Forums > Technical Discussion > Self-esteem preservation advice

Login/Join to Participate

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ok, here's a word to the wise which I found out the hard way, but which can be turned around into something kewl. I was going out clubbing (Not that I enjoy it, it was someones birthday....) and as part of my preparation I used my Clearasil pads on my face. Anyway, got to the club, had a few drinks and all, and then things got bad. They turned on the UV (a.k.a. Black) lights. I looked at my palms and they were glowing that whitey-blue colour. "Wierd" I thought and went to the gents to find out what was on my hands. Got there and nothing was on them. Went back under the lights and they were glowing again. I went to go and show my mates and my how they laughed (A sure sign of a good friend) because my WHOLE FACE was glowing white! Turns out, something in the pads glows under UV lights. It is also a bastard to wash off.Needless to say I left the club early.Anywayz, the point(s) of this are:1) Don't use Clearasil pads (maybe not even the clear lotion) or similair products before going out - you'll look like a tit.2) However, this could be used in a good way as a sort of UV tattoo or facepaint when performing, and the best part is, you can't see it in daylight.Anyone know why this is?------------------I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Something that is used as a base agent in these things causes them to glow. I think that the body paint that Malcolm sells has a higher concentration of it which is why it is soooooo bold under black lights (and so much fun). What ever it is tends to be present in laundry detergent as well. We have put hand prints on a friends wall, (with the clear stuff) and had it show only under black lights. Fun thing about that is that you can get very dirty while your friends are sleeping and they will never know until the next party!Oh...and some advice on this stuff...have one of those hand held black lights to put it on, or else it is really hard to do and make sure your friends love you when they paint a design in those hard for you to see areas!!!! winkSorry about the Clearasil thing though. I never would have guessed that! You can always say you were trying to be a light bulb for Halloween! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 01 November 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
i might be mistaken, but is it phosphorus? i know that's what makes laundry detergent glow...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Have you not encountered UV reactives before Durbs?------------------C@ntus

Meh

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Have a look at the container and see if it contains phosphorus

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
OK, the ingredients read as follows:-Aqua (Obviously)Alcohol Denat.Isoceteth-20Salicylic AcidAloe BarbadensisTriethanolmineParfumDisodium EDTAI hated chemistry, so I've got no idea which of these are UV reactive, but I'm sure you clever peeps will. But nope, no phosporous. Hmmmmmmmm, any yes, I have toyed with UV stuff before.------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Durbs, we have a winner....After reading your list of ingredients I decided to check the ingredients list on my jar of Tribal Neon Dance Paint (the one that is invisible until under blacklights).Guess what, two of the ingredients are the same....Triethanolamine and Disodium EDTAI have no idea if one or both are UV reactant, or what they technically do, but it seems that any product with these is going to be glowy!Now we know what to look for in future cosmetics (meaning lotions, oxy type things)!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

BlackJohnmember
2 posts

Posted:
it's not EDTA; that's just something that gets stuck into just about everything - cosmetics, foods etc. EDTA is used to mop up spare ions as I vaguely recall from 1at yr chemistry.a quick search on the web for triethanolamine (yes, I know it's sad of me...) revealed loads of suncreams - UV absorbing suncreams! I think we've found the puppy! If you want a budget UV face paint, try using high-triethylamine suncreams.Hope that helps...

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Just as a final note to all of this, for those of you that are into actually drinking at clubs... I found out a while back that a good gin and tonic will also glow under UV. You might need to use the kind of tonic water with quinine in, or it might also require the twist of lime (or lime juice) that I usually take with mine.But it was a great conversation-starter, back when I was in a new town... I'd get my gin and tonic, park myself under the blacklight at the edge of the dance floor, and wait for people to pass me, do double-takes, and go, "Say, you know your drink is glowing?"