wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
Okay i ran into a problem. I had a Sony DSC-F505V camera... finally found out how to take good fire pics with it....the day after i sold it. *growl* anyways i was looking at getting a replacement that was more portable, and would provide the ability to get good fire pics. I got enough money back from the sale to buy the DSC-P5 (they are both sony cybershots, notice i lean toward sony on digs, mainly because i already have a 64MB memory stick for my walkman... i'm a techie sorry....)Anyways the DSC-P5 would be my preference. if anyone knows what kind of quality it gives and how to set it to do so I'd appreciate your input. Otherwise feel free to recommend a good digital camera (no i did a search for the 2 camera type and cybershot not digital cameras.. sorry *bashes self*, that question is an afterthought)ThanksWulff

wulff

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Actually, Sony's successor to the 505, the 707, has a couple of excellent features for low-light photography. It's not remotely portable, and it is expensive, but it is really cool. You'll need a 128 MB memory stick to really get the most out of it.Olympus' 3040 and 4040 come with fast (f1.8) lenses, are fairly portable, and get good reviews overall.If I were getting a camera today, especially to shoot firedancing, I'd look hard at any of the above.Here's an excellent resource for reading up on digicams:https://www.dpreview.com/

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
I have a HP Photosmart 912 which is about the best digital camera that I've ever come across especially if you've got any SLR experience. You should at least add it to your comparison list.Ðraevon

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I love my oldass SLR. Then I just get the photodisk whenever I get it developed. I'm sure a top-of-the-line digital would be nice to have as well. IF you are photocompitent nothing beats a good old SLR that only tells you what you want to know and doesn't try to override you with "I think you really want this f-stop/shutter speed" or "I think you really want to focus on the background"...If you do buy a fancy SLR make sure you can turn OFF the automatic features as they will be "fooled" by most aspects of firespinning. Make sure you have a "bulb" feature. And get a good flash... smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
This is kinda off topic, but whats the best film to use for taking pics of glowpoi:100, 200, 400, or 800? Any advice is welcomed.thnx, Draco

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Depends on how bright they are and whether or not you'll be using flash.I'd go for the 400 or 800 and leave the shutter wide open (low f-stop)... and the darker the place you spin the better streaks you'll get.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Neph23BRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
for awesome glow in the dark results there is a film out there called Fuji 100/1000 not only do you get the low grain of 100 speed film but the speed of 1000. I rate the film at 1000 to capture the light and movement (still a lower shutter speed, usualy around 1 second or more) then push the film 4 stops.. Its awesome stuff, but kinda a killer on the pocket book @ $13 a role... I have some black light stuff on my site you can check out ((clicky personal)).... that was all done with Fuji 100/1000 or Kodak VS 100... they are stills, not of glow poi, but you will see the results of the film...As for digital, I would LOVE one of the new sonys... but am poor... Id also like a Nikon D1... but once again... poor... So Ill stick with my SLR till my work starts selling.. smile------------------https://www.VitalePhotography.com[This message has been edited by Neph23 (edited 17 December 2001).]

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
first, yes I would much prefer a bompletely manual system seeing as how i prefer film photography but digital is so much for time/cost effective for me (not everyone). I also already have a mem stick (see 1st part of thread) for the sony.anyways... well i got ahold of a P5 to play with... and the pictures i took are here:https://www.nytefyre.net/duo.html The top row is my friend Renegade Chuck, first 2 pics with a single poi rest with staff.The bottom row is me with my poi. (the last one is some leg wraps.. i thought it looked spiffy heheh)Anyways i think this was the longest exposure i could set the camera to based on not having the manual and more time. Comments on quality?The first 2 pics were taken on highest res and cropped/resized, rest were taken at 640x480.Wulff

wulff

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
My comments:1. Get a tripod2. Get closer to your subject3. Take pictures earlier in the burn when there's more light4. Set the camera to ASA 400 and let it do an auto-exposure5. Try a few shots with slow-sync flash (assuming the camera supports this feature, which it probably does)

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
*nod* i agree and will do all of the above. these were just *will the camera do what i want* shots.... which it will so i can move up from there winkwulff

wulff