ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
curious what staff users think,if you get a plastic tube, may have to be thick, but same size as a staff, and fill it with part water, part oil, maybe coloured oil, so they dont mix, and the oil glows in the black light, or even that fluid that you use for blacklight bubbles with oil,will it look cool when you spin the staff,i thought maybe a sort of lava lamp effect?dificult to explain but do you get what i mean?

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Sounds real nice !!!gotta give this a try !!!thanks !If you do make one, make sure you post a pictureShine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
ever play with a balzak?

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
what's a balzac ?

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Cosmember
3 posts

Posted:
That sounds like a good idea Reddevil...What about separating the staff into sections so that not all the oil is forced to the ends when the staff spins? I was thinking of getting a tube of perspex and fitting two tube LEDs inside, powered by a couple of 9v batteries... kinda like the double light sabre effect in Star Wars 1. Hmm, now I've said that, it sounds a bit cheesy, but I think it will definitely make for wicked indoor displays, especially in the winter!?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
ReddevilSounds good in theory smile Make it, test it, show us the pics. If you can do it wih sections like Cos suggests then you could try it with complimentary colours - Red and green, purple and yellow, blue and orange (opposites on a colour wheel). As in have two sections with one colour in each section. Just a thought.cosYour idea sound similar to the design of a staff that Malocolm sells on this very site (although i think they are sold out right now).I, only today, came up with an idea for a glostaff that is basically a cage type affair filled with glowsticks.Sounds a bit odd when i describe it but the preliminary model i made looks pretty cool smile------------------C@ntus

Meh

ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
Um good ideas,also what you could do is instead of water and oil etc, fill it with glow sticksand seel each end with a rubber stopper

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Which is kind of what i have done grin------------------C@ntus

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I built a staff like this a few months ago. I used a kayak paddle shaft which I cut down. Then I wrapped it with LED wires real tight... (like a candy cane), with two wires from each end. Then I hid the battery packs with metalic mylar which was kind of like a pom pom. The kayak paddle easily detatched so I could have two clubs. The whole thing glowed like a light saber and left killer trials... it loofed like a solid disc when spun fast. It worked well but was too short and too heavy. If you were at Burning Man this year you may have seen it, it was orange. But someone stole it so I'm making another one.I have been learning some plastic fabrication techniques which I will apply to this staff. This one will be longer and lighter. The new wires I got are brighter too. I hope to design it well enough so that I can spin it with just my fingers. I should be done in the next few days so I'll let you know.Chris