swiftythefireguymember
61 posts

Posted:
hey swifty here well what are you using for wick material i have been using fiberglass matt since the summer it works great its cheap and lasts forever tell me what you think eh!

dont ever ask me whta time it is ?where are we? or are we there yet? because the time is now!we here !and we wil never be there !

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Moved this for ya to technical!I thought fiberglass was known for emitting toxic smoke when burned. Maybe I am mistaken though.I use Kevlar and cotton for my various wicks.Both work wonderfully and last well.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I don't think there's a toxicity problem with fiberglass--it is, after all, glass, and glass is very non-reactive. However, a lot of fiberglass has a different problem, which is that hairy little loose glass fibers poke you and can get embedded in your skin. I think there may be special weaves of 'glass that avoid this problem, but it is a problem. You don't want to touch the stuff. It won't kill you, but it'll itch something fierce.Oh yeah, I might as well answer the original question: I use a kevlar/fiberglass blend that avoids the aforementioned problem.[This message has been edited by adamrice (edited 06 December 2001).]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

swiftythefireguymember
61 posts

Posted:
yeah the glass does itch a bit mostly just when i am wrapping them i also use a combo of matt and roven ( a finley wove cloth that does not realy splinter to much)i make a heavy wrap 2-4 inches thick on my staff of chop matt then make a layer of the roven to hold the chop matt together then tie it on with some small hose clamps or wire or a combo of both

dont ever ask me whta time it is ?where are we? or are we there yet? because the time is now!we here !and we wil never be there !

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
I use plain Kevlar, without the metal wiring. Two inches wide, 1/8" thick. The kind of stuff you can get from Renegade Juggling.