SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
I found this article written on a web site and thought that it would be very interesting thing to discuss.DRY FUEL The two main types are LYCOPODIUM POWDER and CUSTARD POWDER, and they are used for fire-breathing. Some magicians also use lycopodium for small flashes and fire effects. Lycopodium, which produces the brightest flame, is the spore of club moss, and resembles a fine yellow powder. Custard powder is the stuff you find in the market. Either can be blown into a cloud and lighted into a ball of flame. Powdered milk works too. The usual procedure with lycopodium is to hold a small amount in a tube which you blow through and light. (MSDS on Lycopodium is not very informative: it kills frogs at 6 gm/kg -- the equivalent dose for a 150-pound human is about nine pounds.) With custard, I’ve been told that you take a deep breath, pour a quantity into your mouth, and spray into a torch. Blowing through a tube would probably work too. As with all fire-breathing, the best way to learn how is directly from an expert. The fire hazards of powder are obviously much less severe than those of liquid fuel. I haven’t heard of serious physical or medical injuries, though one user claims that lycopodium is poisonous. I have heard reports of asthma attacks by people with pre-existing conditions. I do know that prolonged breathing of coal dust gets you black lung disease and prolonged breathing of bakery flour gets you white lung disease, both of which are debilitating or fatal (as well as explosive). And I have too much imagination (and I’ve read too much science fiction) to be comfortable with putting any amount of a vegetable spore in my lungs, so I’ve never tried it. And I can’t stand the taste of custard. Lycopodium can be purchased through magic supply stores and in some pharmacies. Magicians commonly use flash paper, flash cotton, or flash string to produce bright flashes of fire. These are all forms of nitrocellulose and are extremely dangerous. When not in use, all flash products should be stored in water in a sealed plastic bag, and locked in a fireproof box. Dry out only what you are going to use within 24 hours. Making your own flash stuff is exactly as safe as making your own dynamite, and there are a surprising number of fingerless ex-magicians who can tell you about it. Of course you can’t juggle flash paper, but you can fire it out of a “hand cannon” or from an electronically controlled pyro cannon or flash pot. Rock musicians do this all the time. They also have licensed pyro technicians do it for them because they are just entertainers, and not really suicidal maniacs. Copyright © 1998 by Eric Bagai ------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
course, in the US, it is illegal to pick the club moss (princess pine) which is a threatened species, so one wonders where they make it.we used it as kids, it makes a HUGE fireball, one teaspoon in the fireplace was enough to make a fireball that singed the things all around the mantlepiece. Pere

Anubismember
11 posts

Posted:
I have heard lots about serious injury involving explosive powders. Even though I hinted in another thread (Great balls of fire) that those methods could be used indoors, a build up of dust from anything that can burn should be treated in the same way as a gas leak. Always make sure the building is well ventilated. One of the biggest concerns and dangers in a saw mill is dust and the risk of explosion. Far more so than people putting their hands through saws.Putting worries about lung disease aside, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE DANGER OF DUST AROUND A NAKED FLAME, it isn't safe, although it might be safer than liquid fuelApart from that I would much rather put a food substance in my mouth to breath fire than a fuel, and I'm sure many other people would as well.

__ __ __ __ __You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
After reading the article I'm interested to see how well powerded milk works. smile------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
They also skipped over corn starch (finely milled) and baking powder, and only lightly touched on baking flour. It is amazing that something in large quantities which can put a flame out in small quantities will explode?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
I guess anything will burn if you hit it's flashpoint. smile------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter

dizzymember
43 posts

Posted:
wow i cant get my head round the custard. I'm going to have to get some and try smilewhere can you get lycopodium from in the uk + what is it? grin Dizz

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
as someone who has put an amount of custard powder in their mouths and lit a fireball with it, i have this to say: don;t bother. for one thing, the fireball isn't very impressive. second, it you even think about breathing, you'll start coughing and look ridiculous trying not to cough and just having little puffs of powder coming out of your mouth with each convulsion. third, the powder that touches the lining of your mouth instantly turns into a glue-like substance, feeling nasty and making you want to gag. fourth, after blowing your not terribly impressive fireball, you end up with a goopy white mess all over your mouth, inside and out. pneumonia aside, kero is da bomb.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

dizzymember
43 posts

Posted:
Thats put me right of! smile Have u used dryed milk?Im wont too find some thing that tased beter than parafin any idears?Dizz

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Any finely ground, hydrocarbon based material will explode/burn...Flour mills often explode...Milk Powder factories often explode...In the original post, the lung diseases talked about originate from breathing the fine dust into your lungs, the dust will then clog the small pockets where you transfer the oxygen into your blood...until you decrease your ability to absorb oxygen too much and you get sick. Any very fine insoluble dust will do it if you breathe it in.We have blown fire balls as kids using flour and milk powder, but we were blowing a fist full of the powder into an open fire...did get some pretty colours, but is no where near as impressive as breathing liquid hydrocarbons like lamp oil.------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
*Bump*

I'm interested in fire breathing though, looking at the risks, it's not for me. But I'm interested in getting the same effect. By the sounds of it blowing flour isn't all that impressive. What about getting a handful and throwing at a flaming torch?

Thoughts?

Would it work?
Would it look good?
Risks?
Precautions?
Practicalities?
Weevles?

Cheers all
ubbrollsmile

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Burnoff wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I thought that an airborne powder would be a lot more dangerous than a flammable liquid around a flame as it has the tendancy to explode rather than burn controllably. Anyone remember when that custard powder factory exploded?

Although I'm really not too experienced in these things. Maybe i'm just silly. biggrin

Edit: probably shoulda read the thread properly.
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1133695039)

Juggle 'til I drop!

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Burnoff wink

Yeah, but doesn't work with poi...

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.