Forums > Technical Discussion > Help making fire poi lighter in weight

Login/Join to Participate

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
This past weekend I made my own fire poi and spun fire for the first time, it was great. The only problem was that the poi were so much heavier than the glowsticks and strings I'm used to using, granted its hard to get them that light but is there anything I can use to get them as light as possible but still durable enough to do wraps?P.L.U.R.Doc------------------Let us Light up the Night

Let us Light up the Night

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Dont use dowel in the metal. Just have screws long enough to go right through.Otherwise you will get used to the weight really quickly

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Use heavy practice poi, and tie weights on with your glowsticks. Then, when you use your wicks, they will seem light winkHonestly. I do this. I have five feet of wick on my poi, and most people think they're heavy... so I made my practice poi even heavier. They seemed too heavy at first, but after a week they felt fine. As a result, my arms have become super toned. WHen I use glowsticks, I just attach them along with my regular practice poi. -n

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
There's something qualitatively different about the weight with glow sticks and that with fire poi. Even light fire poi (when soaked) will weigh 10x glowsticks. I could make a super-light set using cables instead of chain, minimal hardware, and half the usual amount of wicking, but it would still be many times heavier than glowsticks.As the others suggest, you're just going to need to get used to it. It'll impose a different style on you--but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
yeah, i agree with the others, a little weight is a good thing!once you start swinging around the poi it wont take long to build up a bit of endurance, plus a little more weight can make the poi seem more responsive and encourage you to do cleaner moves!!

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone, I did make some new fire poi which are much lighter than what I used before; although they are still heavier than glowsticks of course. I eventually got used to the weight tonight and after a little practice, I found that I could do every move I knew with glowsticks with fire instead. It was incredible. Thanks again.P.L.U.R.Doc------------------Let us Light up the Night

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone, I did make some new fire poi which are much lighter than what I used before; although they are still heavier than glowsticks of course. I eventually got used to the weight tonight and after a little practice, I found that I could do every move I knew with glowsticks with fire instead. It was incredible. Thanks again.P.L.U.R.Doc

Helmember
9 posts

Posted:
A while ago I made some practice poi out of half sized spring water bottles and shoestrings. They're pretty light but when I weighed them down by pouring rice into them I found that a lot of stuff was actually easier for me which I thought was a little odd. Maybe because it's harder to keep the momentum going with poi that are really light? Or possibly I'm just a little weird and back to front? wink I ended up tipping the rice out and keeping it light for now but I may end up making something heavier in the future and alternate between them. Besides, it's a much more fun way of getting a workout than using dumbbells right? smile