Forums > Technical Discussion > Problems with your Mathematics

Login/Join to Participate

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
I have a few problems with the mathmatics section on this site, I think your values for 'rotational force' are a little too high.The page states that the 'rotational force' (which I will assume to mean centripetal acceleration) for a poi on a string with length .8 meters swinging at 2 revolutions per sec is 15 times the force of gravity and at 3 revolutions per sec is 50 times the force of gravity(assuming no friction and gravity=9.8m/s^2).Math for 2rev/sec:v=2(pi)(.8m)(2rev/sec)=10.05m/sa=(v^2)/r= (101.06 m^2/s^2)/.08m= 126.33m/s^2Force at bottom(2rev/sec):((126.33m/s^2)+9.8m/s^2)/9.8m/s^2= 13.9 times gravityForce at top(2rev/sec):((126.33m/s^2)-9.8m/s^2)/9.8m/s^2=11.9 times gravityMath for 3rev/sec:v=2(pi)(.8m)(3rev/sec)=15.075m/sa=(v^2)/r= (227.26 m^2/s^2)/.08m= 284.07m/s^2Force at bottom(3rev/sec):((284.07m/s^2)+9.8m/s^2)/9.8m/s^2= 30.0 times gravityForce at top(3rev/sec):((284.07m/s^2)-9.8m/s^2)/9.8m/s^2= 28.0 times gravityFor 3rev/sec neither values are anywhere near 50 times.Conclusion:I'm not sure where your formulas went wrong, but in your calculations you switched radii from (.6m) to (.8m) and also you labled v^2 as having units of (m/s^2) which is the derivative of velocity not the square. Also note: Blue glowstix + Progressive Trance = Ecstacy

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'd been thinking along these lines for a while but was too shy to speak out for fear of stigmatising myself.Thank you for being strong for both of us.------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
We chatted about this before... You are right though, good math.I had some typically long winded and useless post that gave the rundown for most of the torque you'd get. Keep in mind that NONE of the math takes into computations of non-cicular stresses such as wraps and even changing direction. Be sure to leave lots of room for margin in the stress tolerances of your poi.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
and so all the inherent (even if unintentional) humour in the original post is lost as the grown ups take to the floor......

Meh

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
**applause** good math indeed but you forgot to derive your second equation to the 2nd level:Blue glowstix + Progressive Trance = Ecstacytherefore;Blue glowstix + Inner Purple glowstix + Progressive Trance = PURE Ecstacy------------------"The tincture of night began to suffuse the soup of the afternoon. He considered the sentence, and found it good. He liked 'tincture' particularly. Tincture. Tincture. It was a distinguished word, and pleasantly countered by the flatness of 'soup'. The soup of the afternoon. Yes. In which may be found the croutons of teatime."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.