Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi All,Has anyone tried making smoking Poi and if so what were the results like?? I have had the idea for a while but have yet to manage to lay my hands on the required materials. I was thinking of either using stage pyros or a smoking chemical mix packed into the hollow core of my Fire Poi. The chemical mix may be better as you would be able to pack several colours in during a single burn.------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Wow mark I had the idea too. It never got to the pyro stage. Just pretty much walked into a gas station I knew had smoke bombs and they were out and that was the end of it. Lemme know how it turns out.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
SOUNDS WIKID!!!Sometimes after my wicks have burnt out I carry on spinning which I know is really bad for the health of my wicks but looks really cool!Instead of using expensive stage pyros or a chem. mix, you could go down to your local joke/novelty store and get some smoke bombs, wedge them on your chains somehow and off you go! I know from a mis-spent childhood that these work rather well but generally only come in white.You could also try signal flares like what the millitary/rescue services use - try a marine supplies (probably Bristol Docks might be your nearest). A firework supplier might also do the trick. P.S. These come in way cool colours!!Dry Ice? I do know a dead easy way of making this but I wont post it unless you really really want me to as it is dangerous stuff and dont want to be told off for any injuries that may result.Im off to my local joke shop tomorrow for a few smoke bombs - I CANT WAIT!!!Take care and keep smokin'Gruff

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
I saw this post and began to wonder, what would dry ice do?I guess somehow make a wire basket for the end of each poi. Put some dry ice in it and then close the basket up. I think it should do a good job of providing smoke for you.What do you guys think?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well, call me a hippy, but I always thought it would be cool to swing around a couple of packets of incense strapped together...would certainly smell nice smileSpecially if it were Nag Chumpa mmmmm smileJosh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I tried smoking poi once, but got too wasted... wink

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the replies guys!Especially like bendys last one! (been there done that)Have thought about the possibility of dry ice as I have got access to some but I think some kind of plastic container containing water would be required to get a good effect and this would be very heavy. One of my main concerns (apart from safety tongue ) is creating too much smoke.I am sure to have a go sometime soon though and I will post the results to let you all know (might even manage to get some video footage grin )------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dry ice would be to tricky and doens't give off enough "smoke" to make it worth while.What about those "smoke bombs" that kids throw around the 4th of july, or 14th, or whenever the heck you all celebrate exploding pretty things in your country...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
***please excuse my religous ignorance***but haven't i seen some kind of priests on tv swingin around something on a chain the smoke comes out of? like uhm... maybe they're blessing someone or something? perhaps someone could swing those around like poi? >;]

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
He he, nice idea Rex, recon those big metal things they use might hurt a bit though and I cant stand the smell of the stuff they use . o O (cant remember when I smelt it but I dont think I like it tongue)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Josh you're a hippy.There. You happy now?Hippy?------------------C@ntusWe are old, we are young, we are in this together, vagabonds and children, we're prisoners forever, with pulses raging and eyes full of wonder, Kicking out behind us again.

Meh

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
ok Mark calm down,I went along with all the chemicals, even though I invariably end up coughing my guts up each time...I even went along with sparklers and wire wool, which were good, if not a little painfull occasionally...but if you start creating clouds of smoke when you poi:1. we will probably get arrested.2. My lungs are probably going to suffer even more and,3. Any spectators we do get will probably run off screaming.So, give me due warning of when u intend to do this and I will make sure I am NOT there!!!

------------------
errrm I intend to live forever, or at least die trying.
Voltaire

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Hey how about buyin acouple ounces and caging them up to form a wick dunno what you would use to fuel it. Then go and spin upwind of a large crowd of hippys smile------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
How about roman candles? They'd probably look incredably cool shooting sparks out in arcs when they were spun.I don't know how hot the sparks from those are though, they might be too dangerous to bare skin and eyes.------------------King of all things Walrus

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
U could try adding a substance to the fuel, and theoretically if u also added boric acid or another coloring agent u could get green flames and smoke etc, now what was that substance? confused lactose or dextrose?

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
I once spun with some people who had wired smoke bombs onto pieces of bamboo and were spinning them like clubs :-) They were just little round spheres with a wick that let off coloured smoke when you lit them. These could probably work with poi too, just sit them inside a cage smilex

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
cheers Xaeda, the quest for producing smoking poi has had to go on hold at the moment as I am trying to learn moves and transitions ready for a couple of parties.Thanks anyway I will let people know when I try them out grin------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
reading through this, smoke bombs seem the most popular. they do create a LOT of smoke though...something to consider. the metal swinging things related to religion would be catholic incense ...things. smile you could always change the incense to something that doesn't offend your nose. (?) that sounds the most feasible to me, since the smoke dissipates rather quickly, is scented so as not to alarm the crowd, and won't screw with your lungs as much as other chem vapor/fumes would. (unless you're allergic to some particular incense.) either way, testing first is a good idea. (but i didn't need to say that...ya'll do that already, from what i've read.) good luck on the quest!------------------"life begins between the night and the light."

life begins between the night and the light.

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
I know this sounds really dumb, but plants burn with quite a bit of smoke.. what if you burned some leaves or something? Just get it started with a nice flame, then swinging it around would probably kill the flame and leave you with a good amount of smoke.. maybe?I think Im bored.. smile Just dont use drugs.. they are bad for you.. expecially when playing with fire. wink------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

Stringsmember
25 posts

Posted:
Try this... Go down to your local marine supply store and pick up a couple of smoke markers... They burn for up to 5 min i think, and come in different colors. I am not sure, but I think that the smoke is safe but try it outside first, or read the labels. The problem with incence is that it will blow out if it is spun at any real spead, and the little smoke bombs that you can buy as fireworks only burn for a few seconds... but if anyone finds a good way drop me a line... I would love to break out some smoking Poi.Rubingr@hotmail.com

Never get over confidant... That is when your chains wrap and you hit yourself in the face.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think the idea of dry ice is good, however, how would you make it continue to "smoke"? Dry ice, alone, does not emit the fog. It has to be added to a liquid for that. So it would either need to be continually dunked or have some sort of self-watering system. That is what I think would be the heavy part. Dry ice is not terribly heavy and you wouldn't need huge pieces for the effect. I agree dry ice would work best for this too since smoke rises up and dissipate but dry ice fog is very heavy so it falls downward and collects, so to speak, where ever it falls.Has anyone ever tried spinning anything with liquid in it? It is very difficult. The liquid shifts and carries momentum, even after you change directions, it is still working on going the other way. I use to be a bartender and did some of the stunts with bottles (can't do it anymore though). It is *much* harder than it looks.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i had a turnn with some dry ice in little soft drink bottles with water.....ooopps just beacause im a scientist dosent mean i have any common sense........."hey" i thought theres no smoke coming out of this, then the bottles blew up.. no holes in them, aahhhhhh!!!i didnt find it hard spinning with liquid though, the next time was a bit better, but the CO2 just sublimes off and falls to the floor, what i think it would look cool with is some sort of backlighting ect. kinda like in clubs ect, to accentuate the trails of falling smoke and the pooling of it round your feet!

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hey nice effort with the 'bomb' poi!I havent had chance to try any out as yet as I have been making sparkler poi, led poi and double wicked fire sets since I posted this.I think I have got the addiction. . . . . . and I think I got it bad!!!Mark P.