TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Has anyone tried to spin using glowsticks hooked onto the end of the keyrings that have a retractable cable?I suddenly realised that they'd be brilliant as they'd never get tangled up when you wern't using them, but I'm not sure if they'd be up to it without smashing into little bits.------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
I've had this idea. My work pass is on a retractable ski pass holder and it often ends up getting twirled around.Only set back is that if the weight on the end is too light the string will retract when you spin slowly. One way round this is to hold the string if you want to go slow.If you get the balance of elasticity and weight right then it could make for some interesting oval shaped spins.Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Can anyone say perfect for photons.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Anyone any further on this?

My work pass gets spun all the time, in fact, im contemplating making a video spinning two of them. ubbidea

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Heehee, yeah i've had a set of tennis balls on retractable cords for a few years,
rarely use them but they are good fun.

You can go from massive weave to buzzsaws and back again..

They extend to about 5 feet. Main problem is they don't quite rretract at the same rate. But they are pretty cool.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I can imagine it makes for some interesting size changes...could be very effective actually.

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Extendable dog leads would be good as they have the stop button and a handle build in, if you get the small doggie version should be fun!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
i think ski pass oofa doofas would work best because you could actually control the length by spinning faster or slower, anything with a button would make it awkward to extend it at the right time methinks.... unless you invent a special arm wrap or something which enables you to grab the other end and pull it a bit longer....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NOn

unless you invent a special arm wrap or something which enables you to grab the other end and pull it a bit longer....

To extend all you'd need to do is spin faster and then stop it, surely...the centrifugal force would extend them for you.

Unless the retraction was too strong I suppose.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
That's exactly how they work, just speed up a bit to extend and slow down to retract. It's a pretty fine line tho cos they alter length as you spin fast, which makes them slow down, which make sit tricky.

Good visual effect tho but i never really used them that much. Apart from seeing if i could do tangles with huge poi smile

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TotalEclipse

Written by: NOn

unless you invent a special arm wrap or something which enables you to grab the other end and pull it a bit longer....

To extend all you'd need to do is spin faster and then stop it, surely...the centrifugal force would extend them for you.

Unless the retraction was too strong I suppose.

oh yeah, that works with the ski pass things. I wasn't very clear in that sentence, I meant an arm wrap thing might be necessary if you had some sort of device that retracted by pressing a button, because they generally have a mechanism that enables the retracting which also prevents it from extending easily by centrifugal force smile

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.