Forums > Technical Discussion > How many times can I use my poi?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Juliemember
5 posts

Posted:
Hi all!I`m quit new at spinning(spun for the first time this week-end, woohoo! grin)and every time my poi stop burning I just want to soak them and do it again, and again but I`m thinking it can`t be good for my wicks. What do you guys think??

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Fire good!

Meh

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
I use mine over and over, it seems to burn for a shorter time after you have lit it a few times, maybe i'm wrong but it doesn't damage them.F_S------------------Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Juliemember
5 posts

Posted:
Well Cantus....what do you say other than: fire good! winkthanks fire sista!peace,Ju.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Go here https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/news10.htm
read words. Burn fire, fire bright, fire good, fire friend!*external stimuli and intellectual advancement far outweighed by race memory*------------------C@ntus

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Better?

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hi there Julie.Okay...going on the assumption you are using Kevlar wicks, with proper care they can last a few hundred burns. The guide link that Cantus posted is a really good idea of what I mean by proper care.If you are using something other than Kevlar, such as terrycloth/cotton, denim, etc... the burn alotment is drastically cut. When I used towel wicks I was able to get them to last 10 burns with exceptional care, sometimes a few more but nothing compared to Kevlar.Soaking and reburning is fine as long as you don't let them burn too low and as long as you give enough time for resoaking....a quickie will only slow your burn time down and expose your wick to possible charring.The other thing not mentioned is that you should keep slamming them into the ground to a minimum simply because it frays the edges and reduces the life of your wicks. These are for wicks of any construction material, size and shape too.Best of luck to you.Cheerios!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 03 November 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Juliemember
5 posts

Posted:
Thanks Pele...thanks Cantus, much better!!Then watch out I`m going spinning tonight, and not just once this time!Ju.

kneurbitmember
13 posts

Posted:
ok here is another add on... What is the difference between smacking them and spinning them out to finish the burn? I have a friend that slams them to put then out (and I feared that they were going to come apart the way he was smashing them...) on the other hand when I notice them starting to go low I'll "speed" spin them out. Does it make a diference wich way they go out? Is it just so that it dosen't get to the "bottom" of the fuel?Bit[This message has been edited by kneurbit (edited 05 November 2001).]

I create, I destroy... who said you can't have the best of both worlds!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Not meaning to be rude or anything but is your friend an idiot or something? He slams them to make them go out? I'm too shocked to say anymore right now. I'll only end up swearing if I continue to write at the moment.------------------C@ntus

Meh

kneurbitmember
13 posts

Posted:
hmmm well Cantus sometimes people have lapses in judgement... but I have seen a number of other people put out their flames that way as well. Just maybe not as agressively. But come to think of it... what about smothering them. I'm curious now as to what the percentage is1. spinning till they burn themselves out2. "speed" spinning them out3. smothering 4. slaming5. other????????I'm just looking for knowledgeBit

I create, I destroy... who said you can't have the best of both worlds!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I blow them out. With air from my lungs.------------------C@ntus

Meh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Are you being sarcastic Cantus? (hard to tell online, you know.) I often put mine out by slamming them. What's wrong with that? Yes, it wears them out faster. So what?

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The general concensus is this....Slamming them out will fray up the edges faster and wear out your wicks quicker. Letting them spin out or burn down means that you have allowed your fuel to burn fully off and that it is your wick and not the fuel that is now burning. This too will wear the wick down. I am very guilty of this one actually.The optimum way to put them out is to smother them with a damp towel when the flame is low (about an inch or two above the wick) and weak looking, and then resoak in fuel immediately to stop any possible smouldering. This will help the longevity of your wick.However, even with slamming it out or blowing/spinning, whatever...Kevlar wicks will still last inherently longer than most other wick materials.I have also been known to put torches out in the fuel (yup, dunking them in Kero while they are still flickering..and Kero/lamp oil are the **only** fuels I will do that with!).It is all personal preference and how much time and/or money you want to invest in your tools.Cheerios!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
ok quicky wick preservation question, i've been doing the smother and dunk in kero approach with towel wicks pretty much since i started doing fire. i have finally reach the point where i am getting pretty sick of the kero sooty stinky aroma and i was thinking about going towards white gas only when i get a new pair of kevlar wicks. now i know sticking a lit object in white gas is a no no but is it alright to stick a smoldering smoking torch (no visibible flame,just hot spots) in white gas to completely halt the burning of wick process? i thought i'd ask before acidentially blowing off my hand or something nasty to that effect.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Melissa, I have done it with small torches and only once had my little coffee can I use for practice go up in flames. I haven't done it since though, it was enough to frighten me. White Gas is soooo touchy.After that incident I can say that if I used white gas for my poi constantly I would make sure all the hot spots are out before redunking. I have only used it for poi a few times. It still stinks, just it's more of a gas smell than a Kero smell. Trust me, no matter what you use you are going to get that burnt up smell on your stuff! It just depends which one is more of an assault to your nose!Cheerios! smileps...I am going to add to that that if ever you do have even the smallest bit of white gas on fire...don't try to blow it out! Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad! Speaking from experience (in my stage show I ignite a teacup of white gas)..it cause the flame to get bigger and come back at you. Good for effect, bad for nose hair! Smothering is good, smothering is your friend! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 06 November 2001).]

Pele

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm bad, bad...bad...bad.When performing I continually dunk my staff while it is still burning (Pegasol - NOT white gas). This normally results in 10-15 minute burns and then I usually do a fast FIGURE 8 or BTB PINWHEEL to put it out completely.Lots of smouldering wicks, and while i don't put my wicks out on purpose by bashing them into the ground, sometimes that happens anyway.It's the style I prefer for performing, and defintely not based on extending the wick-life. All based on being showy... tongue tongue tongue tongue------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Augustamember
9 posts

Posted:
While we're on the subject, I may as well ask:If you use lamp oil, once a wick has been extinguished through smothering with a damp towel, is it safe to soak the wick immediately and light up again? Is there any inherent danger in mixing dampness from the towel with fuel on the wicks, etc?I have seen a few differing opinions about this when searching through the archives. No doubt you'll all have conflicting opinions now, but at least they'll be definitively conflicting.-- Augusta'In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.'

Augusta'What the flame does not consume, consumes the flame.'

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
What am i being sarcastic about?Actually i dont think I care what other people do with their wicks. Adamrice if you want to slam them out it's fine.I'll keep doing what i do. You do your thing. I'm sure it's all for the best in the grand scheme.

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Augusta, if your towel is damp enough to soak a wick and have an effect on it then I would think that your towel is too wet, in all truth.A damp towel shouldn't drip water, but feel slightly wet to the touch. And many of us redunk after smothering without issues or problems with our wicks. I know that everyone I have encountered who smothers has redunked immediately, and lit back up, including me.I think most of the debates come from whether or not you should dunk in water or if your wicks getting drenched in water is bad for them. The jury is still out on that.My best------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 06 November 2001).]

Pele

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
My home made poi with no special care have lasted through 250-300 burns. granted they arent as bright as they used to be, and are fraying at the edges, but they still are totally funk-shonal. smileI'm thinking of replacing them only cuz I want bigger fire. smileJosh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
348 times if you take extra special care of them winkJosh - how about having snap-on wicks? so you can switch from big to small - tho not sure why you'd want small....hmmm

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
Hey, I use gas instead of kero for fuel due to lack of nessesity, my burns last about a minute and a half, is this just the way it works with gas? is there anything to increase burn time without switching fuel? p.s. is fire poi illegal? i mean camp fires are illegal and they just sit still and burn wood, spinning balls of gasoline must be illegal in some way or another.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Whether it's legal or not, spinning gasoline is a BAD IDEA. Gasoline is especially dangerous. Don't use gasoline. Really.Apart from the fact that you shouldn't be using gasoline AT ALL, gasoline is a high-volatility fuel, and you will get shorter burns with that than something low-volatility, like kerosene or lamp oil. 1.5 minutes does sound especially short, though, and your wick construction may have something to do with it. And the speed you twirl at also has an effect on overall burn-time.Fire poi probably aren't illegal (though they're in a fuzzy area between contained fires and ground fires, which are regulated separately). It's a matter of local regulations, so what's true in one place may not be in another. Plus, the cops can always find a pretext for telling you to knock it off if they want to.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Augusta,I see that no one answered your "lamp oil" question... I don't see ANY problem with redunking immidiately in lamp oil. In fact, it may be good for the poi to stop internal smouldering. Any small amounts of water shouldn't affect the lamp oil.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
ok, as far as wick preservation i have one more question (i know i know i ask lots of questions...) ok, if you build your torches using the metal tube wrapped in denim + glue wrapped in kevlar as the outter layer how long does the wick tend to last? i'm leaning towards this method as a means of increasing fuel absorption and burn time but does this style dramatically reduce the poi/fire toy life span? i imagine that at some point i'll have to remake the toys but does anyone have a ballpark estimate how many times i can burn if i am good to my toys and do the extiguish with wet towel before smoldering approach? 25 times? 50 times? 100 times? any idea?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever made a wick using a combo of denim and kevlar? Haven't heard mention of it around here, so you may be on your own with that one, Melissa.However, my gut tells me you will *not* get better fuel absorption/burn time with the design you propose than with a plain kevlar cathedral wick. I've tested kevlar tube-core wicks against kevlar interleave wicks, and the tube-core wicks have 1-2 minutes less burn time. Tube-core wicks are also a lot more trouble to make.But hey, this is just me hypothesizing. You might be on to something, who knows. I would also imagine that as long as the denim is completely covered with 1 or 2 layers of kevlar, these wicks will last as long as equivalent kevlar wicks would (ie, 100+ burns), since it's only the outer fraction of an inch that actually gets charred with kevlar. I don't think glue over the kevlar would make much difference in the long run.

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
somewhere along my path of curiosity for how things are built i came across the kevlar wrapped around cotton idea (did i talk to someone about it? read it somewhere? have one of those funky problem solving dreams? dunno...) i think that it was recommended to increase burn time for kevlar (i guess it's like a cross between towel wick and regular kevlar wick burn time,) and as a means to increase the size of your torch with out having to buy large amounts of kevlar. i haven't experiemented with this idea yet, i'm still trying to decide what to build and where to start first...so many ideas... smile

Christina aka Str0bemember
19 posts

Posted:
(testing for registratin before i write a whole paragraph and have to start over again)

Christina aka Str0bemember
19 posts

Posted:
i use homemade towell wicks and they seem to only last 3-5 burns at best. i use white gas for ignition and lamp oil to soak them in, anyone have better suggestions?? i heard a 50/50 mix of white gas/coleman camp fire liquid works very well, for a long, hot burn and quick ignite. but my wicks seem to be crap!! are the kevlar wicks really that much better?? considering i wouldnt be able to keep them soaking all the time..

Page: