Forums > Social Chat > Turnover rate of people on Hop?

Login/Join to Participate

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey I was just making some observations, which lead me to the above question.I have been registered on here since about May 2001, but reading since about March and I know Josh has been on here since the start of the year.We both went overseas for about 5 weeks, and when we came back there was all these Newbies and people we had never seen before.I remember when Superman was new, and Myst as well, it seems that they are old hat now (funky old hat I might add though smile)...Anyway I was wondering how long do people generally stay on this board for? I don't think I have seen anyone that has a registration of 1999 and I think there are only a few with 2000, but not many.I was just wondering if people get into poi as a fad then get out of it? Like when you have a new thing you play with it to death then you just get bored, and find another new thing.Does that happen with the HOP message board? People play with it for about 6months then get bored?Questions...Questions....Questions???Love and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
I believe this could certainly be the case for people who leapt into this, thought it was just so cool, but after they played it to death and got all into it, they kinda stopped liking it and dropped it.Also some people could probably just have left this behind, even though I'm not sure why they would. Maybe because they're not getting as much out of it as it was worth?I, for one, have just started and DO think all this is "cool" but I won't be practicing to boredom anytime soon. I haven't been able to go out for more than 4 days because of either rain or way too much homework...I'm suffering from withdrawl... x.xMD

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hey katinca,I believe this board has only been around since late last year (2000). Prior to that there was something else and the members transferred over to this one.Maybe Malcolm can shed some light on teh history of HOP

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429499592)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There was another board that existed prior to this one, but the layout and such techincal things were making it hard to really handle all the traffic that HOP was generating. So, in December 2000, Malcolm switched to this new format and several of us switched with him. However, the "old" board, being more difficult to use was then alot of die hard professional types who kind-of stopped posting once the flood of newbies hit this easier to use variation, not out of contempt but more out of that the conversations the newbies were having these people had already had and grown through, you know? I know several of the older ones still read the board but don't post. Some didn't like the new format and so didn't make the change.Some of us who transferred are:Me (stating the obvious)Diana the HuntressXaedaMalcolm (like I needed to say that one)The occassional appearance of DraevonI think psychomonkey but don't quote me on that!hmmmmmmm.....not many now that I look at it.Flavio from ThermogenesisCharly of the CabiriMadame X the exaulted fan dancerKerri and Chris of Fireworks Dance Co. are some who started on this board but then kind of went thier own ways.Anyway....there are several of us still floating around.From what I have noticed, ravers have the highest turn over and some of the fire converts tend to begin with much gusto and then slow down once they plateau in the questions. I personally know some who have moved on and away from spinning and fire while others are too busy to get to a computer (they need to get a portable laptop! wink). Several read but feel there is nothing for them to add. At least these are my observations since I have been on it, through the many incarnations.And unfortunately for all of you....you aren't getting rid of me so easily! >evil laugh here< tongue------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

693 posts

Posted:
Thanks Flash, Pele and MalcolmAll is so much clearer now smileCheers!------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I love the gif!!!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
[start sarcastabitch session]I'd like to officially moan and whine and complain about the gif. I am insulted in the extreme that the gif on the old board insinuates that staffers are stupid and poiers are switched on. Why is the staffie's head on fire?? why is she wearing a stupid grin?? The implications that all staffers are highly unskilled fire dancers with no concept of personal safety bothers me greatly.In my vast and worldly experience with firedancing, it's the poiers who have no friken clue and are sporting unfashionable and stinky singed hair as a result of their vain attempts at coordination and fluidity.The fact that the poier is merely pointing at the impending doom of the staffers head, as opposed to reacting as they should, is also indicative of the lack of respect all poiers have in all facets of life. I'm highly amused that the creator of this gif had the insight and gaul to portray this.And don't even get me started on the sexist implications of the gif... why is the big breasted female the one stupidly on fire?? Was the creator of the old chauvinistic school of thought: "women are stupid and lack the ability to do anything physical" ??This gif raises an amazing numbers of pertinent issues, so many in fact that I can't contain them in a single post./sarcastabitch smile grin wink::sticks tongue out and waves staves in the air::[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 26 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
I started looking at HOP just as you were switching over to your new format. I remember little animated charaters in the margins. All I ever looked at were the lessons. I had just bought a set of Zuni poi at a juggling shop. Saw the word poi used in their how to booklet, typed it into my search engine and there was wonder land smile! I half a@#ed it for alittle while and then I meet Knagi on a camping trip. He got me out of that mode, and into the mode I'm in now. Thanks Knagi! But still I only ever looked at the sight, until just recently I decided to register. I realized that this was something I was really into and that I should support anyway I can. To my knowledge it's the largest addressing the topic and it's people. So I registered to show my support. Posting or not I think it helps to let people know who's doing what, where, and how. So I've been here almost year, but only started to speak up recently. (mainly because I didn't want to insalt those who were here before me) Speaking for myself "No fad here!"

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Hey Flash, if ya wanna get really political, why is it that the girl is on fire and not the boy!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

693 posts

Posted:
Ok, here I agree with you Flash even though I am poi-bias and I thought the picture was "cute"...But....would you be so strongly opposed to the picture if it showed a cluey female (that has normal sized breasts I might add) pointing at the fire on top of the head of a gumby male poier?I mean there is no way that you could do a gif like that without offending someone out there...------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Sniff, forgotton... frown I used to be a member of the old discussion board, but was scared away for a while by the 'new fangled' site! I also gave up poi when the weather got too cold (wimp, I know)...and when I came back there were MILLIONS of new people (Yourself included - Katinca wink). Anyway, it's nice to see so many 'new' people grin.I don't always post because I don't have anything to say, or the person before me just said it 10 times better than I could have (or the person who posted didn't use the search button grin). A lot of the time I'm 'invisible'... just having a look to see if there's anything new in the world of twirling.I remember the days when there were only a couple of people from the UK... It's good to see so many new smiling faces, though. The more the merrier!FP xx

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
The Jedi too has been forgoten. Princess I won't forget you. They might forget about us but we won't forget about eachother, right? Right? Oh well.

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
I'm with you Jedimastah - as we disappear off into the darkness, at least we have each other as burning lights...

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Heh, that gif on the old board is kinda funny at first glance.I definately understand waht people are saying about going away for a while and coming back with a host of newbies, over the summer I had limited access to the internet so i really didn't post a lot, now I'm back at school and there are a ton of people hereI'll admit that I haven't been around all that long, but then again I started out as a raver, not someone who spins poi. I think that's changed since that time, also meeting other people on the board in person has sparked my interest into sticking around (Thanks Lynn, credit given where credit due.) And, now that I spin fire, humm the board makes sense to bemore of a communtiy that a place to pick up new moves. I figure that some of the ravers just don't make it that far...------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Kosmik Lunatikmember
58 posts

Posted:
Hey thats pretty cool. Its almost like school, you go through the classes(learning poi) Then you graduate. Hopefully I will be remebered as a good poier, when the next generation comes.Wierd Matty

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
hey pele, by Madame X the exaulted fan dancer, did you mean me? smile i used to put my posts at the old web site under the the name fire fan madame, but i got tired of writing that title out so i simply post my regular name now. my email is the same though firefanmadame@yahoo.com. ya fire fans and feather fans are my favorite toys to play with, i've been doing fan dancing for about five years now. smile i finally have access to a scanner so i sent a couple of pics of myself in recenty to the photo board (they haven't been posted yet)i find my posting rate tends to reflect my free time, level of bordom, and direct access to other fire performers. when i get stuck in middle of nowhere locations it's nice to visit this site and remind myself that there are other fire folks out there that i can ask questions to.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
hey thereim a newbie sorry guys :P ive been spinning since the early 2000s (like march ish) but didnt know about the site until long after..

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Well, it has been a couple of months I think since I checked the board very often. This seems to be a good thread to respond to. smileI must admit that I haven't done so much poi lately, which I think is a combination of a lot of things. One being that with new landlords upstairs, there is now kids that are usually playing in the backyard, etc, and there isn't a ton of room. I also tend to be a bit self-concious. There is a park nearby that I could go to, but it isn't the same as just walking out the door whenever I feel like it either...The other thing is going back to some other hobbies that I haven't fussed with for a while now, especially drawing. I've been going through a big process of cleaning up my room and rediscovering old things. Also trying to organize things so that all of my hobbies are available to me...Other than that, finally got a DVD player, which has me more into movies and Anime, and it is easy to get wrapped up in the various message boards about what new things are constantly being released.Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still alive, and will try to keep up on the board a bit more often. If any kind of gathering gets planned (like last time), be sure to e-mail me! I wouldn't want to miss it!Maybe if there was someone else around here that I was doing it with...ShawnP.S. Just for the record, I discovered HoP while the old board was around. I don't think I posted much (maybe once or twice?). I mostly started posting a lot once the new board was in place, since that was when I got more seriously into poi in general... smile

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
You are correct PeleIm sorry, but i still miss the old board. Maybe it's just me though.-PSM------------------"One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind."-Alphonse Bertillon[This message has been edited by psychomonkey (edited 29 September 2001).]

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

preambledmember
53 posts

Posted:
!!! seeing the old board is a little freaky smile barely posted at all back then... still, not really posting all that much now either grinand STILL haven't bothered registering.