Forums > Technical Discussion > a couple fire breathing no-no's for beginners

Login/Join to Participate

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
1. Make sure you put your fuel in a container that you can drink from without spilling any on your face. (I tried drinking straight from a plastic camp fuel bottle....can you say chemical burn on your face??)2. Make sure not to drink anything carbonated slightly before or shortly after breathing as it will cause you burp and you won't like the taste. (:Hope this helps someone from making the same mistakes I did..hehCRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Never thought to point those out..I guess I took them for granted! Sorry!Heheheheehehe...you had Kero burps!!!! Aren't they fun??? shocked My understanding (I am not muchof a drinker but pj told me) is that beer is by far the worst thing to drink after...Kero burp with beer reflux! Yummy!!!! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Fortunately for me, I'm a Pepsi drinker and it was only a little bit of carb from the Pepsi. :P Was gone in an hour or so..but was definately a disgusting taste that didn't go away(I even tried eating an ice cream snickers!)...CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
And don't practice in your bedroom.....

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Damn Durbs! You just spoiled my plans for the weekend! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Why not practice in your bedroom? Have you not seen the pics of the perfectly sane and professinal body burn expert that practices his skills on his own bed. If such an act can be done then there shouldn't be any problems with blowin a few fireballs in your bedroom room... wink (Ohh I'm drifting towards the gutter now. use your imagination) Oh another no no you wanna consider.Don't puke two hours after and pass out propped over a bon-fire. Odd burn holes appear in areas you know damn well you didn't hit with the poi the night befor. And There seems to be a hangover modifying affect to it as well.Horrid horrid hang over! (not safe but only way to get myself to finnaly put the fuel in my mouth.)Watch for fire breathers neck aswell. It's addicting to do but if your neck turns bright red let it heal befor you have at it again. Learned that one the hard way doubled up on fire nights and was red for weeks and even peeled like a sunburn. I'm resigned to breathing only when I know I'm gonna get a response from ppl for it. Seems to be a good rule of thumb so far haven't done it since the second night.Btw what's considered a healthy amount of blows for one night? And how many would be considered overkill?

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Knagi, hmmmmmm...I think that is an interesting question that only each person can determine for themselves. I am assuming you mean from a health perspective instead of from the audience perspective..before they try to maim you for doing the same thing over and over! winkFor a single show I have done about 40 blows in less than 5 hours. I ate and took charcoal caps. I was tired, my throat hurt a little but other than that was none the worse for wear. I did spinning and eating along with the breathing, alot, and I don't think I will ever push myself that hard again. Physically I was fine, mentally I was adrenalized but when I crashed that night, I crashed hard and for a loooooooong time.I think that if I hadn't have taken the charcoal caps then I would've gotten pretty ill.Now, about your chem burn....I have never experienced this but you are the third person to mention it in the past week on here, all of which has been associated with fire eating or breathing. Let me first say, if you have that much fuel on your neck you have too much in your mouth that you are not aspirating and might want to concider cutting back on the amount a bit. Next, you use lamp oil right? Are you wiping any "dribble" before you blow as well as after? Lamp oil in and of itself should not cause chemical burn unless you are allergic to it, and if you aren't suffering problems from blowing it then you shouldn't be allergic. Which makes me think you are not wiping your chin/neck area right before you breathe. The heat from the plume, as you well know, is very intense and does reflect onto us as well as everyone else. What it sounds like to me is that the oil on your skin was heating up with the heat of the blast and essentially burning you little by little but the fuel does not burst into flames because the heat is neither consistent nor potent enough. However, repeated exposure and you do get a burn on your neck or face. This is similar to those people who put on baby oil continually to lay in the sun and then after a bit are burned. The oil magnifies the heat and you essentially cook yourself. A little wipe will go a long way! smilePlease take care of yourself Knagi...you know I love ya!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Komismember
6 posts

Posted:
How bout the yummy taste of Kero and Tuna fish... Yumm. I had that a couple days ago.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
yeah lamp oil of course. The odd part of the fb neck is that everyone wipes befor and after everytime however our entire group got it. The heavyer of the breathers even had dark red rings around there eyes.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Red rings around their eyes? Damn. It sounds almost like folks were managing to get first-degree burns.If you're thinking "impossible!", realize that sunburn is one example of a first-degree burn. A first-degree burn basically just means your skin has been exposed to enough heat to cook it slightly, leaving it reddened and sensitive.Did these folks also get red and tender on their noses? That would be the clincher for me -- if the redness was essentially in a pattern that increased towards the mouth and the most forward parts of the face. That would say to me that it was a case of the intense heat from the fireballs.

Agnimember
28 posts

Posted:
To quote Knagi: Why not practice in your bedroom? Have you not seen the pics of the perfectly sane and professinal body burn expert that practices his skills on his own bed?A perfectly sane body burn expert?I don't think so smileAlso, about kero burps, try drnking orange juice.A friend of mine says it completely eliminates the taste of kero.Try it, you might like it smile

Stringsmember
25 posts

Posted:
Another hint is to get some fire retardent gel and put it around your moth, and neck. It might feel a little wierd, but it can help a lot.P.S. Vasaline is NOT fire retardent.

Never get over confidant... That is when your chains wrap and you hit yourself in the face.

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Strings, if you know of a fire retardant gel then you should post a name of it. If you know someone (or have yourself) tried it then post the results. However, I would urge a good wiping instead of relying on a gel. Dribble and flames will still make for a nasty situation regardless of some gel.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

stiltfiremember
19 posts

Posted:
I recently grew a beard and noticed at a gig last weekend that the beard kind of acts like a facial wick. Nothing bad happened, but it freaked me out enough to shave it off. Maybe this is my own paranoia, but I think that maybe a beard is a bad plan.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Several of the fire eater/breathers I know of have beards and gotees, but some of them have been doing this for decades. You are right though, one guy I know singes his beard every time he fire eats, which makes him just look stupid. I would also think that wiping the fuel fully from a beard would be a bit difficult, but since I am a girlie, I wouldn't know. I would say it is all personal comfort level. I agree completely that you should never do something you are uncomfortable with, but I wanted to let you know, it is possible with facial fuzz, if that is your thing!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Stringsmember
25 posts

Posted:
I can't give you a name for the gel, but I can tell you where I ran in to it if it help anyone. While I was working on a troop transport for the Marines, the fire crew had a thick gell that they used on their faces to keep the cinders from burning them. It looked a lot like petrolium jelly. I didn't work with them so I can't tell you what it was for sure, but try a fire department, or a fire rescue squad. They might know.

Never get over confidant... That is when your chains wrap and you hit yourself in the face.