Forums > Technical Discussion > Double staff - Big flame-Big Stupid Charles...

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
After a full year of performing professionally, I got my first seriously nasty burn ever, doing double staffs.It's not too bad compared to some of the tales I've heard so i'm very grateful for that.I dunked both of my staffs, and held them together like a single as I always do to start off, but when I started spinning them (still as a single), the flames was so big and had such a huge trail that it licked around the arc and burnt my ring finger.Problem being, the flame didn't get any smaller, and it kept burning my finger until I hastily swapped hands.I'm not sure why the flames were so much bigger than normal, it had been raining earlier and it certainly wasn't a hot day, so humidity and temperature weren't major factors.Perhaps the kero I was using was more potent than usual, although I haven't noticed any potency differences in the past.Maybe some chemical dudes like NYC or experienced performers like Pele might be able to shed some light for me?I don't want to change my routine, but I've got a nasty, painful welt on my finger and can't really do staff until it heals...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hehee! now you are starting to understand the neuroses of doubles!I have 2 current sets of double staves, and they are both really moody. sounds like i'm taking too many substances? no - all my fire toys have moods.one night, at band camp, just before I was about to make my new set of doubles, my oldies decided to misbehave (out of jealousy I think) and bit both myself and a friend (she was just holding them, nothing more).My newer doubles are fussy about who I let play with them - some people mess with their "balance" and it takes a little while to re-train them after certain other people having a play.One night our crew put on a smallish psy trance party. i was obliged to twirl, so picked up my double crosses. My crosses new I was just using them to please the audience, obviously felt abused, so decided to give me a nasty burn. They know when my heart's not in it.far out - I sound like I need to be medicated!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually...I am with Flash. As crazy as it sounds I swear these things have moods.I have also had experiences where I have done everything as normal and have shite for a flame or the opposite and it damn near exploded.The only thing I can think to ask is were they over soaked and was your Kero "fresher" than normal. I find Kero that sits awhile doesn't burn as large as Kero that is almost fresh from the pump. I also think that oversoaking sometimes feeds more into it.Other than that I really am at a loss as you are when it happens.Perhaps the fire gods felt you were getting a bit too cocky and wanted to teach you a lesson? Lord knows I think that happened to me a few times!Anyway, I hope you heal quickly and can confidently double stave it again.And Flash, if you are crazy, then reserve me the belt bed next to you in the padded room, 'kay? wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
sorry to hear about that bad burn charles !About toys ... I think they do have moods and they all have their own tempo too, know what I meant : speed, rythm...gotta tame them and love them I guess...shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
My Staff has "moods" too..serious, sometimes it just won't balance, it keeps sliding all over the place.and sometimes, it feels like co-operating, and I can't drop the thing no matter how hard I try!I've also witnessed people putting their messed up energy into it. for example, if I let a beginner spin for a while, the staff gets kinda... mellow, and slow feeling.I once let this crazy dude spin it, he was allover the place, dropping it, letting it fly like 10 feet away, doing all sorts of weird moves that looked really bad, just basically moving quickly and jerkingly around with it.I took the staff back, and I could feel the difference immediately, it was all chaotic and kept wanting to spin off axis.. it took me a few hours to get her back where she was..yes her, my staff is a girl.. she remains nameless however.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I agree. Staffs definitely have moods. Mine won't let another girl play with it and be nice. A boy, no problem, but I guess it's a little jealous of another girl handling it. It tends to burn them rather easily and flames just run down the pole (it's wooden). Two have tried and both have had flames jumping on their hands, even if I spin it out for them beforehand. Odd.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ha ha ha, well, well, well. Not that I've ever been a "on-topic Nazi", but I find this thread very interesting all of a sudden.It's progressed into a very interesting topic onto moods of toys, in particular staffs (yay staff yay staff! yay staff!!!).And the first two people to answer it were fellow moderators completely flouting the "on-topic rule" and prgressing in their own defined direction.This is great, every thread needs to be assessed individually and I think this one has turned out much better than my original vision for it.As for the moods, I have to agree, if not a little dubiously, especially when i think about the moods of staffs and pool cues, both of which can have a mind of their own depending on the day or even the hour.Come to think of it, so do my unicyles and my juggling clubs and my diablo and.... grin grin grin grin ------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Oh dear. You poor people. My staffs love me. They'd never hurt me. One of them does have a wicked sense of humour though and, whilst I was spinning for my brother and his new girlfriend, the litle blighter snagged itself in my t-shirt sleeve shocked (don't ask how. I have no idea). I calmly removed it and carried on spinning for a while befrore blowing them out. A quick check revealed no burns. A slightly singed sleeve but no burns.See? They love me! grinMy practice staffs on the other hand now they are real bastards.....------------------C@ntus

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hmm.double Hmm.I think ppl have moods. I myself, have experienced these. I have yet to do something with a poi or a staff that has made me think it was anything other than just an extension of my body...my skill (or lack thereof).I'm not anti spiritual by any means, but I see my tools as just that.Josh

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
I'm in much the same boat as you, Josh. I'm not at all disinclined to animate things -- my computer, a car I used to have, and even stuffed animals, are all things that quickly acquire personality in my mind.But my poi? No, they're just items. They behave pretty much exactly the same way all the time, and I can easily recognize that there are times when I'm tired, or sloppy, or "in the zone", or whatever.Maybe it's 'cause I use poi, and only staffs have personality? tongue

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
So you're saying that you think that all these people seriously believe that they're toys are alive and have personalities?They are not, for instance, joking? confused rolleyes shocked------------------C@ntus

Meh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The beautiful thing about fire is that there are so many factors that affect it. That's why it seems alive. Air flow, moisture, fuel mixture, Karma. Perhaps a splatter of fuel flew off of the torch. Maybe you should give it one shake in the future. Not enough to loose the initial WOOSH that you want but enough to make sure it's not leaking.The only other thing I can suggest is to mail me $20. It won't help the staffs but then I'll have $20.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Could I send you a chicken instead?------------------C@ntus

Meh

Pixiemember
8 posts

Posted:
Drifting with the tangent topic, my staff sings for me when I dance with her. I hate it when other people use her because they can never seem to handle her speed. She loves going fast, and she doesn't let me drop her (often leaping into my hand almost at the touch of a fingertip, just when I thought I'd lost it). She does tend to aquire injuries when others use her, but she sings for me. Anyone else get the 'whoom' sound in a hollow staff when you first start twirling? The hot air and fire licking up inside the staff? I love it.

FTA- Fire Twirlers AnnonymousIt's not just an act, it's an addiction

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
I somehow doubt they're all joking. Hey, I believe my computer ahs a personality, and my girlfriend's car used to have a personality... why not fire staffs?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
It's all a matter of interpretation...Either objects can have moods, or even a simpler type of karma, in which case they will act differently, or they don't.If they don't, but you believe they do, there's all sorts of pschological reasons for them acting that way when manipulated by others who believe they are full of karma. Or even watched by those who believe.So it's either true, in which case they act in certain ways at certain times, or it's not true and they will act certian ways at certain times.Either way, the toy will do what the toy will do and no discussion on this BB will change that, just it's interpretion.Me, I prefer to say that the pool cue is in a bad mood, rather than admit that maybe my game that night wasn't up to scratch... grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 06 November 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
...something about a good tradesman never blaming his tools comes to mind here.... smile

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Nothing wrong with blaming your tools, as long as you give them all the credit when the job is well done.Kinda like horse racing or a good marriage (oops, did i say that?!?!?!?!)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm starting a refuge for unwanted or neglected staffs. There will be an open door policy. ------------------C@ntus

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Strictly no Poi tho I'm afraid. You have to be firm otherwise the whole atmosphere can be ruined by the bad elements------------------C@ntus

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
You should set up a staff abattoir (like a slaughterhouse) where people could come in and rip off all the wick and screws and stuff to make better, newer staffs with.We could then boil up the remaining 'bones' to make glue or something....And we'd have to make sure no-one ever finds out about it. blush------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nzFire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men. *Seneca, (4 BC - 65 AD)*

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Actually the refuge is just a front for such an operation. But we have to have a fluffy front otherwise no one will show...------------------C@ntus

Meh