CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I need your help, my friends...There is a friend coming to visit me in Paris for Xmas and he threaten's me NOT to come if I don't find some white gas to trail (how rude is that by the way... who'd prefer white gas over ... me ?????::making sad little puppy's face to make him look extremely rude and me look like a poor victim:: wink).Anyway, I have NO IDEA whatsoever what white gas may be called here, looks like etc... I don't know eitehr where to look for the translation...can anyone help me ? or else i'll be all alone for Xmas again ... frownshine onCassandraPS : Hey... you, yep... YOU ... I know you're reading this ... see what i do to get you that damn white gas ??? some fetch the moon for their friends... i'll find some white gas for you ... wink[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 15 December 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DömAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
That is so rude! He should be ashamed of himself! But it is quite funny winkDon't know the French name, but I think in the UK I think white gas is the same as 'White Spirits'. Colourless, clear liquid usually sold in DIY shops. Don't know if this helps at all!Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

4,224 posts

Posted:
White spirit ? you mean that thing you use to remove painting etc... ???is that what white gas is ???? can anyone confirm ?thanks for the tip, Dom, and see ya tomorrow smileShine oncassandra

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
White gas is a type of fuel used for camping stoves (I've also seen it called stove fuel or camp fuel). Burns clean and hot. I *think* the French for this is "napthe".

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

DömAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Ah, apparently it's not the same, so ignore me frown This is a technical question about practical stuff, so way beyond me! Apparently White Gas is another name for Coleman Fuel, which is a brand available in Europe from camping shops. Available in pressurised cylinders or normal screw-top containers (which is probably what you need for fire use).So I'm going to sit back any let someone with knowledge confirm that or not....[This message has been edited by Alternativa (edited 15 December 2001).]

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Coleman fuel is available as ``Essence C' 'in French supermarkets and hardware shops. Your "friend" sounds like a jerk. tonguePerhaps you should come to NYC for christmas... I've got plenty of whitegas. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

4,224 posts

Posted:
Adam, thank you so much !NYC ... Is Coleman fuel the same as White gas ? Are you sure it is called Essence C ??? I really never heard that word !!! All right, I'm a good girl, I'll keep searching around !And... no, that "friend" is not a jerk but he is a woos (he does not even do fire wraps on bare skin wink)And what if I went to NYC for Xmas and you went to Paris , would that make us the two most stupid buddies on HOP ??? winkShine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 15 December 2001).]

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
I hope that this will be of use for someone. I found out that there is lots of confusion between different fuel names in different countries.For instance, in the U.K. people talk about "paraffin" when they mean the fuel that Americans call "kerosene". Paraffin or paraffin, is in Swedish and Finnish the thing you put under your skis in order to get them to run faster, so it is not appropriate to put that in a kerosene lantern or lamp.This fuel table needs the following explanation.1. This is the fuel used in for instance Aladdin and other wick lamps, as well as in pressure lamps of Petromax type.2. The fuel we run our cars on (not Diesel). Nowadays most cars use fuel without led, but standard "gas" is still available.3. This is the fuel used in Coleman "Gas" lanterns, also named Coleman Fuel. It should be about 60% Hexane and 40% Heptane.4. Different spirits used to pre-heat petromax or other kerosene pressure lanterns with.The rest of this post is formated in a comma delimited file. If you have excel for Microsoft windows just cut and paste it into the first cell in excel. That will make it easier to read.U.S.A & Canada Kerosene Gasoline, "Gas" "Coleman Fuel", White gas, Naphta, Blazo Denatured Alcohol, Solvent AlcoholU.K. Paraffin Petrol "Coleman Fuel" Methylated spirit, "meths"Argentina Kerosene Nafta sin Plomo ??? , ("Coleman fuel"?) Alcohol de quemar (=denaturalized alcohol) or Alcohol medicinal (=pharmaceutical alcohol).Australia Kerosene, "kero" Petrol Shellite, Mobilite, White gas Methylated spirit, "meths", "metho" Austria Petroleum Bleifrei Reinigunsbenzin Brennspiritus denaturoitu alkohooli, denaturerad alkohol.Brand names are for instance SINOL or MARINOLGermany Petroleum, Paraffinol, Petrol, Lampenoel Benzin, Bleifrei, Auto-Benzin, Superbenzin Kocherbenzin, Feuerzeug Benzin, Katalyt Benzin, Reinigungsbenzin, Reinbenzin, Fleckenbenzin, Wundbenzin Spiritus, Brennspiritus, Methyl Alkohol Holland Petroleum, Lampen-Olie Benzine, Super, Loodvrij, Normal 16 Wasbenzine, "Coleman Fuel" Spiritus, Brand Spiritus, AlcoholJapan Toh-yu Gasoline White gas, "Coleman Fuel" Nen-ryo yoh, AlcoholNew Zealand Kerosene Petrol White Spirit, Shellite, Callite, Britolite, Pegasol Methylated SpiritsNorway Parafin Bensin Renset Bensin, Heptan, Katlyt Bensin Rod-SpritSouth Africa +Zimbabwe Paraffin Petrol Benzine Methylated spirits, "meths"Sweden Fotogen, T-gul, Tändvätska, lysfotogen Blyfri bensin, bensin Rengörings bensin, Industribensin, Kemiskt ren Bensin, Statoil miljö T-sprit, T-röd, MetanolI hope that tis works. smile------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wuss aka wussy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You should flog him with your poi Cassandra!!! Sheesh! rolleyes What a spoiled brat!Naphtha is the spelling of it, I was told, no matter where you go. Whether or not this is true I can only guess.Cassandra, lighter fluid that goes into Zippo lighters is the same thing sold in smaller amounts(NOT butane!).Honestly I would tell him if he wants it so damn bad he can get a good tour of Paris by going from shop to shop looking for it! grinLove n hugs(And see both of you...I didn't even use any winky faces!)------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Naaa, she's not into that kinda stuff... I asked. wink (to Pele) wink (to Cassandra) wink (sorry, just had something in my eye on that one...)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Just give him Kerosine and tell him it's white gas. Just tell him that it's a new brand that burns longer and not as hot (sense it sounds like he's afraid of burns).In my opinion Kero is far, far supirior to white gas in almost every way. But then thats just my preferance.

Jesus helps me trick people.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm deadset against Kero. I hate it.No offence or anything but I don't think Kero beats ANY other fuel, it's my least favorite.For trailing whitegas rocks. Gives the best trails and doesn't stick arond too long. I can paint nicely with whitegas (and effectively burn patches of hair off my chest and stomach.... mmmmmm... sexy clumps of hair. wink)For eating Kerosine SUUUUUUCKS... unless you like that always popular kerosine hangover the next day... I prefer the short "whitegas breath" to the extemded toxicity of Kero anyday...For twirling I'd never use either. Both are far too volitile. Lampoil rocks.Maybe one of y'all can explain the "joys of kerosine" since some of you seem to love it so... but as someone who's tried all three fuels extensively I stick to my guns: Keep your black buggers, Kero sucks.Ain't nobody slippin' me a kerosine mickey and tellin' me it's whitegas... winkAnyone else who's used both want to chime in?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I agree with you about the trailing. Kero sucks for that. As for fire breathing I don't do it, and I would never suggest that anyone put kero, white gas, pariffen, naptha, or anything like it in thier mouth. Sounds like a bad idea to me.But for spinning Kero is probobly the least volitile fuel to use. You can actually put a lit wick out in it (granted this needs to be done quickly, but it can be done) Kero burns for longer than most fuels and burns cooler, so if your wicks make (breif) contact with your skin you will only have a black smudge rather than a second degree burn. You can put your wicks in it, after you've spun them out, to keep them from smouldering. Try that with white gas. You also don't get any of the dripping flame that you get with white gas. And as you've apparently read my "What the $@%$ is wrong with people" thread you can see how quickly things can get out of hand with white gas. I've never even had a close call with straight kero.I do, however, when it is very cold here, use a 90/10 mix of kero/white gas, to light my wicks faster, as kero can be a little hard to light in the cold.And that is the story of why I like Kerosine cool

Jesus helps me trick people.

4,224 posts

Posted:
Steelwings ... YOU ROCK !! I am always amazed at people like you or Adam and the logic, precision and efficiency you have... Chances are low I'll set Anyone on fire with the wrong fuel now ...Pele, yes, i'll just grab his hand and take him on a treasure... or white gas hunt through the city of light and love... sounds pretty cool to me winkNYC flog you ? damn right i'm not into that ... but then again , there are tons of other things one can do with chains ... winkShine on you crazy people smileCassandra

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Pele, So the "lighter fluid" in the zippo I got for Christmas is whitegas? Cool, I thought it smelled familiar. smileI'm sure we can at least find that...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
NYC, the ONLY advantage of kero for me, over lamp oil or pegasol is that it's cheap!Nothing else. Volatility here in NZ is the same as lamp oil and pegasol, but the smell and the smoke and the smell and the smell and the smell are the five major problems. Oh yeah, and the taste... (not that i firebreath anymore anyways).It's interesting that you call it volatile, as I use it a lot for busking (coz its CHEAP!) and often extinguish my wicks by dunking them into the tin. shockedIt seems to have the same properties as pegasol or lamp oil IMHO.*NOTE TO EVERYONE READING* This is not recommended for any fuel except lamp oil, pegasol or kero (parrafin). DO NOT DUNK LIT INSIDE OR WHEN YOU DO NOT HAVE A LARGE AREA AROUND YOU. Be careful not to accidentally knock the tin over when dunking. Also, don't leave any of the wick stick out the top or it will act like a big candle and heat up the kero to the point where it will catch light.*****------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Check out the Fuel FAQ: https://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/fuel/fuel32.htmThr
French equivalents to white gas (shellite) are Petrol a Bruler, Essence filtree, Blanche sans plomb, Essence C, Essence a l'usage domestique smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
After begging a certain knucklehead to "Just bring me to a store where they sell tents!" I was able to find out why Cassandra had so much trouble finding Coleman Fuel. It seems in France it is sold under the name "Coleman Fuel"... so for those of you traveling in France in the future who need Coleman Fuel remember to ask for "Coleman Fuel". They are sold in bottles with the words "Coleman Fuel" printed in large letters.Though coleman fuel was still cheap, DAMN lamp oil was expensive!Anyway, the moral of the story is that "Coleman" is a pretty international camping stove company and anyone looking for the stuff in shouldn't have THAT much trouble finding it.Unless she smokes crack. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

4,224 posts

Posted:
NYC, you crackhead ! I knew you'd make fun of me on that one ... Well, you did get that fuel and do that sexy trailing in the end ... so why complain winkBesides... I know you loved running all over the city with me freezing our asses trying to find that fuel winkthanks everyone Shine onCassandra