling or trailing, where you pretty much have to be able to rely on yourself to put yourself out since the idea is to have coleman fuel fumes burning in close proximity to your skin. yes you will have burning fuel on you, since that is the point of it, so its as dangerous as you make it.with my staff i would be more worried burning myself on the screws that hold the kevlar on than from the fuel fire on my hand...Pere

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
crack kills

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that puppy. I'll try to remember for the future.....

Meh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
So do turtles (If given enough time)OK - so generally it's not one to try after a few drinks as a party trick. When it comes to lighting the wick - is that Coleman as well as I'm guessing if you use Paraffin/Kero (which I do) it takes a while to light...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
It was really meant more for Cassandra, Cantus.

Jesus helps me trick people.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Durbs...yeah, all wicks for that should be Coleman or naptha for expediency sake. Touch the unlit wick to get fuel on your hand, run the flames of the lit end near your hand and it will ignite...you can also tap your hand with the lit and have the flame transfer. Ignite whatever off of this, close your hand wipe it on your leg or arm...whatever. It is actually one of the entry level pooling tricks, the first one I learned in fact.Peregrine, turn your staff or hold it so the bolts face away, they won't hit you then.Also, if you grab the unlit and then pass the flame over your hand, you won't even touch a burning bolt.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yes Puppy. But she knows too. She was joking.

Meh

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Sick Puppy, sorry if my crack joke offended you ???? eeeeeeeer...yes, thank you cantus for understanding my twisted brain and poor humour. i was indeed joking... besides... I prefer smoking pianos smile[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 06 January 2002).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"