pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
quick question, how thick is the 15 guage ball chain? i have 2 different sizes. not sure what guage they are. just curious about what the measurement is from one side to the other side of the ball. one of them is about 5 millimeters thick, and the other is about 7 millimeters thick.currently i have the smaller of the 2 on ther and have done a couple of burns with it and it seems pretty stable. any complaints suggestions?

anyone got a light?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Check out this page, which breaks it all down.https://www.ballchain.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BCM&Category_Code=SPOOLIt sounds like you've got 10 and 13 or 13 and 15--the numbers don't work out exactly.My own rule is to only use hardware with a 100-lb test strength or greater. Plain 15 has a 120-lb test, and stainless-steel 13 has a 115-lb test (and I think those numbers may be a bit conservative).I've noticed that the 13 has a noticeably lighter and faster feel than the 15--I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different.I'll also just mention, semi-off-topic: do not buy ball chain in anodized colors--this chain is always aluminum, and it isn't strong enough to handle glowsticks, never mind fire-poi.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
thanks adam. i am still not exactly certain which sizes that i have, but the smaller size has been through 5 burns with some pretty heavy wicks. and also through about 5 burns going really fast and ding some serious wraps. the wraps is usually how i can tell if it is good. cause that is where most of my stuff will break.once again thanks. this stuff is pretty thick. i tried to pull it apart and all i got was little beed marks on my hand, wouldnt even begin to try to pull the bigger stuff apart, cause that would be next to impossible.

anyone got a light?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
The way I test ball-chain is to loop it over a rafter in my shed, hook the ends together, and try to support my weight from it. I weigh 160 lb, and can almost get my feet off the ground before it breaks. I've also hung a 50-lb bucket from it, no problem.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy