DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
ok so i had this bright idea but i just got stuck mad i made my oun staff and got stuck on what to put on the ends im not useing this for fire just practice any ideas? smile

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
How about big(-ish) lumps of plasticine?Will protect the staff and will be quite heavy(obviously if it's just a practice staff, I mean, they won't look very good will they, but it's a solution, right?)

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
well its compleatly neon but i have thought of tails on it or just cilps to hook glow sticks.

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
i posted a reply to the cheapo glowstaff idea which might be helpfull to u. only change i might suggest is that if ur staff isnt solid, ie hollow, it might be easier to drill a hole thru the staff at either end feed a carabiner through that to hook ur glowsticks onto. hope this is of some help

May your staff spin fast and your poi always miss your balls.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Tails are good but the slow the staff down quite a bit (wind resistance etc). I had tails on my first staff and they used to whip me in the face a lot when i was spinning. I sheared them off in the end.

Meh

I am Schwabemember
25 posts

Posted:
well if they slow you down that is perfect for trainingerrr....dont know if thats a motto for dancing with thembut in the terms for combat, (originally used for) heavier than nessecarry staffs would be used, and even clothes were weighted...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've previously discussed the merits of a heavier staff. And somewhere there is a bit about endurance training. So i'm not going into it again.You don't need a slower staff to perform slower movements though. Or to aid training. Just move slower. Start slow then speed and fluidity comes from experience.------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
It all comes down to what you are practicing for. If you want to build endurance then you need to train with something much heavier than what you'd normally use. If you're just practicing for the sake of practicing then it doesn't really matter. If you are training to perform then you should practice with a set up that is the same as what you're going to be performing with as much as possible. I can see the merit of tails for daytime practice, but not to slow the staff down. They would be great for being able to see where the ends of your staff are in context to your spin.But I can also see why Cantus tore them off, too.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 03 January 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
so what should i actually put on them or should i make them interchangable or what? tongue

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Why not make them interchangable, that way you can use what ever catches your fancy that day.On mine I have snap hooks attached to the staff with eye bolts so I can use any style of wick I want (including practice wicks) and take them off so that they don't stink up my house.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 03 January 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Pesornally, I strongly recommend some padding (i use old t-shirts) on practice staffs. Not for training or wind resistance or anything fancy like that.It doesn't hurt so much!!!!------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
padding is a good thing i have found that out (ouch)

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
so far i've only needed padding where padding is more of a nuisance...center-staff.horizontal spin-throws...too high...ouch.note to self: just because luck allowed a vertical spinthrow 25' up and catch doesn't mean it'll work more than twice in a row...let alone horizontal. wink------------------"life begins between the night and the light."

life begins between the night and the light.