Forums > Technical Discussion > HEALTH ISSUES associated with BORIC ACID etc.

Login/Join to Participate

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
A few of us have been experimenting with boric (KCl and LiCl) over the past few weeks and have managed to get some good effects.I decided to post a listing of chemical substances that give flame colours, and in researching this came accross information that said that Boric Acid had certian long and short term health issues associated with it.For full information check out:www.poishop.f2s.com/poicolour.html#boricacidI don't know how seriously to take the warnings as chemists tend to get a little carried away with warning people (you should see the health warnings associated with kerosene), however it is important that you people know the risks...be niceIthaca

------------------
errrm I intend to live forever, or at least die trying.
Voltaire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
We talked about this before (do a search) boric acid is both an extrememly toxic rat poison and a benign disinfectant depending on what day of the week it is.It's probably somewhere in between. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
I know this has been through the mill a few times but i have never come accross some hard advice about its health effects. Also most of the other chemicals that people talk about have health issues associated with them as evident on the above link.Ithaca

------------------
Voltaire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
My Merck index says for Boric Acid: Ingestion or absorbtion may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, erthematous lesions on skin and mucous membranes, circulatory colapse, taachycardia, cyanosis, delirium, convulsions, coma. Death has occurred from 5-20g in adults.In chem teacher terms, that's not that bad. smile No really, it is used as a topical disinfectant. MY verdict is that it's pretty bad to eat but only mildly toxic otherwise. 5g is A LOT to accidentally eat.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
Thank you, i am restiing a little more reasured now. What about the infertility thing though, i don't want to be firing blanks in a few years time?Ithaca

------------------
Voltaire

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Being a chemist I get to work with many things that are a lot more dangerous but any chemical handled properly is safe.The trace ammounts (approx 4-6g/l) of these chemicals needed to colour a flame shouldnt pose a problem. Some chemicals may have accumilative effect but these effects should be stated (where known) in the safety data.PS I have just got my hands on 250 g of strontium nitrate so if you want a burn tonight Ithaca we can try some red out smile------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Cool orange/red... Make sure you're using fuel and wicks that will allow it to be seen... have fun!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
Shit Mark, I don't have your phone number!!!give Scottie a ring and get mine,Ithaca

------------------
Voltaire

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi Ithaca,I dont have Scotties number but I have e-mailed the fire in the park account with both my internal lab number and my mobile number smile