KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Josh and I went fire-twirling in a storm drain that is near our house. It was about 180cm tall by 200cm long.To fire twirl under these conditions was really difficult and it required immense amounts of strength in the thighs. This caused us to change our style to suit our environment, and we developed some new techniques and tricks.I suggest you go and get yourself a storm drain. Seriously, it’s a very good learning tool. we take no responsibility for your actions, we strongly suggest that you don't do this in winter, you may be washed away. Children under 15, recommended only under adult’s supervision.------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
You mean the tunnel type drains? (as opposed to the Grease-dragrace style storm water drains)There are some near my place too - might try that.How about twirling in shallow water (not in a storm drain!) for a leg workout? - fire may not be the best choice for that tho.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

J4Playmember
24 posts

Posted:
Okay, so you are twirling in a storm drain. Why does this require great thigh strength? Are the new tricks and techniques due to the confined space? Where can I purchase one of these technique enhancing storm drains you speak of?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
We dont have storm drains. So I cant. Maybe when I come to visit (or if).Occasionally I do staff on a fairly thin (6" wide) plank raised about 12" off the ground. It improves my balance and makes me try harder as continuely getting down to collect a dropped staff is such a pain.I tried it this morning but the frost had made it a lethal suface so i gave up.It does mean you can move your feet as much as you normal would tho.Bendy. How about twirling fire in shallow petrol. It would certainly improve your reactions grin------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
J4Play, it improves your strength because it is such a small space, and its hard to move around or do any moves over your head, so you learn alot of ground moves. Lots of fun smileBendy,You should come and meet us for a spin there sometime soon. It's stacks of fun.------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
As soon as the water's warm enough, or I buy some thermals, I plan to walk out onto the top shelf of a weir that I go kayaking in and have a spin there.I'll probably have to take a broom with me to sweep all the algae off the stone, so it wont be too slippery, but it should improve my footwork as I'll have to be so much more precise.I'll also try to get someone to take photos during the spin with my reflection on the water in too.------------------King of all things Walrus

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Funny you should mention "twirling in confined spaces." A few of the spinners from NYC have a very unique style developed from spinning in their appartments during the winter months. Hands very close to their hips and chest, very compact and static style with lots of hip twisting and contorting. It certainly adds- or rather subtracts- a new dimention from spinning.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]