blue_flameBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Hey, I have been using kerosene for all my spinning but have found that it is quite stinky and smokey. Although this is fine for some occasions where I am only fire spinning, at parties and other places I would like to use a less stinky fuel. I have decided on lamp oil. I was simply curious if there was a way to remove the smell of kerosene from the fire toys (by soaking them in something or another process) or if it will just eventually come out by using lamp oil...I did a few searches but couldn't find how to take the smell out of them...Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.Thanks, Chris

Defy Gravity!

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
you know, ill tell you what, i havent found a damn thing to take out the kero smell. on my first pair of jeans, i had this bright idea that i was going to move my equipment from one location to another, so i was going to be slick and do it without packing all my gear back up, including not putting the lids on my kero paint cans. well, i was moving them, quite carefully, but somehow got engrossed in a enthralling discussion while walking, and completely forgot it was kero i was carrying, and in mid sentence i noticed my pants were getting very wet. i looked down, and half a gallon of kero had managed to soak into my pants... shocked NOT a good experience. i got a dab of kero on some pants that i really really like, and had to put em through the washer like 4 times, then let them sun dry in the open air, and that worked. that was on a nylon material though. havent found anything suitable to take it out of cotton yet. havent really tried though.

Wow

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Pele gets excited at the smell of kero.... grin*dives for cover before she sees him*------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

Jedimember
11 posts

Posted:
i love the smell of kerobut i just wash my clothes ,after fire breathing, and the smell comes out and i get alot of kero on my clothesnothing speacil

May the force be with you

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Try "Simple Green". I've never tried it for kero, but aside form an ammonia/bleach combo (which is an **extreemly** dangerous chemical combo, for those who don't know) it is the only thing that takes the smell of cutting oil out of my work clothes. You should be able to pick it up at any grocery or hardware store. The stuff is freaking amazing.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

blue_flameBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the suggestions, but I was looking more for information on removing the smell from the POI themselves, rather than the clothes that I wear while spinning. Thanks again!Chris

Defy Gravity!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Jeez Cantus....I go away for a week and when I come back I check a bunch of threads and see that in each one you mention me.....do you have some secret to tell me love??? wink Do you long to light up around me and see what comes up? grinAnyway, I am back. To get the smell out of your tools???? It isn't going to happen. It is essentially burned in. Hanging them outside helps a bit but you want to keep your wicks a bit damp with fuel anyway to allow them maximum life. I fear, it is somewhat unavoidable and instead you should be looking for something that seals tightly to store them in so that you needn't smell them in the interim (though I can't imagine anyone not liking the smell! wink). Rubbermaid containers, oversized thermos', small locking coolers all work well.And as for clothes, baking soda in the wash water, OxyClean...where it is available, and really hot water works well.Many regards (and love to you Cantus!)------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
By stopping using kero and using a different fuel can help. We stopped using kero and started using fire water and over time the smell of kero just wasnt there anymore.Finn soaked her wicks for a while in citronella to get rid of the smell, just takes some burns and some soaks.Be patient, wont happen quickly though!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

blue_flameBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Sounds good! Thanks for the info, I'll keep using lamp oil and hopefully the smell will gradually dissipate, if it doesn't then it's not that bad anyways wink.Good thing you're back Pele, now Cantus will stop complaining about the lack of moderators around grin grinChris

Defy Gravity!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Pele, I've been lonely. There's been no one about (not strictly true. But none of the old skool).No you or Flash. NYC has been thin on the ground. Josh has been here sparingly. Charles is inventing new words with his lady love. Others too, have been conspicuous in their absence.I've been trying to look after things in your absence (keeping threads on subject, getting people to do searches/check meet others, stopping excessive usage of caps etc). But with mixed results - Itsgotab and Dianna both shouted at me for meddling.I tried to be a good boy.....

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
:blowing kiss to Cantus:I appreciate you efforts, and now that i am back, you know I will be kicking ass and taking names! winkBring 'em on!Citronella? Yuck! I think the smell of that is worse than Kero anyday!Coleman (white gas/naptha) doesn't have as much of an odor to it, though it is more volitile.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
(dodges a flying kiss)As for the smell getting out of your clothing, it doesn't work for me unless i get my busking threads drycleaned.Admittedly I do use lots of fuel and often busk for 3-5 hours, so maybe its kero and sweat...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?