byron76member
11 posts

Posted:
for months now I've been trying all sorts ofdifferent things on the ends of my poi. One of the most rewarding experiments has been a set of wire baskets (coarse screen in a 4"x6" cylinder shape, open at top). I am a welder so I have Kevlar gloves that work well to pick out coals from a camp fire (thick leather gloves work well also). A fist-sized coal in each basket makes for a beautiful show with sparks emanating about two feet from the ring. BE CAREFUL though these things get HOT! I’ve made a nice set for shows that is actually a basket in a basket to protect my legs ect. from occasional grazing. One more thing, if anyone tries this, make sure to use a woven or stamped type of screen (lathe wire for plaster or stucco works primo) Do not use wire with solder or galvanization. the solder will melt and fly everywhere and super heated galvanized coating emits some really toxic stuff.These things also make a nice sound, the coals almost sing, and if you can find a wood coal that crackles a lot, that is a nice effect as well.be safe, have fun

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ingenious!Thanks for sharing.I do a fire eating hot coals trick and never once thought to spin them.How long do these tend to last during a spin?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

byron76member
11 posts

Posted:
Hot coals last surprisingly long,Comparable or longer to kero in a good Kevlar head. Another hot thing, the faster the brighter. We go to a lot of festivals so this last summer I got to go around with my gloves and rummage through random peoples campfires for fuel. At first folks think what in the #$%*@& is this guy doing? but a few times around and the ooos and ahhhs start. Lots of fun, well worth the time to make, especially if you find yourself around lots of bonfires and campfires.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
You could use this technique to cool you campfire potatoes down too!(incidentally, sprinkle some french onion soup mix, curry powder and basil, with a dash of cooking oil onto a cut potato. Wrap it all in foil and cook next time you go camping - better than just a plain potato smile)------------------Courage is the man who can stop after just one peanut

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Gee and I was starting to worry that bendy had forgotten how to be a smart ass. winkJust kiddin man smile------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Hey! smileI meant that post in all seriousness! I am careful when spinning fire, but too many times have I burned myself on a hot potato - the campfire just got me thinking about it!Ah well, s'all good grinDon't you worry I will never forget how to be a smart ass *hee-haw*[This message has been edited by Bendy (edited 07 December 2001).]

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I have a similar recipe I use, only mine has chicken, some lightly sauteed vegetables and a little wine in it as well.I used to use it to annoy my housemates when they were tucking into their dull little microwaved meals. Wrap everything in a foil bag and leave to gently cook on a low heat. Then to see the looks on their little faces as I tear open the foil and a thousand wonderful scents filled the air.Teach em to exclude me....But I feel I may be drifting off topic just a tad.

Meh

byron76member
11 posts

Posted:
30% of the vegetables eaten in the US are French fries and potato chips.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
What percentage of US citizens are couch potatoes?

Meh

kneurbitmember
13 posts

Posted:
Its good to see that the spinners on this page will not die while camping due to not knowing how to cook their potatoes. grinbit

I create, I destroy... who said you can't have the best of both worlds!