Forums > Technical Discussion > kevlar/towel wick weight difference

Login/Join to Participate

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
Lately I have been using towel wicks that are about 2.5" x 5.5" but for safety and durability reasons have decided to make some kevlar interleaves. The towel wicks are pretty heavy when soaked with fuel and I think a little bit lighter would better suit me. I'm not really sure how big to make the wicks due to the different weight and absorbancy of the kevlar and was hoping someone could help.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
whats up pat! how the hell are you? well you are right, i use towel wicks all the time. the only time i have ever used kevlar wicks was shen josh and katinca were here. the kevlar was quite a bit lighter for the size that they were. they had them in a circular pater like a "0" is what they looked like and they were about 3 and a half inches wide. that probably doesnt help, but i figured what the hell. if you ever want to cruise by, just e-mail me. i am hoping to have another event soon.

anyone got a light?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about this--I've never tested them side-by-side--but I get the impression that towel soaks up more liquid per square inch than kevlar wicking. It also packs down more readily, so a big towel wick may have more toweling in it than a similarly sized kevlar wick. That said, a 5.5 x 2.5" kevlar wick would be pretty heavy, but without numbers, it's hard to say how it would compare. I've made 3 x 3 x 3" interleave wicks, and I think they weigh about 20 oz soaked. That's a lot in my book.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
would the weight of 2" towel wick be about the same as 4" kevlar wick of the same diameter if both were soaked in fuel? i am curious because i want to try switching over to kevlar and i need to figure out what to get. thanks for any insight you may have on this.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Melissa--It's hard to compare apples and oranges that way, but if you had a 2" spiral of wicking and a 4" spiral, and they were both the same height (let's say 3" tall), the smaller would displace about 18 cubic inches, and the latter would displace 72. In other words, the bigger one would effectively be 4 times as big. This is because size increases with the square of the radius (remember geometry class?). Towel may be more absorbent than kevlar, but not 4x as much.This would be an interesting issue to do some testing on, but I haven't tried experiments on this before. Without numbers, we can just go by our own experiences and hunches.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy