Missymember
10 posts

Posted:
someone recently suggested that i coat my mouth with olive oil to help keep fuel from soaking into my mouth. She also coates her skin with mineral oul before spinning poi or blowing fire. she said it keeps the fule from soaking into her skin and helps prevent burns. correct me if im wrong, but isnt mineral oil so widley used because it soakes into the skin?? i dont know... olive oil sounds good, but mineral oil almost sounds kinda nutty. I see that some of you use malox or buttermilk for accidental swollows, but do any of you coat your mouths with anything? :-) Missy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Missy.I don't use anything to coat my mouth. Why? It actually increases your chances of mishaps.Let me put it this way. Oil's are used for cooking so when they heat up they burn. So now, say you are putting a torch near your mouth and inhale the flame a bit (yes I do this as a trick), the oil heats up and you get an all over topical burn. Without oil you get burned only where the fire touches...and I (knock on wood) have not had this happen.Most oils will soak into the skin, which is why they are used as moisturizers. The best they truly offer is to defeat the dry skin effect left by the heat.If you are concerned with absorbtion, then try a thick lotion such as Baby Magic by Johnson and Johnson or Silicon Gloves by Avon. They soak into your skin but also leave this residue on the top of your skin (you can feel it). It might help with absorbtion but I do know it helps make clean up easier.Truthfully (and not being mean) if you are breathing fire, absorption is the least of your worries. Anything you add to your mouth just stands to enhance any mishaps that might occur.Best of luck to you!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

carpe_noxmember
13 posts

Posted:
ok, i feel that i should warn you of the dangers involved in fire breathing. I am aware that you can have fire breathing lessons, and can go to shops and buy the correct equipment to do this, but no one warns you about the actual dangers involved, if this is not a criminal act i dont know what is. If you fire breath within 5 years you are looking at a good chance of a fatal disease such as cancer of the liver.Everytime you breathe you partly injest some fuel, this fuel runs through your body party distroying everything it comes across, among kiling brain cells, kidney cells and liver cells, you kill all your taste buds, and if you are anything like me, i love food, and want to enjoy it.When starting breathing its very important to know exactly what you are doing and what you are in for in the long run.Im not trying to be all parental, i just feel that its very important that you have some sort of idea what you are doing to your body. If you are younger then 21, you should really consider stopping, and re-thinking until you are 21, as your organs arent fully developed, and are going to suffer more then if they are.You are at least a little weary about absorbtion, so i hope that i have at least given you some idea of what you are doing.Take care, and have fun!!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay....here I go again.Carpe_Nox, I do not know where you got your information from but while you are completely correct in your cautionary speech (and I spuuort it fully) there were some things that you mention which are simply not true. Fire breathing will not kill your brain cells, in fact the fuel comes no where near your brain unless you mainline it into your bloodstream! Over time the small amounts of fuel we ingest CAN (not will) cause cancer of the internal and topical natures or problems similar to alcohol consumption to your liver, kidneys, stomach, which is why a detox regime is important I am finding, so as to flush the toxins from your system and give your body a chance to recouperate.If you inhale the fuel you can suffer serious issues with your respiratory tract, including emphasema effects, chemical burn to the lungs and/or chemical pnuemonia.If you suffer a blowback you will have serious issues with your respiratory tract, as well as damage to your face and mouth.Unless you are using gasolene your taste buds will be fine. The risks for fire breathing are no less monumental than they are for alcohol, drug and cigarette use, and they are important to know. This is nothing to play with and is not a parlor trick, I agree. However, there is no research stating how long before a person will die from it. Some people have been breathing healthfully for over 30 years in the Ren circuit (where I primarily perform), while others die after a year from poisoning, or most commonly a blowback.I support your enthusiasm for caution whole heartedly Carpe but please check your facts before you state them. This is dangerous enough while informed, it gets worse when paranoid people run after me screaming "Don't do that you'll kill your taste buds!" wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

stiltfiremember
19 posts

Posted:
Pele,what kind of detox do you do? I like to think that I breath safely, so I'm curious what else you do. I already space out my fire breathing sessions.Thanks.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Let me explain that several years ago I took herbalism classes and healthy living course to get a certification in it. This is where I learned this and actually it's a new age for your health thing. I used to do this once a week and am now getting back into it. Not only does it help to detox from fire but just from daily life (preservatives, caffeine, smoke/smog, vitamin and herbal supplement intake which can build up in your system and such) supposedly. I know I used to feel amazing because of doing this.Anyway, at least once a month, preferably more often and the same day each week, you follow a specialized diet and exercise regime. I am starting to do mine on Monday. First of all the day is started with a yoga routine. Then the only foods that can be eaten are the strong liquid/water based ...such as lettuce, celery, oranges, grapefruit, apples, cucumbers, tomatoes, grapes... This means no starches, no sugars, no dairy and no meats. Even the heavier vegetables should be avoided like carrots, corn, peas, beans and the like. The only things you can drink are citric acid based 100% juice, cranberry juice, and purified water (love my Brita). The reasoning for this is that citric acid is a natural detoxifier, and roughage cleans you system as well. The cranberry juice acts as a slight buffer for the acid, and also cleans the system. The foods are all easily digested and light so you don't bog down your system. End the day with another quiet yoga or meditation session.I also use this day to do a chamomile steam treatment on my skin. Add a bunch of chamomile tea bags to boiling water and sit in small room (bathroom) in it, like a sauna thing. This helps the pores to open and cleanse themselves. A lavender wash after will help really clean the pores.I know it sounds newagey and extreme but I had checked with a doctor at the time I did it and she said it was perfectly safe and she thought it was such a good idea, as long as it isn't done more than once per week, that she was going to do it as well. Also, I want to say that you shouldn't take a daily vitamin during this day either, as they are really harsh on the stomach and can defeat the detox purpose.Now that I am getting more and more heavily into the fire, I find it is a better and better idea and am going to try to do it at least every two weeks.In truth I am not one of those really strange placid yogi people but my theory is, if this helps my longevity, I'll do it.And, if you want something else to do to improve your joints and flexibility (and these really takes a strong stomach constitution until you get used to them)1. Bring skim milk to a slow boil, stir in about a teaspoonful of turmeric (a yellow spice) and some regular honey. Drink a regular 8 oz. cup of this daily. It does help. It is a yogi thing but my mother's doctor for her artheritis told her to do it as well. The three combined do something for the joints to make them a bit more pliable. It is a good morning drink, once you get used to it! wink2. (This is for those of drinking age) Again from my mother's joint Dr. Take a glass jar and fill it full of golden raisins (they have to be the gold ones, not the black ones). Then fill the jar with gin. Keep refilling the jar with gin until the raisins are plump and full. Eat 8 of these a day. In my research I read that there is a chemical reaction between the gold raisins and the gin that produces an enzyme that actually enhances your joint flexibility. It is kind of strong tasting, as you can imagine, and is good for right before bed.Anyway, there you have it. Detox and joint health for all those hard to reach moves! I hope I don't sound too freaky. shockedCheerios!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele