Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
OK, my good friend Hitokage and I were planning on staging a flaming sword fight at some upcoming event, and we were wondering how exactly it would be best to make the fire swords, any suggetions are welcome, ecspecially if youve made them before, because we havent, thanks in advance

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Partially depends on what kind of swords you're thinking of using. I'd think that the best things to use would be japanese shinai (Split bamboo practice swords) that had wick worked into them. The biggest problem that you'll run into is flaming spray. Each time the swords connect there's going to be a lot of force, and you're very likely to spray fuel either into the crowd or onto your partner.It'll probably take some experimentation to bet things done in such a way that you alleviate the spray problem - beyond that, there's not a lot to worry about, I'd imagine.Definitely don't use 'real' swords. Not only are they many times more expensive, but the heat will remove the temper on the blades and they'll be more likely to break under the strain of heat and stress. Wooden or bamboo practice swords (bokken or shinai) would be your best bet.signe@mindless.com

***peteSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
hey i posted this topic a few weeks ago. so have a look.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
thank you

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
A dude I met recently let me play with a fire sword he'd made. It was a bokken, with a single strip of 2-inch Kevlar running lengthwise up the front where the blade would be on an actual sword. He had then used metal wire to lace up the back side of the Kevlar across the back of the bokken -- sorry, that's a bit hard to describe. Plus, he'd replaced the plastic hand-guard with a metal one.He noted that the thing puts out a lot of heat -- you actually want to stop the Kevlar at least six to eight inches from the hand-guard, maybe more. And you can't stop the sword in a downward-pointing position and leave it there for any appreciable length of time, or the flame will be licking back up at your fingers!

Pixiemember
8 posts

Posted:
I said this with the last time this was posted but we use a ski-pole wrapped with kevlar. It doesn't spray too much because it's too hot, but they can occasionally bend or break from the heat. Need to be really careful to keep it non or soft contact.

FTA- Fire Twirlers AnnonymousIt's not just an act, it's an addiction

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Wooo rule on with double flaming ski poles of death!------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm sure Incendium should've jumped in with an answer to this by now...------------------C@ntus

Meh

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Incendium's answered this question a couple of times in the recent past ... try looking here:https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000257.htmlA couple of things to think about ... if you hit two ski poles together, they're going to get quite 'kinked' quite fast ... and, bambo is wood.Have fun kids ... and don't forget to try the search function or the moderators and their minions will yell at you ... although it is there job and it needs to be done to prevent swords becoming the new sparkly poi - (bases covered)ÐraevonIncendium - Website still busted.