[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Do you guys use anything for bruises? since I started doing contact staff Ive aquired a lot of them. Is it true that your body toughens after a while? Does anyone use Arnica?Love,Nics

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Witchhazel lotion is pretty amasing - and personally I think it smells nice as well. Bruises go down in a day!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Well I dont know what to treat it, just time and care I suppose. I know that when your young that you can gain a resistance to bruises, cause when I was a kid my bro used to kick the crap out of me.. now I almost never show a bruise (though it still hurts it doesnt change color)ummm.. I also heard that a healthy diet helps stop your bruises from coloring. *shrugs* but who would want to? smile and it probably wont work anyways.. lol------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
yeah, dont worry about bruises to much (some sort of cream is good to use though) after a while your body can become conditioned and wont be bruised as easily. for the foolhardy among you who are into martial arts, i can personally recommend wooden poi as an excellent teacher in the art of increasing self will and controlling pain!!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I've been in diffirent martial arts for years, and bruises are unavoidable, so I've had many.So the standard care for bruises goes as follows.Apply ice for first twenty four hours (ten minutes on / one hour off.This reduces any swelling and there by reducing pain. After that a heating pad usually helps the muscles to relax, there by reducing pain. pretty simple, yes? This is also standard treatment for sprains, muscle tears, back injuries and impact trauma (like if you catch the end of your staff with your noggin), but I guess that would just constitue a bruise.Also Tiger balm kicks ass, as well as "super blue stuff" and aspercream.

Jesus helps me trick people.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
And if you get hit often enough you will stop bruising after a while, but unless you do spicific conditioning, or just get hit an obscene amount while you may not get a bruise it will still hurt.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Don't worry about the bruises - they make ya look tough!! grin

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Thanks to Bendy for representing the thoughts of the irresponsible macho male. They just dont get enough space on these boards IMHO.I used to use arnica for back pains a few years ago. It works as a pain relief. Not sure about with bruises though.Witchhazel is a pretty amazing universal cure all.A healthy diet. Make sure you're getting a balance of iron and calcium in your meals. Also a slight increase in your protein intake won't hurt you and will help your muscles recover quicker too.That and don't get hit.

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I figured it's my obligation to represent the Hard Yakka men of the world, since my fire pants are, afterall, Hard Yakka overalls smileDunno about irresponsible though! I like to think I am extra cautious when using fire.I think Cantus summed it up well in that last bit - "don't get hit"

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
definately cantus hit the nail on the head, but its often easier said than done!

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
From my old cricket days, I know arnica cream works a treat. Having played cricket (terribly) for a couple of years really increased my tolerance to bruising wink

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Definitely dont get hit by Jonathan's poi - he uses rocks!

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
make sure you have enough iron and calcium in your diet. Putting on Msucle which covers your bones will reduce bruising. Impact training will reduce your bruising. learning how to twirl so the staff doesnt hit you hard enough to bruise...will reduce your bruising..I can understand how annoying it is tho, once you get a nasty bruise in a certain spot, you cant use it properly anymore smileJosh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
hey there's a weird echo about this place.

Meh

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Paw Paw or Papaya cream works a treat, from memory it comes in a lil red container with black writing. Arnica is always good to.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
You can also use protective clothing. I don't have a "box" so I often insert one of my rollerblade knee-pads down my pants to protect the almighty. I also use my mountain bike gloves when trying thorws. They are good when I am using my practice poi since my handles pack quite a punch. The gloves don't have fingertips, so I still have full control, and they have padded palms to reduce impact.

Missymember
10 posts

Posted:
As a belly dancer I am constantly trying to clear and/or cover my bruises. Arnica, candadula (sp?) and tiger balm seem to work best. with the first two you can get a gel instead of a salve and it dries fast so it's not as messy. If you need to cover, most costume supply and some makeup lines carry makeup especially for heavy cover, I prefer ben nye.

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Lavender oil works pretty good, and makes you smell nice.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
cool,Im gonna make an experiment.I got one trick that always whacks my inner left arm (cubefx's devil stick stuff) and one that whatcks me in the right forearm. Im gonna treat one with arnica and the other with tiger balm and see what works.its anoying to have to stop cos it hurts too much to do the move.Never herd of lavender oil for this perpose. Tho I like the smell too.Love,Nix

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
i have a practice poi set that i have duct taped pillows(little ones) to the end of. helps with the bruise issue and makes them go really slow so i can figure out the more complex moves ( like the b.fly...) as a certified herbologist (tee hee i love saying that) drink comfrey tea!

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
ive noticed that so long as my poi arent going quickly then they dont really hurt to bad. but the interaction between a hard quickly moving poi (like an old skool stone or wood ones) and any part of my body was generally a recipie for disaster. i agree with phuzz though, slo softer poi can be useful for figuring out the b.fly, theres very little you can learn when your'e afraid of how much pain your poi will cause when they hit, as they inevitably will do!!

MaaiSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
Arnica rules!
It's terrific stuff! I have no idea how it's around the world, but I use a salve called "Traumeel" from -Heel. And I saw that the main ingredient was Arnica. (Arnica montana D4 1.5g; Calendula officinalis D4 0.45g; Chamomilla D4 0.15g; Symphytum officinale D8 0.10ml; Bellis perennis D4 0.10g; Hypericum perforatum D6 0.09g; Millefolium D4 0.09g; Mercurius solubilis D12 0.04g.)
My little neighbor (1 year old) fell on his head, he had a huge bump on his head which would surely get a nice color. My mom put some of that stuff on it, and the next day he only had the scratches, the whole bruise was gone!

I'm a belly dancer too, but I don't perform. I can imagine that you need to cover them. The trick with arnica is to use it fast, not when it already has turned blue. And it works on hickeys too!

Without Poi in heaven, I won't go!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Arnica is good, ice is good too. ice can cure anything, torn ligaments, bruises, sprains, cancer, that sort of thing.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.